PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrows to be renamed the Blue Bows

breakscrew
27th Jan 2006, 13:47
Anyone see Junior Mastermind last night when 11 year old Emily said that when she commands the Red Arrows she is going to re-name them the Blue Bows. Comments?

surely not
27th Jan 2006, 14:07
Surely defence cuts will have stopped them flying by the time she is in any position to influence names. There will be a fleet of Simulators touring the airshows as a more cost effective, and less dangerous, method of show casing flying skills.:E :E

Onan the Clumsy
27th Jan 2006, 14:13
How about The Blue Throwing Knives

It'll save the expense of the bow.

Bob Viking
27th Jan 2006, 14:21
I'm not sure what it says about me but when I read Blue Bows (bearing in mind it eminated from an 11 year old girl) I though of ribbons. Not bow and arrows.
I realise I have probably opened myself up to some banter there but I'm in an unusually good mood and thought I'd post it anyway!
BV:p

Onan the Clumsy
27th Jan 2006, 14:25
Blue Ribbons are quite tasty, though not as good as those Caramel ones whose name I forget.

Sort of like a big KitKat really. :ok:

Bob Viking
27th Jan 2006, 14:33
I seem to recall the confectionery item in question was simply called 'Caramel'. You're right, they were quite tasty.
BV:ok:

Jucky
27th Jan 2006, 16:26
You don't mean those Tunnock's Caramel Waifers do you? The ones you get in bag rats. Apparently 4 million are made every week (according to the wrapper) but who buys them apart from the MOD for filling bag rats?:}

BEagle
27th Jan 2006, 16:31
"Anyone see Junior Mastermind last night when 11 year old....."

I'm sure you had an excellent excuse for looking at 11 year olds on TV...?

Titan Locked
27th Jan 2006, 19:56
Beagle
Rant on! :*
What an arse comment and a poor attempt at humour. Just what are you suggesting?
Perhaps he or she was watching it with their own children. It's called family entertainment. Are you telling me that you don't watch any tv programmes (assuming you have something as modern as a tv) or listen to your "wireless" if it involves children under the age of 16?
Off thread a bit but as you seem to be ever increasingly bitter about the RAF perhaps it's time you stopped posting on a forum "that is for the professionals who fly the non-civilian hardware, and the backroom boys and girls without whom nothing would leave the ground. Army, Navy and Airforces of the World, all equally welcome here".
Doesn't mention anything about this being a forum for bitter and twisted passed over has beens who keep harking back to the good old days.
Rant off - obviously expecting incoming for daring to make negative comment of Lord BEagle of PPRuNe!:p
TL

BEagle
27th Jan 2006, 19:59
Methinks thou doth protest too much...

:p

PPRuNeUser0211
27th Jan 2006, 20:02
ooooh titan got out of bed the wrong side;) DW I have a generic hard disk based recording system that stops recording if youngsters appear on tv....:)

airborne_artist
27th Jan 2006, 20:30
Got a bite there, Beags!

In fact, I think his post might even qualify as a double bite :ok: :ok:

ImageGear
27th Jan 2006, 21:01
Ooohh my downfall, "Caramel Wafers by Grey Dunn" I can see the ad and hear the jingle...the quick way to go cat 5. :ok:

Imagegear

threepointonefour
28th Jan 2006, 08:50
I'm sure you had an excellent excuse for looking at 11 year olds on TV...?

What a strange comment.

CBA_caption
28th Jan 2006, 09:44
Beags,

Either Titan is a Canadian (couldn't be bothered to check his profile) or crew room banter is taking a turn for the PC worse.

Titan,

It works like this: You have ten seconds to come up with something witty, and or cutting. Failing this you have to go for Rev Banter, usually "F:mad: k you' or '...and yer mother'.

Simple really. Here endeth the lesson entitled 'Not crying before the end of the working day.'

CBA

Lara crofts pants
28th Jan 2006, 10:17
She also said that the Red Arrows have a female squadron leader at the mo. Is this true?

Brit55
28th Jan 2006, 11:16
I think Sally has moved on from the Reds now.

Anita Bush
28th Jan 2006, 11:16
Beags enjoying his latest catch tianus lokedus
http://www.landbigfish.com/gallery/gallery.cfm?photo=2030

Onan the Clumsy
28th Jan 2006, 12:48
http://www.landbigfish.com/images/gallery/pics/ScanRedcmp.JPG

Anita Bush
28th Jan 2006, 13:16
Cheers Mate!!

Titan Locked
28th Jan 2006, 14:36
CBA
You're right - I bit. I guess I have an unwarped but updated sense of humour.
Fully aware of the 10 second rule although had this been in the crewroom I would have kicked away Beagles zimmer frame and unplugged his colostomy bag by the time he got to 9!
Still, maybe we're in luck and someone undertook this advice (http://members.aol.com/regalbeag/spay.htm) when Beagle was a "yoof"
TL
PS - Not a Canadian either.

CBA_caption
28th Jan 2006, 17:55
With that link you have more than redeemed yourself! :ok:

BEagle
28th Jan 2006, 18:53
Bolleaux!

That's all....

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/BEagleSmall.jpg

B Eagle - nothing to do with 'small houndes' as Chaucer termed them!

Tigs2
28th Jan 2006, 18:59
Titan
The link is very good, very funny, however your bite unneccessary. I dont give two hoots what you say on the forum but you are getting a bit personal with your comments. I likewise dont give a tosh how old you are or anybody else for that matter. As BEags has spent a carreer in the Military, does it mean he cant get older and still comment? Then young folks come up and imply that just because your old, your an old fart who doesnt belong to the military and for some reason deserve your zealous ageist remarks. One day you will be old Titan, and maybe with a zimmer frame and colostomy bag (its a function of age you know, and a result of a deteriorating body, nothing to do with the person), and the young buck who wants to kick your zimmer frame will probably think that your 60 Gb Ipod is ancient crap technology (just like BEags' wireless).

BEagle
28th Jan 2006, 19:04
Wireless? What's wrong with a crystal set?

And how does one get the dog's head out of the gramophone horn?

charliegolf
28th Jan 2006, 19:20
Tigs2 Phew, that was close, very very good bait.

And BEags, was the bald eagle appropriate?

CG

CBA_caption
28th Jan 2006, 19:21
Titan
One day you will be old Titan, and maybe with a zimmer frame and colostomy bag
Steady on Tigs, that almost sounds as bad as Titan! :E
For the record I think BEagle is Great!

bluetail
28th Jan 2006, 19:55
Are,nt the Red Arrows really called the "SCAMPTON DARTS TEAM"

Titan Locked
28th Jan 2006, 19:57
Tigs
Cor blimey Guv!
Well I found out what level banter is since I left the crewroom 6 months ago! It's ok to insinuate that someone is perhaps a bit suspect/dodgy (to quote Lord BEagle of Prune - "I'm sure you had an excellent excuse for looking at 11 year olds on TV...?") but challenge that comment ....
Oh, and for the record I agree BEagle often has a lot of good stuff to offer - particularly to those seeking employment away from the modern military - but I don't have to agree or like evrything he posts just because he's challanging Herr Draper (go to Jet Blast if you don't know who I mean) as PPruNes most prolific poster. I would have taken offence at whoever posted the comment - I just know enough about Lord BEagle to be able to have a cheap shot. Not well enough for subtle banter, obviously - just a cheap shot!
So, if I have offended Lord BEagle then I doff my cap to old age and treachery - but I won't lower my standards jut because its an anonymous forum.
Enough - I've dragged this thread into a personal bitching contest (and Danny, I apologise).
Breakscrew - apologies for hijacking the thread. No, I didn't see Junior Mastermind.
Off to reregister under a different nom de plume - can't remain known as the man that challanged Beags!!!!
TL:ok: :ouch:

Jucky
28th Jan 2006, 23:48
Are,nt the Red Arrows really called the "SCAMPTON DARTS TEAM"

I prefer to call them the "Crimson Crabs"!:E

:ok: FLY NAVY!:ok:

captain_flynn
29th Jan 2006, 00:50
I thought that she said that they could be called the Blue Ribbons when she was asked who she would fly for if the Red Arrows were no longer in existance once shes become a pilot?

Tigs2,

You're not the same Tigs as the one who was flying a BN2A Islander out of Perranporth a few months ago, are you?

Tigs2
29th Jan 2006, 10:51
Captain Flynn

Sorry chap not me.

JessTheDog
29th Jan 2006, 11:23
When my child ends up on Junior Mastermind (genetically a certainty but some time in the future) she will say something far funnier...I'll make sure! :}

captain_flynn
29th Jan 2006, 14:40
Captain Flynn

Sorry chap not me.

Ah no problem, thanks for replying.:ok:

breakscrew
30th Jan 2006, 07:48
Titan Locked,
Thanks for your support. It was a particularly cheap and tasteless remark from BEagle. I would have expected something better from someone like him.
BS

Zoom
30th Jan 2006, 10:29
Onan
So that's what you look like.

Who's the ugly b*gger holding you up?

Training Risky
30th Jan 2006, 14:18
She also said that the Red Arrows have a female squadron leader at the mo. Is this true?

A year or so ago, I read an interview with said Sqn Ldr (can't remember if it was RAF News or RAF magazine)

I had to laugh when she was pictured in a red growbag looking like a dead sparrows pilot - minus the wings!

She was the team manager - an Air Trafficker!:8 :8 :8 ha ha ha

brakedwell
30th Jan 2006, 14:38
I prefer Pink Ribbons!

Clockwork Mouse
31st Jan 2006, 08:24
Training Risky,

Yes, she is an Air Trafficker, and has apparently done a bloody good job as Team Manager for the last three years. I'm sure you look much prettier in your grow-bag but you are probably not as competent. Grow up.

Training Risky
31st Jan 2006, 10:18
Oh I'm so sorry my lord. I'm trying to grow up every day my lord.

Don't you see the comedy value of hangers-on trying to absorb some of the kudos of aircrew by wearing growbags during the working day/in the bar etc?

I did wear one for 3 years and on the whole enjoyed it, but I am now on a very very long ground tour.....:(

I still have to titter when I see ground personnel use any excuse to keep wearing their loaned apparel long after they have had a pax trip!:p

I'm sure she could have done an equally great job as team mgr in blues.... but then how would she be able to convince everyone she was in the Reds...!:E

teeteringhead
31st Jan 2006, 10:25
It was hardly her choice to wear the red suit - it's what she was told to do by "the system" aka some very senior, bewinged officers .....

... and as it happens, she was so good at the job that she was extended because no-one of suitable calibre could be found at her normal tourex..

.."I did wear one for 3 years and on the whole enjoyed it, but I am now on a very very long ground tour.....
"....

.... ahhhh! chopped at the OCU then were we? that explains it......;) ;)

Training Risky
31st Jan 2006, 10:43
Absolutely, yes I was chopped on the last trip of my OCF and subsequently thrown out of the branch. I won't deny it. And one day, my old deskie will get the favour returned in some way or another.....

However, I stand by what I said about certain ground pers longing to look like pilots. I can understand it: it's very comfortable bar-wear.

And no matter whose decision it was, Air-rank or Sqn boss, it still looks odd.

I would extend the same judgement to a certain F3 SqintO out there who wears a growbag - you know who you are!

Training Risky
31st Jan 2006, 10:48
Actually to reattack this, the same can be said of certain Stn Cdrs, OC Ops, SLOps and AWC instructors who would all have to enter the CERN particle accelerator to be separated from their 'safety equipment' as they are obviously attached at the sub-nuclear level. It amuses the students no end...!

Megaton
31st Jan 2006, 10:50
So let me get this right. You are slating someone you have never met over what she wears to work which is mandated by those in higher authority to herself? You need to get out more - you're starting to sound bitter.

Bob Viking
31st Jan 2006, 10:56
People in glass houses and all that!
You seem to have a real bee in your bonnet about this and yet your profile clearly states a few mistruths. You say you are an RAF pilot who flies/flew Chinooks. Not strictly true if we're going to be honest!
Time to accept your new position in life and get on with it!
BV:E

The Swinging Monkey
31st Jan 2006, 10:59
TR,
'fraid you've lost it old boy!
I was pretty much with you (almost) until that last post, and then you went 'round the corner, looking like a Richard Head

Lets face it, if you had NOT got chopped, then you too would have worn a grow bag at every opportune moment - just like the rest of us do (or did in my case)

I know the said young lady, and I think your comments are out of order - if here Boss says wear it, then wear it she will (and so should she!)

If you have a problem with that, I can only suggest you take yourself off the palace where her Boss lives and tell him. You can't miss it, its a big place in London with flags flying outside!

Now if you want to bring your argumant back into line, and start on about movers, stackers et al wearing flying suits then I'll be back with you, but don't pick on someone who is, frankly, only doing as she is told.

Kind regards
TSM

Lara crofts pants
31st Jan 2006, 11:09
Is spelling not on the menu at IOT any more?
Correct about training risky though - bitter bloke from the sound of it

OCCWMF
31st Jan 2006, 11:10
TR -

"Absolutely, yes I was chopped on the last trip of my OCF and subsequently thrown out of the branch. I won't deny it. And one day, my old deskie will get the favour returned in some way or another....."

Definitely the one to blame - make sure you stick it to them good and proper .:rolleyes:

Dimensional
31st Jan 2006, 11:13
Is spelling not on the menu at IOT any more?
Neither is grammar, by the look of it, Lara Croft's [sic x2] pants.... </pedant>

Lara crofts pants
31st Jan 2006, 12:58
A bite. Lovely

Training Risky
31st Jan 2006, 14:21
WOOO HOOO... cat, pigeons, GO!

Points to ponder for everyone (In order):

I was not the one who brought said Sqn Ldr into the original discussion, I was merely stating my opinion, in a humourous way, of ground pers who wear growbags (regardless of their choice in the matter). So in this case, not really slating the wearer, but the policy and the said apparel.

And yes I may sound a little bitter, but so are a few other chopped RW pilots who lost their cushy ME careers in the heady days of the post-911 chopfest. I will have to pay for my own doughnuts and ATPL now.

I haven't looked at my profile since 2002, sorry if its not 100% correct, I may get around to changing it one day. (In fact, I've just done it.) Am now heartily 'getting on' with my position as Untermensch.

I certainly would wear a growbag 24/7, if I was still flying. The fact that I don't means that I avoid looking like a aircrew groupie:D

On the subject of bitterness, if anyone else decides to use the Data Protection Act to read e-mails exchanged between deskies about YOU, then you might appreciate what I am talking about.

----------

I never intended to drag this thread into a slanging match, so feel free to talk about the Blue Bows, or alternatively (if you lack any sense of humour) continue to snipe at BEagle for his banter....

RayDarr
1st Feb 2006, 09:29
Back when I was a lad, and learning to fly, it was drummed in to us that wearing flying kit in the mess was not officer like. Very non u and so on. Officers were supposed to look like officers at all times. Now this was a long time ago, but I still hold to what I was taught then. Aircrew in the mess should look like the officers they claim to be, and not wear their work clothes. And that applies to all those slobs who wear scruffy jeans trainers and tee ****s around the mess. If they want to look like juniors, they should have joined in the ranks.
As for the wannabe's and the oncewas's; ground crew people wearing aircrew clothing just look silly and loose all their street cred. Their airmen laugh at them behind their backs, and that is not the way to lead.

OCCWMF
1st Feb 2006, 11:02
Snipe withdrawn!