PDA

View Full Version : Darwin EarthQuake !! Yep For Real

SmoothCriminal
27th Jan 2006, 16:24
All day it's been kicking up big time with winds and waves in the local beaches....around 3 mt plus, which seemed a bit odd !!

Now at 02:40 local (5 minutes ago) everything shook and carried on for a few seconds (say about 7) which gave me enough time to wake up and figure our something was wrong and look at the fish tank to see the water sloshing from one end to the other. Yeppa...we had a Bloody Earthquake !! don't know the ricktor's though !!

Was something to be concerned of....especially after learning all about the Tsunami !!

Reporting for PPRUNE from Darwin,,,

Smoothie :ugh:

Fox3snapshot
27th Jan 2006, 19:46
Having grown up in the Territory we had numerous earthquakes. One in the mid 80's cracked buildings in Darwin, damaged the new gas pipeline and trashed some sections of road. Whilst our tectonic plates are reasonably stable (Newcastle having proved they are not completely sitting still!) the Timor sea and other adjacent regions in Asia are obviuosly not quite as settled.

:8

Knockout
27th Jan 2006, 21:09
This looks like the one 825km NNW of Darwin

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Quakes/usika7.htm

Buster Hyman
27th Jan 2006, 21:56
Ahh, so it wasn't another Antonov arriving...

Woomera
27th Jan 2006, 22:23
Did Tinpis have a curry dinner last night?

:} :}

tipsy2
28th Jan 2006, 01:33
One of Cap'n "Redwines" landings no doubt.:eek:

;) ;) ;)

tipsy

tinpis
28th Jan 2006, 01:39
Tin was zonked out and slept thru this one.

Must say it bloody weird weather here in Darwhine.

Like theres a bloody cyclone to the SOUTH of us :uhoh:
I cannot recall weather like it .
I'd imagine bombing around the VRD be fun inna bugsmasher

Pinky the pilot
28th Jan 2006, 03:07
Obviously the Earth moved for somebody!!:E :E
Yes, I do know where the door is....

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

maxgrad
28th Jan 2006, 04:10
Felt it in Kathurine in an elevated house. Thought Mrs Grad had something to do with it:E :O

Milt
28th Jan 2006, 06:46
Better get used to the earth moving.

Wonder if a runway has ever come apart during an earthquake?

You Darwinians are fairly close to the tectonic plate you live on with its edge pushing hard NNW against the next one that Indonesia occupies. Something's got to let go every now and then at the interface.

Pass-A-Frozo
28th Jan 2006, 08:41
Wonder if a runway has ever come apart during an earthquake?

I'm sure one has before. Bandah Aceh's tower almost fell to pieces. The controller couldn't operate out of his normal tower. Which probably gives him some excuse for clearing aircraft to take off towards landing aircraft (one way strip).

For everyones info here is the Aussie Government link to the list of recent earthquakes. I guess they don't update it on weekends .

Geoscience Australia (http://www.ga.gov.au/bin/listQuakes)
Recent Earthquake map (http://www.ga.gov.au/bin/drawquake_foyer.pl)

I thought I was woken by an earthquake in Townsville a few years ago. Looked out the window and found it was only the Air Express 727 taking off. :} (I'm not joking, I seriously thought it was an earthquake)

Oh, and here's an earthquake hazard map:
http://www.ga.gov.au/image_cache/GA3043.jpg

Torres
28th Jan 2006, 10:22
Many year ago (early 80's?) when Rabaul was getting up to 400 rumbles per day, I recall sitting on the end of the strip watching a mini "wave" come down the strip and we took off over it. The strip must have had some "elasticity" as I don't recall any cracks.

Conversely, when there was an earthquake in the Philippines which partially destroyed Baguio, the Philippines BAT closed Baguio strip "due to cracks in the runway". We flew in the Aussie relief supplies, in Twin Otters and landed on the grass verge!

blueloo
28th Jan 2006, 11:08
Yes I felt the earth quake at 2.32am, seemed like it went for a lot longer than 7 seconds. Not sure how earth quake proof the buildings are - they didnt seem terribly earth quake proof!

G.A. Boy
28th Jan 2006, 14:06
And Maxgrad, I know you got picked up on your spelling, many times by gaunty, to speak of your home town incorrect spelling is bad!

Islander Jock
28th Jan 2006, 15:05
Funnily enough at 272320 local time in Kabul we also had a bit of a shake that lasted for a few seconds.

compressor stall
28th Jan 2006, 17:44
Moved here quite a bit last night - but was the 75 knots winds! Sucked one of the toilets dry and the stench wasn't pretty....

GABoy - he's got nine letters to get right - you've only got four! :} How's things?

Maxgrad: I heard someone that sounded suspiciously like you the other day on 6610....from down here! Taxying at Ngukurr. Brought a tear to my eye it did. :\

maxgrad
28th Jan 2006, 23:59
GA boy...Thought that was how you spelt it:E
Stallie...Yep twas I. Bet you miss the locals too

As said before the Wx has been seriously unhappy, got the standard wet then there is some extra just to make it even more interesting.

All we have to wait for is a cyclone and everyone will be parking down my neck o the woods....again.

Tipsy, any thoughts on when the first one will hit?

Capt Claret
30th Jan 2006, 04:23
Tipsy, not guilty yor onner.

Mrs C & I spent the weekend in Cairns & Kuranda, FNQ, where it was neither beautiful one day, nor perfect the next. Pithed down raining most of the weekend.

I did get 7/10 for a landing today though! :}

The Voice
30th Jan 2006, 05:01
Nice one CC .. nice one. (The weekend in CNS .. not the landing!) conducting a little research over that way?

Ex Douglas Driver
1st Feb 2006, 01:07
The NT News even managed to bump the crocodile story from the front page and scream "7.7 quake - strongest in 40 years". It may've been 7.7 at the source, but it sure wasn't in Darwin, or there would've been a lot more carnage!

Being on the top story of a hotel with the doors rattling and the room swaying was not the place I wanted to be at the time.