PDA

View Full Version : Site Feedback/Help

ProofReader
28th Jan 2006, 23:44
I haven't got a clue where this thread should go but the Jet Blast description includes "topics that don't fit the other forums", so here it is! :=

I'm a newbie here but a veteran of many other fora and an administrator of some, so have knowledge of how they should/could work.

I'd like to know why the "Remember me" function at login doesn't work? Has it been disabled or is it just me? :confused:

Also, I can't find anywhere to add either an avatar or a signature. Does one have to subscribe to get these?

And lastly (for now, at least), when I joined this site the quick reply function was available and now it's not. :{ Please can we have it back? :ok:

Ok, I'll get me coat ... :sad:

Oh, just one more thing! :oh: Why are threads allowed to be as long as they are? For a newbie trying to join in, they're very daunting. :uhoh:

henry crun
29th Jan 2006, 00:36
The "remember me" function works fine for me.

Why do you want a "signature", ? they serve no useful purpose and just use up bandwidth.

ProofReader
29th Jan 2006, 00:53
Hello Henry :)

The login bit remembers my name but not my password. :( As for the signature ... dunno really, just asking cos I've seen some but can't see anywhere to add one.

BlueDiamond
29th Jan 2006, 01:13
I don't have any probs with the site "remembering" log-ins, ProofReader ... possibly just you or your computer??

Why would you not let a thread run its course? We have lots of long-running threads and I'm not sure what the advantage would be of cutting them off. How would you decide, for example, where the Mornington Crescent thread should end, or the Finish the Sentence one? There appears to be an overall limit of 10,000 posts which one long-running thread has reached several times. How would you decide how many posts there should be per thread and what happens if people are still contributing? Are they simply "cut off" and prevented from having further discussion or is the thread started again? How is that aspect managed?

ProofReader
29th Jan 2006, 09:51
I don't have any probs with the site "remembering" log-ins, ProofReader ... possibly just you or your computer??
Thanks for your answer, BlueDiamond. As it seems to work for two other members (at least), I guess it must be my computer - will investigate further.

Why would you not let a thread run its course? We have lots of long-running threads and I'm not sure what the advantage would be of cutting them off. How would you decide, for example, where the Mornington Crescent thread should end, or the Finish the Sentence one? There appears to be an overall limit of 10,000 posts which one long-running thread has reached several times. How would you decide how many posts there should be per thread and what happens if people are still contributing? Are they simply "cut off" and prevented from having further discussion or is the thread started again? How is that aspect managed?
Sorry if I've upset you, BlueDiamond (or anyone else). It was not my intention to so do.

To reply regarding your two examples, I cannot comment on 'Mornington Crescent' as I haven't been game to venture into that thread. Its non-descriptive title and the very length of the thread (i.e. my lack of time) have stopped me from attempting to 'get into' it. The 'Finish the Sentence' thread does not follow a logical theme for more than a page or two and so is easy to 'pick up', as are most of the 'fun' threads.

To use another example, when I first joined I posted a 'Saying G'day' thread. This was locked after 38 posts and I didn't even get the chance to reply to many who had welcomed me. Instead, I was informed that I was "welcome to continue the group salutations in the TRRBATPSOIT Mk 6 thread" which I attempted to do, without knowing (for a day or two) what TRRBATPSOIT meant!

I suppose it really doesn't make much difference if, when posters are still contributing, the thread cuts off at 10,000 posts or, say, 10 pages, except that the latter would be a bit more user friendly for newbies, I'm inclined to think. For those of you who are used to (or like) these long threads, I apologise in advance for any implied offence - none is intended. I am merely posting my thoughts.

This post is not intended to be a whinge. I have perservered here because I like the 'sound' of most posters and would love to join in more, but am at a bit of a loss as to how to. Although I have made a few attempts at the 'discussion' threads, most of my posts have been limited to the 'fun' threads thus far, which is not by preference. :sad:

On a more postive note, I think that the idea of bolding the names of posters in one's posts is a brilliant one and very helpful to the reader. :O

If you (the reader, not just BlueDiamond) thinks that I'm not worth bothering with for whatever reason, please say so, and I'll withdraw my registration and sadly leave you. :{

Pseudonymn
29th Jan 2006, 10:13
Also, I can't find anywhere to add either an avatar or a signature. Does one have to subscribe to get these?

ProofReader, the avatar is available if you choose to pay for a Personal Title. I believe it costs extra on top of the title, but as I haven't done that yet, I can't be 100% certain. (The extra cost, that is...)

The signature function used to be available waaaaaaay back when, but the owners/moderators decided it used too much bandwidth in an already huge forum and decided to disable the function. For long time users, (for me anyway) it will still show the signature in your reply field, but does not display it on the post. I've just had a quick look in my CP, I can see the check box to show my signature, but I cannot see anywhere where I can edit it. I think this got changed in the new upgrades earlier this month.

tony draper
29th Jan 2006, 10:43
In the olden days threads were limited to one hundred posts,but few attained that number anyway.
Post occasionaly on another site where signatures can run to entire pages from novels,or reams of dialog from the posters favorite movie such as feckin Star Wars,these are the people who tend to call one "Dude" and use things like LOL or LOFTLMAO, so one gets posts that consist of "LOL Dude" then two pages of signature such as the Ryme of the Ancient Mariner or the Speeches of General MaCarther, this is not to be encouraged surely.
:rolleyes:

Whirlygig
29th Jan 2006, 11:18
Hi ProofReader,

My computer remembers me when I login; in fact it remembers me too well so that if I did want to log off (rather than close the browser) and log back in (if someone else is using my machine), it logs me in straight away without even being prompted to sign in!

With regard to signatures and your observation that some people have them; they don't! They (i.e. me) types it in each time.

Also, I don't think BlueDiamond was being harsh at all and I don't think you have any reason to take offence 'cos I'm sure none was intended.

As far as I know, Quick Reply was axed because it didn't have the full functionality of a full reply as you couldn't use smilies and, I think, there were problem editing a quick reply.

Personally I would like to see Who's Online back and Member List!!

Cheers

Whirls

frostbite
29th Jan 2006, 12:08
The site remembers me, no problem, trouble is, it also remembers that for some reason it has also withdrawn ALL text editing facilities from me (bold, italic, even line feed!) so my previously reasonably presented posts are all coming out as a lump of text like this one!

BlueDiamond
29th Jan 2006, 13:12
Sorry if I've upset you, BlueDiamond ...
:confused: :confused: :confused:

If you (the reader, not just BlueDiamond) thinks that I'm not worth bothering with for whatever reason, please say so, and I'll withdraw my registration and sadly leave you.
Where the heck did that come from? :confused:

I think it's just a matter of getting used to a different site. I think it says in the ROE about why things get put into the RRBATPSOIT and lots of folk have had stuff moved there. I don't think anyone considered your post to be a whinge, it seemed a perfectly straightforward request for information to me ... especially about the log-in thing and long-running threads. I'm sure if you give it time it will all become familiar enough that you can feel at home.

flapsforty
29th Jan 2006, 13:50
Proofreader, I take it that you have read the Jetblast Rules of Engagement at the top of the forum? They explain a lot.
Your 'hello here I am' thread was left running for a while, one of the Mods (me in this case) posted to welcome you and then you were asked to continue the personal stuff on the TRRBATPSOIT. Which you did and where you were warmly welcomed.

As for your questions regarding the software's functionality, there is this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204293&highlight=button+do) for you to pursue at your leisure. In the mean time, here's quick fix for your login issues.:

Just go to tools/internet options on your browser and follow the following:

Or (Step 1B: if you want to delete only the PPRuNe cookies)
Go to the General Tab, and click on 'settings' then click on 'View Files'. Find the file cookie: (or PPRuNe.org) and delete it/them.

(Step 2: Click OK on everything and CLOSE YOUR BROWSER)

(Step 3: Re-enabling cookies)

Open IE:

Go to TOOLS (menu bar) and Internet Options

Then go to the Privacy Tab, click on 'Sites' and type in under 'Address' PPRuNe.org then click 'Allow'. Do the same for PPRuNe.com

Close your browser and reopen it.

So far so good?
Next is the avatar and personal title.
Right under your user name you see a link that says personal title. If you click on that, all will be revealed as it takes you here (http://www.pprune.org/ptorder/ptorder.htm).

Signatures have been disabled by the Boss for exactly the reasons described by Tony Draper. Same goes for the quick reply button; it gave rise to an annoying amount of silly one-liners on the serious fora.

As for long threads. As explained by Drapes & Bluey, the only reason we used to cut short long running threads was because they made an overlarge demand on the server in the old days. With our current server, that is not an issue anymore.
Some threads have a traditional cut-off point, like the TRRBATPSOIT, others like the Hamster Wheel get restarted when we feel it's needed.

If you feel daunted, I suggest you get over that. This site is an aviation site. I saw your pic in front of an aircraft without that giving any clue as to your connection with aviation. Eeven if not an aviation person, you are still welcome here. If you are an aviation nut, you probably know that the tone in aviation is fairly robust. We try to maintain a certain level of civility on PPRuNe, but there is little patience overall with preciousness. I am not saying that you are displaying that, I am saying that if you want to enjoy this site, just delve in with abandon and grow a thick skin. :ok:

frostbite, if you go to your user cp, (link at the top left of the page in the dark blue band), look under 'settings & options, click on 'edit options' and scroll all the way down, you will get to a block called Miscellaneous Options.
In the Message Editor Interface at the bottom you have different options. Try them out and see what you get. It differs per browser so can't give you a SOP.
e.g. for me the standard editor works best when I am on a PC with IE, while the enhanced interface works best when I use the iBook with the Safari browser. Firefox Mozilla gives a different result again. Find out what works for you
Hope this helps.

Whirls, at the bottom of the main page you can see ALL the members who are currently browsing PPRuNe, at the bottom of each forum you see a list of members who are currently browsing. The entire members list is currently disabled for technical reasons.

Proofreader, let me know when you have read all this, because then we can merge this thread into the original one about the new software. :ok:
Also, as you have been a site Admin yourself, having a good look at the number of hits and the number of members we have on PPRuNe will hopefully give you an idea of the workload involved in running this site. While we pride ourselves on the fact that forum Mods generally 'know' their forum users and have a good feel for who is what and what users like and dislike, with the enormous amount of traffic we have, we do not intend to cater for each and everyone personally.I have for example now spent almost an hour on this post, finding the answers and links for you.
I am happy to do it on an occasional basis, as a service to a newbie who asks a polite question, but doing it for everyone who arrives here would be a full time job.
An unpaid full time job. ;)

ProofReader
29th Jan 2006, 22:01
The signature function used to be available waaaaaaay back when, but the owners/moderators decided it used too much bandwidth in an already huge forum and decided to disable the function. For long time users, (for me anyway) it will still show the signature in your reply field, but does not display it on the post. I've just had a quick look in my CP, I can see the check box to show my signature, but I cannot see anywhere where I can edit it. I think this got changed in the new upgrades earlier this month. Thank you, Pseudonymn. Now I understand why I've seen signatures! It must've been in someone's profile. :ok:
Post occasionaly on another site where signatures can run to entire pages from novels,or reams of dialog ... this is not to be encouraged surely. tony, whilst I agree that long signatures are a nuisance, the admin functions usually allow for the ability to limit them to a given number of characters and/or no hyperlinks or pictures allowed. Also the user normally has the option to disable the showing of smilies, avatars and/or signatures in their control panel.

Also, I don't think BlueDiamond was being harsh at all and I don't think you have any reason to take offence 'cos I'm sure none was intended. Whirls, thank you for your lovely reply. I have now fixed my 'remember me' bit on login. Regarding the above quote, I didn't take offence to BlueDiamond's post, rather, I had the impression that she had taken to my post/s! A total stuff up on my part, no doubt.

frostbite, thanks for your comments. I do hope that you get your lumpy editing problems sorted out soon!

BlueDiamond, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. I thought that you'd taken offence at my post/s. My apologies once again.

flapsforty, thank you for the time and effort which you put into your reply. As I have now had the opportunity to respond to the various posts, please feel free to do what you will with this thread! ;)

Thank you.

Send Clowns
30th Jan 2006, 12:08
And if Mornington Crescent is not a descriptive enough title, then you are unlikely to know the rules. Just read through for a bit, preferrably from the start of a game (the game ends when someone says "Mornington Crescent", so start at the next post) and I'm sure you'll pick them up :}

Otherwise listen to I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/clue.shtml) next time the series is on, on Radio 4. You don't put your location in your profile, so I don't know if you are in the UK, but you can listen online.

TRRBATPSOIT stands for The Really Really Boring and Totally Pointless Snippets Of Information Thread. This was the original title of the longest thread yet on PPRuNe, started by the legendary Tony Draper, a noted curmudgeon, raconteur and hound-keeper of this site, and its most prolific poster. The thread has been restarted numerous times, to avoid excessive length!