PDA

View Full Version : Vegatable oil fuel?

tony draper
27th Jan 2006, 12:21
Just been a item on the telly about a fleet of buses being converted to run on veg oil, good news for the envioromentalist but apparently the Government is going to jack up the duty to bring it up to the cost of other fuels,and that this will destroy any finacial advantage to be gained from the conversion,why are the greenies letting em get away with this?
They stated that in 8 monhs a bus recovers the coversion cost in saved fuel price,or leastwise it would were it not for the duty being increased
One would have though the government would have been all for encouraging this
Incidently the chap said eventualy they hope to have aircraft running on veg oil and theres no great technical reason why they shoudn't.
All forrit meself anything that stops us relying on those bearded loons is fine by me.
:confused:

Parapunter
27th Jan 2006, 12:30
Leave off Rolf Harris. The Aussie's ok.

Lon More
27th Jan 2006, 13:05
It's been covered before. A few people in Belgium are running around for free using veg. oil reclaimed from chip shops instead of diesel. Only -ve was that the exhaust smelled like the chip shop. There are a number of web sites devoted to it. Have personally run a Peugeot van on about 20% sunflower oil, saving about 0.50 per litre. with no problems.

tall and tasty
27th Jan 2006, 13:16
They anounnced on the lunch time new that they will even be able to fly aircraft on it in the near future!!:ooh:

TnT

airship
27th Jan 2006, 13:23
All forrit meself anything that stops us relying on those bearded loons is fine by me. If we're unlucky enough to still be alive in 30 years time Drapes, it'll be the Albertans (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4649580.stm) everyone'll be worrying about! They'll just have red beards is all... ;)

CAT1
27th Jan 2006, 13:59
The problem with large scale use of vegetable oils as fuel is that the amount of land needed to produce enough for the transport industry would seriously impinge on world food production. It's not viable as a replacement for oil unless you are happy to starve while driving your eco-friendly car. Suppose you could always drink the fuel.

airship
27th Jan 2006, 14:06
What if we just used vegetable oil for the headlamps on the 'bovine transport apparatus' though?! ;)

Send Clowns
27th Jan 2006, 14:14
Come on, did anyone seriously think that this government was only keeping duty so high for environmental reasons?

CAT1 is right, once you go beyond the level of using left-over vegetable oil. However I am sure there is a lot of that about. I think it probably helps the carbon balance a lot, as I guess this would otherwise rot down to produce methane, a serious greenhouse gas.

UL730
27th Jan 2006, 15:07
Unfortunately - yer can't run yer Beema on veg oil.

Says so in the handbook.:rolleyes:

That cuts out half the driving population.

Rang up my local BMW shop and the techy guy said that:
"they didn't want their motors smelling like a farmyard. So divn't."

Apparently "the guvermunt" pay a handsome subsidy towards the cost of generating this type of fuel. Treasury have some complex "Annalen der Physik" E = mc2 calculation that suckers in the gullible producers.

Understand that they are considering a new fuel though. Recycled human faeces. Think I've smelt other plans for this as well :yuk:

tony draper
27th Jan 2006, 15:11
Hmmm,bypass the facal stage and recycle humans I say.
:rolleyes:

Gainesy
27th Jan 2006, 15:14
Veg oil sounds a bit huggyfluff to me but I'd convert me landie to run on beef dripping.

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Jan 2006, 15:23
One knew a bloke whose neighbour in Tanzania used to add veg oil to his Landie as fuel and lubricant. He said he loved driving behind the old Landie and following the smell of roast potatoes...:ok: