PDA

View Full Version : Wannabee with a sponsorship question

bakersman
27th Jan 2006, 16:55
Hi guyz and gals :)

I hail from South Africa. Does any one know whether there are any sponsorships for training available, besides the South African Airways one?

The problem with the SAA one is that BEE applies. Seeing as I do not fall under the BEE legislation, that pretty much excludes me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Best Regards!:D

no sponsor
27th Jan 2006, 17:22
Oh dear, I suppose that sun-bathing all week long still wont make you BEE compliant then?

Don't see Bono singing about that form of discrimination...

bakersman
27th Jan 2006, 17:30
Oh dear, I suppose that sun-bathing all week long still wont make you BEE compliant then?

Don't see Bono singing about that form of discrimination...

First off, I don't know who/what Bono is, so I can't comment on that. 2nd, no need to get your panties in a bunch, was a simple question.

I did not intend to make this a "discrimination" thread, I simply pointed out that I do not qualify for, or have a VERY little chance, of getting a SAA sponsorship.

Best Regards!

south coast
27th Jan 2006, 18:47
bono is one of those self righteous bleeding heart tree hugger who has no idea how life really works within an african country...

a tw*t in other words!

no sponsor
27th Jan 2006, 21:10
Hi Bakersman,

It was a political statement, and not intended to offend you! I do quite alot of business in S.A. and come across BE nonesense all the time.

I can't comment on SA, except that I've met many like you who are discriminated against because they don't have the right coloured skin. I think it's a disgrace personally.

Anyway, if you have the right to live and work in the UK, there are some opportunities here, and they don't vet you based on your race.

Good luck to you.

bakersman
28th Jan 2006, 05:18
Hey,

no problem mate.

Well, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions it would be welcomed. Unfortunately I do not have rights to live and work in the UK. I have namibian citizenship though, but same BEE applies there.

Best Regards!

sky waiter
28th Jan 2006, 09:59
Hey,

me being a non BEE type myself and having no sponsorship went the following route, got a job at nationwide airlines as a cabin attendant, worked in a resturaunt when i wasn't flying and after about two years got my PPL night rating etc, i then got a semi-sponsorship at a flight school and completed my comm IFR and instructors ratings,(paying the value back now in monthly instalments) there are a few schools which offer cadet schemes where you work for your hours you just have to show the dedication and want to do it, its difficult but worth it in the end. Dont bother bout SAA tried 5 times!!

Hope that helps
:ok:

Shrike200
28th Jan 2006, 10:23
Sky Waiter, your determination is admirable. More than suitable proof that where there's a will, there's a way....

Exhaust Manifold
28th Jan 2006, 15:21
I think the best would be a cadetship at a flying school, then you're in the aviation environment even when you're not flying, also some opportunities might pop up with you being around.

Just don't become a coffie moffie like sky waiter ;)

sky waiter
30th Jan 2006, 04:27
Exhaust

At least i can see over my aeries dash! or over the ladies "shoulder":} that sat in the jump seast every now and then.;)

tic
30th Jan 2006, 04:49
Bakersman
Gulf Air do a sponsorship thing if you interested. I thought it was only for Gulf nationals, but flew yesterday with an Ethiopian bloke,who did the whole thing. You will definately be bonded, but I have no idea for how long.,so try it out. try www.gulfairco.com You have to apply on-line. IT's a great place, you might like it. I do and I'm from SA.

Exhaust Manifold
30th Jan 2006, 17:37
Try talking to companies that do charters in africa, I know some of them employ guys with ppl's to go on contract and do admin work/flight ops. Kak job, but if it pays for the flying....

sky waiter: van has a big POH, no prob seeing over the dash :D

MysticFlyer
30th Jan 2006, 17:55
Yes, where flying and ops gets done by Saffers. Will do job for food, crime, another story, but don't push the envelope though!

Back home, all the rest of southern Africa have become our problem in sorting out their affirmative action or lack of action, but, don't stretch the limits of the boer...kind warning!

Eleven official languages, we stood back, Botswana, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Namibia etc, were NEVER part of our redevelopment and reconciliation plan, neither what is currently going on with BEE and the minority enrichment programs...OPPAS.

MF;)

bakersman
1st Feb 2006, 16:22
Thanks for the replies guys :)

Unfortunately the GulfAir is only for persons living in certain UAE countried, as far as I know we're not one of em :P

Can someone give me contact info, website, whatever, of companies that does charters up in Africa?

Best Regards!

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Feb 2006, 17:24
I believe Comair also has a cadet programme but not certain if the requirements involve increased levels of melanin. Always worth a try.

As for contract companies, try King Air Services, Executive Turbine, Solenta and Federal Air. You can also speak to Executive Aerospace and see about gophering for a few years until you have a CPL, and then perhaps getting a right seat. NAC also have a programme but it's for new CPL holders. Take a look at this month's airnews for more info.

Good luck...:ok: