PDA

View Full Version : 10 H of D

Mr Chips
27th Jan 2006, 11:22
Ladies and gentlemen of Jet Blast... I need help. A little while ago a friend and i discovered a "quiz" that she had written around 6 years ago to raise funds. It was one of those numbers and intials thingies. We have managed to answer 99 of the questions (she has lost the answers) but are stuck on the last one. 10 H of D. We have so far discounted 10 Hamsters of Death, but are completely out of ideas.

I throw it open to y'all

I thank you, my friend thanks you, my sanity thanks you.

ex_matelot
27th Jan 2006, 11:30
10 hours of daylight?? referring to flowering plants etc etc???

G-CPTN
27th Jan 2006, 11:39
Well done ex matelot
The mighty Googoo came up with:-

25 A plant flowers if given 14 h of L and 9 h of D but doesn't
flower if it is given a period of light during the 10 h of D.
a the plant is a long day plant
b the plant is a short day plant
c the plant is a day neutral plant
d the photoperiodic sensitivity of flowering can't be determined
e the plant has no phytochrome

(From http://www.geneseo.edu/~briggs/genbio2/test.4rev.html )

WeatherJinx
27th Jan 2006, 11:40
Possibly refers to Moh's Scale (http://www.24carat.co.uk/hardnessmohsscaleframe.html), which measures the hardness of minerals. 10=Hardness Of Diamond.

joe2812
27th Jan 2006, 11:53
We had this at college on the last day (oh the fun), and it was as WxJinx says, Hardness of Diamond. Except ours read as '10 H of D on the M S'.

They could have thought of something else though?

WeatherJinx
27th Jan 2006, 11:57
Yes...I was leaving that for someone else, Joe... ;) :hmm:

ex_matelot
27th Jan 2006, 12:02
Yep I googled it-cnt help thinkin it could be 10 something of damascus though??Something at the back of my mind..cant remember though.

lexxity
27th Jan 2006, 12:04
hangind sword of Damocles? Where there 10. Help. This is driving me mental.

Not that I was entirely sane in the beginning you understand.

Onan the Clumsy
27th Jan 2006, 12:06
It's 10 Hours of Darkness, the time required for a flowering plant to recover from the UV exposure and to process the chemicals created in photosynthesis.

Mr Chips
27th Jan 2006, 14:32
two possibilities so far plus lexxity losing her mind.. we have another 99 we could throw at you, and my friend is slightly warped... She should be along later...

try this one (to show how her mind works)

2468 - WDWA

Biggles Flies Undone
27th Jan 2006, 14:40
2 4 6 8 What do we appreciate?

No more of this stuff Chippy ;)

Gouabafla
27th Jan 2006, 14:40
As far as I remember, the number of hours of darkness required by plants varies and isn't fixed at ten. (Final year botany exams were a long time ago). Deciduous trees measure the length of the night so as to time when to drop their leaves. Temperature also plays a part in the mechanism, but I can't remember the details anymore. If you see a tree growing close to a street lamp the branches closest to the lamp often keep their leaves longer than the rest of the tree, this is because the light is just enough to interfere with the dark timing mechanism.

Mr Chips
27th Jan 2006, 14:50
that was way too quick Biggles.. you clearly have a warped mind, just like her's!!!

ex_matelot
27th Jan 2006, 14:57
10 hours of daylight is what the average polar bear can expect to enjoy in summer-or is it the other way round??

Onan the Clumsy
27th Jan 2006, 15:18
As far as I remember, the number of hours of darkness required by plants varies and isn't fixed at ten. (Final year botany exams were a long time ago). Deciduous trees measure the length of the night so as to time when to drop their leaves. Temperature also plays a part in the mechanism, but I can't remember the details anymore.
are you sure that wasn't final year LO-botony :zzz:

If you see a tree growing close to a street lamp the branches closest to the lamp often keep their leaves longer than the rest of the tree, this is because the light is just enough to interfere with the dark timing mechanism.except where I used to live in Brokley, but only because the council never repaired the street lights.

Biggles Flies Undone
27th Jan 2006, 15:44
you clearly have a warped mind, just like her's
Not your mate from EGMC is it? :eek:

Jerricho
27th Jan 2006, 15:49
10 hours of daylight is what the average polar bear can expect to enjoy in summer-or is it the other way round??

Wrong thread mate.

Melliandra
27th Jan 2006, 16:33
Sorry Biggles I think you'll find that it's Who Do We Appreciate.... That's me being pedantic, oh and me being the annoying, warped friend who set Mr Chips the task of answering my quiz.

Now I remember it, it is Hardness of Diamond, I can't believe I couldn't remember that one!

So I shall leave you with another...

9 M of P in an H

This took us ages...

ThreadBaron
27th Jan 2006, 18:09
9 months of pregnancy in a human.?;)

Mr Chips
27th Jan 2006, 23:51
well, i would welcome Melliandra to jetblast.. but with her infernal quiz setting.. oh wait - everyone seems to get answers too quick, making she and I look dumb....

Methinks we should set some really fiendish ones..

Biggles - thanks mate, i was doing so well moving on with my life, and you mention EGMC! You will be receiving a bill for my therapy... wibble wibble...

ExSimGuy
28th Jan 2006, 17:48
8 P C A B V - anyone?

FunkyMunky
28th Jan 2006, 18:39
8 per cent alcohol by volume? :O

ExSimGuy
28th Jan 2006, 18:44
Yep - Correct Funky - a bit on the weak side, but it will have to do until I can get some more "reactive" yeast :E

Next?