PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy to get Typhoons?

Airbus Student
29th Jan 2006, 12:23
Hi All,

I have heard from a reliable source, that the British RN are planning to buy a Navalised version of the RAF's Eurofighter Typhoon. Rather than the original plan of buying into the JSF program.

Does anyone have any more info' which they can add to this.

scottishbeefer
29th Jan 2006, 14:59
The navalised Typoon was built into the a/c spec from inception - BAe have presented this to the RN in the past. However, just coz they can doesn't mean they will.

Running a true f/w CV is a complete step-up (mainly financial) from a STOVL style operation. UK CVF will be "fitted for but not with" catapault gubbins, but the French will go this way with their version of the same design.

JSF is under some pressure in the US from budgeteers, but the UK, at least according to good Service sources is still with the STOVL variant. If the Yanks can it then all bets are off, but until that happens then we're quite literally aboard.

PPRuNeUser0211
29th Jan 2006, 16:53
This rumour has been about on another thread (JSF or Typhoon I believe) recently and stems from the fact that there are technology transfer issues the yanks are putting up for JSF coming to us, and our workshare etc etc etc so the govnt are at least giving the appearance of considering to threaten pulling out of JSF (money issues for the stovl as we're a decent percentage partner in investment for that), not from any actual resolution to do so...

Here endeth the rumour...

AllTrimDoubt
29th Jan 2006, 16:53
...and the Royal Navy is the Royal Navy. We do not need the prefix "British"!

bluetail
29th Jan 2006, 18:34
That reliable source wasn't the good old SUN was it, I recall in the stunning piece they cobbled together about the recent Coningsby incident they claimed the RN were getting 36 Typhoons !!!! in the very near future.

OCCWMF
30th Jan 2006, 13:02
No - rubbish I think. Specially not with gear that reliable:}

Stacker101
30th Jan 2006, 15:35
I think not! The word with DLO is that we ditched the carrier version, that’s why the French dropped out of the Euro fighter project. Plans exist to harden the aircraft up for carrier Ops but it would cost a bomb and nothing serious has been looked into yet, ill be betting its just a statement to worry the Yanks!! It’s all about contracts to build bits over here I’m told, USA are now saying yank bits only! We will have to wait and see.. Oh also apparently Euro fighter would need a camera for the nose wheel so the pilot can see the deck on touch down!

Ad astra per aspera
30th Jan 2006, 16:27
USA are now saying yank bits only!

That would have nothing to do with Rolls Royce advertising heavily for CFD & Stress engineers to fix a little problem with their competing engine design for F-35 now would it? :hmm:

Onan the Clumsy
30th Jan 2006, 17:14
I also had heard that the RN is going to get the Typhoon. Apparently they were so impressed that the aircraft would excell at every role that they ordered rather a large number of them. It's just as well that they do so much because in order to afford them...

...they had to sell off all the ships :}

Airbus Student
30th Jan 2006, 18:07
The info' came from someone in Rolls Royce, who was part of the development team for the EJ2000 engine. So I don't think this was just a random comment.

OCCWMF
31st Jan 2006, 12:49
So he had no vested interest then?

Foreplane
3rd Feb 2006, 22:31
Stacker 101 is quite correct, the current Design Standard and by implication Build Standard does not have any provision for carrier Ops. It was studied in some detail prior to the initial structural Design freeze. Regarding camera to see the deck, the lumpy bit on the fwd LHS, might fulfil that requirement when it's fitted/working.:ok: