PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Tattoo

Argus
29th Jan 2006, 05:01
Watched the 2003 Edinburgh Military Tattoo on TV in Oz this afternoon.

No Vera Lynn look-alike warblers this year, thank goodness at least not in the edited version shown in the Antipodes.

The Omani, Korean and Bermudan bands were good.

The Septic Army Drill Team (with a really fierce looking Sergeant in Charge) was better.

But, from the viewpoint of my wife and I (who are both descended from sound Highland stock), the Massed Pipes and Drums (including South Australian and New Zealand elements), were absolutely foot tappingly magnificent.

Well done Chaps.

Farmer 1
29th Jan 2006, 06:18
There can be few things in life more exciting, more rousing, more passion-stirring than having a piper playing as a formation of Jocks go on the attack.

There can be few things in life more frightening, more terrifying, more blood-curdling than having a piper playing as a formation of Jocks come on the attack.

Whenever I hear them it's bottom lip atremble time - never fails.

Still, as long as sets your foot tapping...

Lon More
29th Jan 2006, 08:54
Love the sound of thepipes. Unfortunately these days too often spoiled by the inclusion of a brass band section . Not to mention :mad: glockenspiels

10W
29th Jan 2006, 18:31
Watched the 2003 Edinburgh Military Tattoo on TV in Oz this afternoon.

Just wait till the convict ship gets in next year with the 2004 show DVD ;)

Jordan D
29th Jan 2006, 18:49
It was either the 2003 or 2004 show, but the Swiss Secret marching Band were tops ... absolutely fantastic.

Jordan

Tuba Mirum
29th Jan 2006, 18:49
Love the sound of thepipes. Unfortunately these days too often spoiled by the inclusion of a brass band section .
LM, it would be a sin to apply brass or wind sounds, with "Western" harmonies, to Gaelic pipe music, but let's face it, some music is written for that combination, and would sound odd without the accompaniment. Are you thinking of "Highland Cathedral", by any chance? A military march called, I think, "The 72nd's Farewell to Gibraltar" also comes to mind.
Odd factoid: "Highland Cathedral" was written by a German.:eek:

Lon More
29th Jan 2006, 22:58
it would be a sin to apply brass or wind sounds
Unfortunately it seems to be happening more and more, even with traditional pipe music, Blue Bonnets over the Border, the Creeks, etc.. The bands at the Edinburgh Tattoo are some of the worst offenders - maybe it's done for thje yanks?

1DC
29th Jan 2006, 23:27
I was fortunate enough to see that Tattoo live and when the massed bands played the Conquest of Paradise arrangement from Vangelis, to my non-Jockistani ear it came over as brilliant.
I'm in Oz at the moment and spent the weekend at a little place on the Victoria coast, on friday night sat having a beer outside a B & B when someone played the pipes for about half an hour a couple of gardens away.It was very pleasant, mind you hadn't heard them since the visit to the Tattoo..

Howard Hughes
30th Jan 2006, 00:04
I was fortunate enough to see that Tattoo live and when the massed bands played the Conquest of Paradise arrangement from Vangelis, to my non-Jockistani ear it came over as brilliant.
I'm in Oz at the moment and spent the weekend at a little place on the Victoria coast, on friday night sat having a beer outside a B & B when someone played the pipes for about half an hour a couple of gardens away.It was very pleasant, mind you hadn't heard them since the visit to the Tattoo..
1DC, perhaps you should come by for a coldie, you sound like you are not to far away from me...

Farmer 1
30th Jan 2006, 17:06
Personally, I favour a massed military and pipe band. For me, each complements the other. The Earl of Mansfield, Arrival, Scotch on the Rocks, Black Bear all truly inspiring music, made more so with the addition of the military bands.

captain cumulonimbus
30th Jan 2006, 17:16
I'm sorry but the only place i'd tatoo "Edinburgh" is across my A*se!:E

Nearly Man
30th Jan 2006, 18:11
"The bands at the Edinburgh"
I hear that for an extra 14p the Edi pipers will let you play a special tune on their pink chanters!

Is it true there's a Broxburn Steel drum marching band next go?

"There can be few things in life more exciting, more rousing, more passion-stirring than having a piper playing as a formation of 10W's go on the attack at the bar"

Glasgow's Miles Better :}

1DC
1st Feb 2006, 23:00
Howard Hughes, thanks for your offer. I have sent you a pm.