PDA

View Full Version : Qantas B707

Woomera
29th Jan 2006, 09:52
In the Aviation History & Nostalgia Forum there is a thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2354846#post2354846) about Qantas having acquired a Boeing 707-138 in the UK and preparing to ferry back to Australia.

Reputedly the registration VH-XBA has been allocated.

Anyone have any details? Is this aircraft going to the Qantas Founders Museum in Longreach?

Airbus Student
29th Jan 2006, 10:57
Only info' I know of, is that the 707 you're reffering to is currently at Southend Airport. In the marks of the previous owner, the Saudi Government with the reg' HZ-123.

Arsey Eight
29th Jan 2006, 11:43
Woomera,

HZ-123 is the old VH-EBA, #29 off the production line which first flew 20/3/1959. It left Qantas service in 1967 and went to Pacific Western Airlines. It has been with several operators, but ending up with the Royal Saudi Air Force from September 1987. It has been stored at Southend UK from 1999. It is proposed to be flown to Australia to be placed at Longreach. VH-XBA is the allocated registration. Hope that helps.

Woomera
29th Jan 2006, 19:53
I knew it was ex Qantas. Interesting it's going to Longreach. Wonder where they'll park that? No work yet done on a parking area near the museum - not sure they have the space.

Buster Hyman
29th Jan 2006, 21:52
You'll all get the shock of your lives when it turns up in Jet* colours!!!;)

Animalclub
30th Jan 2006, 01:02
Isn't that one of the 707's they went to PX then back to an OO- registration (Belgium?)

Minimbah
30th Jan 2006, 02:28
I visited the museum in Longreach last July. They are having problems with water (rain) getting in VH-EBQ and the museum staff were talking about trying to raise money for a giant waterproof sail to go over the plane. Sounds like they might need two waterproof sails.

HANOI
30th Jan 2006, 02:40
Animal

The B707's that went to Pixie were ex-QF 338c's

30/30 Green Light
30th Jan 2006, 03:21
Quite right Hanoi.-338C's,P2-ANA ex VH-EAB,and P2-ANB ex VH-EAA,sold on to TRATCO in Belgium in 1985

Animalclub
30th Jan 2006, 07:49
This place is a mine of information. Thanks.

Tiger 77
30th Jan 2006, 11:49
This may sound stupid, but why not keep the plane flying once it's arrived in Australia? Qantas could use it on the occassional RPT run or at least for special charters.

I'm sure it would stir up a bit of interest from the passengers being able to fly in such a beautiful aircraft.

It seems such a shame to see airworthy aircraft sitting in a muesum gathering dust.

Cheers

Tiger.

Disco Stu
30th Jan 2006, 12:25
Tiger 77, how do you propose QF satisfy the spares inventory, maintenance licencing, flight & cabin crew check & training requirements and not to mention Stage 3 ICAO Noise Compliance of an aircraft that has not been operated by QF for some 40 years?

I think replacating an entire "operations" system for just 1 aircraft is simply not on the cards.

There simply isn't enough cottonwool available to stuff in your ears to make a -138 Stage 3 Compliant:D

DS:cool:

Taildragger67
30th Jan 2006, 12:53
Minimbah

Rain getting in? In Longreach?!

Info on the 707:

http://www.707.adastron.com/ (linked from the QFM site).

I live in the UK and was interested in lending an amateur hand to help get it going. I emailed the address on the QFM site a few weeks ago. No-one's even bothered to reply. Doesn't do their PR effort many favours if they don't even answer emails.

Woomera
30th Jan 2006, 21:21
Animal et al. The aircraft in question is a series 138 powered by Conways. I suspect it will need numerous exemptions to pollution legislation just to get to Australia and Longreach.

Minimbah. Rain? In Longreach? Been a long time since it's even been a humid day in Longreach, let alone rain! :{

Gaunty - Chucky. I feel another heavy night at the Welcome Home Hotel in Longreach may not be far off?? A replay of the day the 742 arrived perhaps??

Woomera

Keg
30th Jan 2006, 21:24
This may sound stupid, but why not keep the plane flying once it's arrived in Australia? Qantas could use it on the occassional RPT run or at least for special charters.

Tiger.

No need to. If ever they need a good looking 707 for PR purposes, JT turns up in his! Lots cheaper to do it that way!

I wonder if JT will take OJA off QFs hands when it comes time to retire it! :}

regitaekilthgiwt
30th Jan 2006, 22:28
Haha retire a 400?! Travolta will be dead by the time that happens if Qf’s current form of holding on to out of date inefficient aircraft like the classic and refusing to buy newer more efficient a/c like the 777 is anything to go by! :} I mean really what do they know about the 777 that every other airline in the world doesn’t? :mad: Even Air NZ has purchased some, that is just embarrassing! :suspect:
BTW wasn't OJB the first 400 to be delivered, would that then be the first one to go?

The_Cutest_of_Borg
30th Jan 2006, 23:21
OJA was first. It was delivered via that non-stop flight from LHR.

Max Tow
30th Jan 2006, 23:27
Woomera
Are you sure about the Conways - I thought they were P&Ws (Conways only on the -400 series)?

Woomera
30th Jan 2006, 23:43
Very observant Max. Go to the head of the class!! :}

B707-120 series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-18#Specifications): Four 75.6 kN (17,000 lbf) Pratt & Whitney JT3D-1 turbofans.

But the JT3D's would still be restricted by pollution legislation, although American actor John Travolta owns, and is qualified to fly, an ex-Qantas 707-138, registration N707JT.

Woomera

king oath
31st Jan 2006, 02:05
Oz Jet may be interested in buying it.

Minimbah
31st Jan 2006, 05:29
Woomera/tg67

When I was in Longreach last July there was a fair bit of water around the place.

I cannot recall exactly what our guide said, but it was something to do with the aircraft not being operated (press/depress???) that is, apparently, causing it to be less waterproof than it would normally be! Anyway, they were concerned about water getting into the a/c and damaging it. Hence my first comment on a waterproof sail for the B707.:)

Minimbah

Dropt McGutz
31st Jan 2006, 08:28
Maybe the seals are deteriorating through no use?

regitaekilthgiwt
31st Jan 2006, 09:49
The_Cutest_of_Borg, sorry, I meant the first made out of the two, I believe OJB was made before OJA and was used as one of the test models for the 400? So OJB might be retired first for our young John?

Red Four
29th Jun 2006, 21:48
No expense spaired on the white paint today. HZ-123 no-more.

gaunty
30th Jun 2006, 02:59
Geeeeez I was 12 years old when it first went into service with sketchy memories of the news articles, especially one entitled "Homesick Angels" written by a not suprisingly enthusiastic and recently rated Captain.

Stepping out of the Connie/DC7 into one of these marvels must have been real Buck Rodgers stuff. I know my first flight in one a few years later was the most exciting I have ever had.

4 years later when doing my PPL they would close Perth Airport to flying training and anything smaller than a DC3 for an hour ?? either side of the ETA of a B707 arrival. I think doppler nav was being used ? the ADF was relatively new fangled for Australia :p and there might have been half a dozen VORs across the country, so I guess it must have been mostly watch and compass nav.

Or just maybe they just weren't taking any chances with a fledgling gaunty in his Chippy and a B707 in the same circuit.:eek: :E

They must have been complicated beggars, it took this many pilots to ferry the first one out from the factory. :ooh:
http://groups.msn.com/QANTASCabinCrewRetired/crewatwork.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=498

Wooms; I would be there with bells on and promise they wont have to shut down the engine of the departing charter to get me on board.:ok:

Buster Hyman
30th Jun 2006, 03:26
Nice photo Gaunty...13 pilots to 1 Hostie...that explains soooo much about QF staff!:eek: :} :ouch: :suspect:

Bolty McBolt
30th Jun 2006, 04:33
Not sure of my sources but..

I was told the aircraft was a Boeing 720 model ?
Sorry to be a pedant

Taildragger67
30th Jun 2006, 08:50
Not sure of my sources but..
Sorry to be a pedant

Pretty sure HZ-123 is a 707.

I am STILL waiting for someone from Longreach to at least acknowledge my email offering to help - ie. for free - get the thing ready at Southend. They must do things differently in outback QLD, where I was brought up (Sydney), one was taught to at least acknowledge communications, even if it was with a polite refusal.

Business must be good.

PW1830
30th Jun 2006, 09:28
What does Busters interpretation of the photo as 13 pilots to 1 hostie saaaay about buster's knowledge of the business?

tobzalp
30th Jun 2006, 09:55
Perhaps a forward thinker? That share price does look a little shakey.

Capt Fathom
30th Jun 2006, 11:22
I am STILL waiting for someone from Longreach to at least acknowledge my email offering to help
I think you'll find everyone is in Southend!

Going Boeing
30th Jun 2006, 12:47

I believe that this aircraft is the very first B707-138 that Qantas bought - not a 720.

John Travilta's aircraft is the last B707-138 that Qantas took delivery of. :ok:

Taildragger67
30th Jun 2006, 14:19
I think you'll find everyone is in Southend!

That would explain it except that I sent it to the main email address on the Museum's website. If everyone is in Southend, they could've told me and maybe given me a number over here. Surely they'd have some contact details, given that the plan is to park the thing at the Museum. Or is the plan to simply lob in and say 'Hi guys, have a 707!'?

Led Zep
30th Jun 2006, 14:36
B707-120 series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-18#Specifications): Four 75.6 kN (17,000 lbf) Pratt & Whitney JT3D-1 turbofans.

Not forgetting that the original 138s were JT3C-6 powered! The "B" models, among other improvements, had the 3Ds. Wikipedia is slightly off. ;)

Bolty McBolt, QF never had any 720s. :)