PDA

View Full Version : PSP - Problems downloading music

aiglon
28th Jan 2006, 14:05
My son has a Sony PSP onto which he should be able to download music files and then play them back. The problem is, whilst we can copy the files onto the PSP OK, it won't recognise them and allow playback. The music files on his PC are generally MPEG-4 format; according to the PSP manual, this is a supported format. Does anyone have any ideas what we are doing wrong?
Aiglon

spannersatcx
28th Jan 2006, 15:37
Music must be in MP3, Atrac3+, AAC, WMA or WAV format.
You can only use AAC and WAV formatted music if you have version 2.00 or higher.
You must have 2.60 or higher to play WMA formatted songs.
WMA9 Professional, WMA9 Lossless and copyright-protected WMA files are not supported.
Note that you must activate the [Enable WMA Playback] setting to play music data in WMA format. You can do this under system settings, under settings in the main menu.

-A connection to the Internet is required for the one-time activation of this setting.
1. Format your memory stick if you haven't done so already.
2. Once you have your music ready, turn on your psp.
3. Go to USB mode.
4. Hook up USB cable.
5. Open icon that appears on desktop.(Probably titled "untitled".)
6. Open folder titled "PSP".
7. Open folder titled "Music".
8. Place your music in there.
9. When songs are done uploading to the memory stick, close window, eject "untitled", unhook USB cable.

aiglon
28th Jan 2006, 18:58
Spanners,

Thanks. I have updated him to v2.60 and also set up his iTunes to import using the MP3 encoder - tunes imported this way can be successfuly transferred to the PSP. What was confusing me was that the PSP manual (and the website) says that MPEG-4 is a valid music format :confused:

Anyway, seems to work now, although we will need to work out how to convert the music already in his iTunes in the MPEG-4 format.

Aiglon

terrain safe
28th Jan 2006, 20:25
I believe that Mpeg 4 is primarily a format for video and audio not generally audio only. Seehttp://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/mpeg4/.

Hope this helps

TS