PDA

View Full Version : US Navy retires the Sea King

Cyclic Hotline
28th Jan 2006, 13:48
US Navy bids farewell to Sea King helicopter

By JACK DORSEY, The Virginian-Pilot
© January 28, 2006 | Last updated 11:32 PM Jan. 27

NORFOLK *— A workhorse for four decades, the Navy’s last two operational H-3 Sea King helicopters rumbled off toward the “bone yard” Friday in a retirement ceremony made up mostly of sailors half their age.

The polished green fuselages, one 42 years old, the other 41, will be preserved in the rust-free air of Arizona, where the military parks hundreds of aircraft relics in case they are needed again some day.

The Sea King has been seen in every role the Navy has had, from Vietnam to last year’s Hurricane Katrina relief.

It was used for anti-submarine warfare until the early 1990s, provided range safety during gunnery practice at sea, was used as a fire fighting helicopter, recovered drones, conducted search and rescue and was a passenger transport and mail carrier.

It pulled John Glenn from his bobbing space capsule in 1962 and “Goose,” the “Top Gun” character, from his crashed airplane in the 1986 movie , said Cmdr. Kris Croeber, commanding officer of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 2.

“It’s been the mainstay of the fleet. It’s a ’ 57 Chevy,” Croeber quipped as he said good bye to an aircraft he has flown since the late 1980s.

“At the time I started flying them, they were twice as old as I was,” Croeber said. “When I came back here as executive officer and commanding officer, I was just a year or so older than the aircraft we had.”

Retired Rear Adm. Andy Granuzzo, who flew them between 1963 and 1980, returned to Norfolk Naval Station for one last photo next to what he called one of the safest and most reliable aircraft ever built.

Why was it so safe?

“Well, when Sikorsky builds a machine, it’s like the proverbial brick outhouse,” Granuzzo said.

“It is a tough, heavy metal machine, and it talks to you when it is broke,” he said. “So when it tells you it is broke, you’ve just got to be smart enough to set it down and get some help.”

And it was always fun to fly “low and slow,” albeit providing some significant challenges at night in the anti-submarine warfare role.

“We all hate to see it go,” Granuzzo said. “It carried presidents around. It’s a big box, and you can put a lot of stuff in it.”

The H-3 is similar to President Bush’s Marine One helicopter used to transport him from the lawn at the White House to nearby airports or other locations. It, too, is to be replaced with a newer aircraft.

The last two Sea Kings, both with more than 15,000 flight hours, also have been used to transport flag officers and other VIPs on daily flights to the Pentagon.

The Navy began replacing them aboard aircraft carriers in the mid-1990s. The Navy flew at least 145 over the years, but an exact number could not be determined. About 600 were built and used by 23 countries, according to Sikorsky.

As much as the squadron admired the old aircraft, most agreed it was time to let them go.

“They can be testy at times,” said Petty Officer 2nd Class Adam Stewart, who along with Petty Officer 1st Class Jerry Shue has worked over the past half-dozen years keeping them in the air.

“They are a very old aircraft now, but they are very smooth for a helicopter,” Stewart said.

With the retirement of the H-3, the “Fleet Angels” of HSC-2 will become the East Coast Fleet Replacement Squadron for the MH-60S Knighthawk helicopter.

The Knighthawk is among the newest helicopters in the Navy’s inventory, featuring a state-of-the-art “glass cockpit,” which uses liquid crystal display screens instead of the older analog flight gauges.

It carries a crew of three or four and will be used for vertical replenishment , combat search and rescue, special warfare support and airborne mine countermeasures.

The squadron, with about 450 people and eventually 18 aircraft assigned, will train new pilots, air crews and maintenance workers, Croeber said.

“The H-60 is the future of helicopter aviation,” he said.

“But there is only one King.”

outhouse
29th Jan 2006, 12:09
The Sea King will be fondly remembered by us all, but typically in its role as a rescue machine and the crews that flew her. Again a great piece of history disappears into the history books, but will not be forgotten.
Thank you Sikorsky
outhouse.

B Sousa
29th Jan 2006, 12:24
If luck holds, they will be sold as surplus versus scrap and certain to be flying again as many ex-military helicopters are doing daily......
Some civilian contracts seem to be screaming for the S-61 which was phased out some time ago, so Im hoping they wont be thrown under the knife.

NickLappos
29th Jan 2006, 13:08
My first job as a new Sikorsky pilot was flying Sea King production test flights. I recall the first time I lifted one to a hover, what a shock from all the Bells I had flown! It was a still morning in April 1974. This smooth, graceful machine just lifted and hovered itself, and I could hardly tell it had broken ground. I fell in love with it then, and that love continues today!

Yes, B. Sousa, let's hope those airframes get new lives as transports in the civil world.

B Sousa
29th Jan 2006, 13:27
Hate to bow to you Nick, but the only Sikorsky I flew was the CH-34, what a fine machine, most of my life has been Bell. I can compare it for the small fixed wings guys as its like flying a small Cessna all your life then getting into a nice Beech. Many can understand the comparison.

SASless
29th Jan 2006, 13:43
S-51,55,56,58,61,64,65,70, and 76......what a long line of wonderful machines....in time the 92 will find its place there as well. I love the Huey...and call myself a Chinook pilot....and absolutely hate the fact I never got to fly the 61 except in the simulator.

Geoffersincornwall
29th Jan 2006, 13:46
This dear old lady. I had the pleasure of being on the first RN Sea King course in January 1970 and after my Navy time I went the way of the S61N. We were so impressed with this machine we could not believe it's capabilities. Neither could the Duty Little 'F' when he questionned our wisdom about dunking in Falmouth Bay with a terrible weather forecast. We placated him by saying that we had fuel for a Lossiemouth diversion! We still have 'em in the RN of course (I think we are up to the Mk 6 now) but I guess retirement is on the horizon.

Also worked with Andy Granuzzo when he was on exchange with us at RNAS Portland - where does he hang out now I wonder?

G

:ok:

widgeon
29th Jan 2006, 14:08
All the other ones that have been surplused have been snapped up by logging and law enforcement agencies. The Navy versions all have upgraded engines and transmissions. I am sure these will not be retired for long .

Snarlie
29th Jan 2006, 15:21
Like Geoffers I had the very great privilege of learning the full potential of the Sea King at the knee of Andy Granuzzo when he was on exchange with 826 NAS at Culdrose and in HMS Eagle. He was a great mentor but, I suspect will be remembered as an even greater poker player, complete with green eye shade.
The squadron learnt a lot from Andy and Cornwall was certainly depleted of antique artefacts when he and his wife returned home.

Arkroyal
29th Jan 2006, 17:23
build like the proverbial sh1t house.Glad my bog has a better frame 290:}

Or has that been fixed now.

Give me the wessex any day. (provided it weighed less than the outrageous 9800lbs it ended up as)

Phil Kemp
29th Jan 2006, 17:44
Lots of life left in all the variants.

The former G-BEOO.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/philkemp612/Picture/DSCN0030.jpg

John Eacott
29th Jan 2006, 22:30
Since Andy G has somehow crept in to this thread, if anyone knows his whereabouts here is one from the archives ;) 700S introduced the Westland Sea King into RN service, and a very capable machine it was :ok:

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/700S%20crew.jpg

SASless
30th Jan 2006, 01:01
I see the RN does not recruit based upon looks!

Capt Hollywood
30th Jan 2006, 06:38
The polished green fuselages, one 42 years old, the other 41, will be preserved in the rust-free air of Arizona, where the military parks hundreds of aircraft relics in case they are needed again some day.

Where can I get some of that 'rust free' air, would be handy here on the coast.:ok:

CH :cool:

heli1
30th Jan 2006, 13:07
These might be the last two H-3s to be retired at NAS Norfolk but I think there are still a few otheres operating with the USN at other bases.A contract with a Canadian company to carry out the last overhauls only just finished.A total of 60 were still on strength late last year

Thomas coupling
30th Jan 2006, 18:44
I've bounced it off the sea.:eek:
Flown it onto the water over a hundred times (on purpose). :ok:
Crashed it onto a canadian frigate dozens of times (Haul down). :ooh:
Ripped its tail wheel off. ::O
Flamed out an engine after being engulfed by a wave and still kept going. :uhoh:
Taken it countless miles out to sea in disgusting weather to rescue crewmen. :ok:
Hovered it for hours on end in freezing weather. :bored:
Pee'd into it countless times:D
Flown it in the desert and the glaciers:p

She holds a special place for me: QUEEN OF THE SKIES

toolguy
31st Jan 2006, 12:37
Don't be so sad boys, the Sea King and S61 will be around for decades to come. :D