PDA

View Full Version : CX DEFO interview in SYD

boeingbelly
29th Jan 2006, 01:06
Hi,

I have a first stage interview in SYD during the middle of February for DEFO. The invitation letter states;

The interview comprises a thirty minute technical multi-choice questionnaire and an interview, the duration of which is approximately one hour.

Can someone shed some more light on the days content?
Is the interview more of a general chat and verifying your documents and qualification etc, or is it more formal with questions on everything?

While the technical questionnaire is fairly self-explainetry and I have read "Handling the Big Jets" and other similar books, any example questions would also be appreciated.

Thanks BB

Kane Toed
29th Jan 2006, 13:09
My experience might help. It's here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=173668&page=4). There is LOTS on this forum BB, just have a search around. DEFO and DESO first interviews are pretty similar I think, so experiences from either will be useful to you. Good luck.

KT

boeingbelly
30th Jan 2006, 03:48
Hi Kane Toed,

Thanks for your information. I read your post, and am I correct in assuming that was your first stage DEFO interview?

Cheers BB

Kane Toed
30th Jan 2006, 13:04
First stage DESO, but I understand that they are similar.

ladbroke
13th Feb 2006, 06:49
Any one out there had the DEFO interview in Sydney yet? Any details would be invaluable.

Cheers

boeingbelly
17th Feb 2006, 02:44
Hi,

I did the first stage DEFO interview earlier this week in Sydney. It consisted of two parts, the technical exam, which was 30 multiple choice questions with a 30 min time limit, and an interview that lasted about 1 hour.

The technical exam had questions on Meteorology, Aerodynamics, aircraft handling, IFR procedures. If you have read “Handling the Big Jets”, “How to Ace the Technical Interview”, reread your old Commercial Meteorology, Aerodynamics, Engine and Flight Systems books and know your IFR procedures, you will find it quite easy with only a few questions that you have to stop and have a good think about.

The interview was done by one of the Training Managers (pilot) and one of the Recruitment Managers. As you might imagine, one asked all the technical questions and the rest by the other. There was the usual questions on your work history, what you thought of your previous jobs, what you expect from Cathay, what are your goals, how would you describe your self, good points and bad points, some questions on Cathay, etc.

The technical questions were some of the old standards, advantages and disadvantages of sweep wing, lift, Mcrit, Dutch roll, flaps & high lift devices, Carbon brakes, 747 fuel system, weight and balance vs drag, Yaw dampeners, Hydraulic system (B737), Auto pilots and flight directors, and Windshear.

Don’t know my result yet.

Good luck to everyone else,

cheers BB

ladbroke
17th Feb 2006, 03:32
Boeingbelly,

Had mine yesterday, sounds very similar in content to your interview. Did they say to call them in HK next friday?

Cheers and good luck.

boeingbelly
17th Feb 2006, 03:44
Hi ladbroke,

Yes that’s right, told to give them a call on the 24th. They must have interviewed quite a few candidates if they were running them all week. Who did you have as interviewers?

ladbroke
17th Feb 2006, 04:08
Boeingbelly,

Carol de le Harpe(?) from HR, and was so stressed by time interview took place promptly forgot Tech guys name. Blond haired gentleman from 747`s I believe.

Cheers

boeingbelly
17th Feb 2006, 04:24
Its good to see that we are consistant, it was Carol de la Harpe, and I had the same blond hair 747 training manager who's name I forgot by the the end of the interview. Doh:confused: