PDA

View Full Version : I love Jet Lag

Jerricho
27th Jan 2006, 10:03
Well, it's just gone 0500, I'm wide awake and the dog is looking at me with a look of "What the hell are you doing out of bed boss?". Pitty I'm off the booze, else it would be a good time for a medicinal whisky. Thing is by lunch time, I know I'm gonna be feeling like crap.

Ahhhh, the joys of time zones.

FFP
27th Jan 2006, 10:23
Can't beat it . . . . . . .

I've done a certain flight schedule that meant leaving the UK at midnight, arriving east coast of US 0800 L (after a stop in Canada) to depart for the UK again some 14 hrs or so later. Beautiful !

I am convinced that Jet Lag and the associated lifestyle for those of us jetting around the world knocks years off your life (and so the reason why I will not be doing it for more than 10 years, till the mortgage is paid off)

Anyone seen medical evidence / studies to support that ? (other than the look on the crews face after a long route :p )

Jerricho
27th Jan 2006, 10:27
I've read a few different papers and studies that say just that FFP.

Here's a little light reading for this time for the morning (or afternoon, or whatever feaking time it is)

http://www.mcg.edu/som/clerkships/EM/PracticeIssues/Shift%20Work.pdf

Jer,
As long as the post you are referring to is still on the thread and visible to everybody, there is no need to quote the entire post. It's an 'unhealthy' practice that pollutes many other bulleting boards and which, with your cooperation, we would like to keep off PPRuNe .
Thanks & good luck with the 'lag ya wuss! ;)
f40

tall and tasty
27th Jan 2006, 10:34
Jerricho - AS hard as I tried and travelling to see family in the states I always found the coming Back to Blighty the worst! It hit me for days and days. But I tried to drink pleanty of fluids on the flight and do those silly exercises and when I got back here was religious about getting up at the time the clock said, eating when it was time to eat and go to bed when I reallly did not want to but made myself. Years of nights and shift work helped get me back into the routine. I always found the best thing to do was arrive back on a work day so you had to go to work however [email protected] you felt!

But I found once I came off shift work jet lag has always been worse and it is now bad east and west! Or it may be I am getting older, not sure. But keeping to your normal routine in that country and at their times your internal clock will kick in again and you will be fine!

I'm sure you will feel yourself again soon.

TnT :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Jan 2006, 10:51
I'm sure you will feel yourself again soon.

I hope not. We've already had complaints.....

Mr Chips
27th Jan 2006, 11:24
Your dog calls you boss? I bet that isn't really what he thinks when he looks at you! :E

Jerricho
27th Jan 2006, 12:03
Sure he does Chippy.

Just like I used to call you my bitch.

airship
27th Jan 2006, 13:52
Pre-emptive jet lag is prolly the explanation for the phenomenon of people drinking a pint of lager at Gatwick or Heathrow at 7 in the morning while waiting for their holiday flights... :8

Jerricho
27th Jan 2006, 14:15
True that Airship.

Everyone knows you should be drinking cider at that time of the morning.

Gouabafla
27th Jan 2006, 14:53
Your dog calls you boss?

Dog looks at a human and thinks 'this person provides me with food and shelter, he must be god'.

Cat looks at a human and thinks 'this person provides me with food and shelter, I must be god!'.

Jerricho
27th Jan 2006, 15:03
I could post my "Cats are c***s song" here, but that would be hijacking my own thread..........

Mr Chips
27th Jan 2006, 15:06
yeah, becasue thread hijacking is so wrong Jerricho... you hijack everyone else's - why not your own? :E

Hey - I got a new job, I'm nobodys bitch no more.. well, after I finish training..

(thread hijack alert)

Jerricho
27th Jan 2006, 15:08
you hijack everyone else's - why not your own?

You sir, have offended me.....................

:{

(Jet lag makes one very emotional)

Mr Chips
27th Jan 2006, 15:14
I humbly apologise Mr J, and I will of course return to being your bitch.. I would bow down before your feet.. but only if you are not wearing them red shoes!!

i was accused of having JetLag when I was in OZ.. but it was just that I am a lazy git and kept falling asleep!

Jerricho
27th Jan 2006, 15:23
Kinda like when you were an ATSA then.

Krystal n chips
27th Jan 2006, 16:37
"What the hell are you doing out of bed boss?". .

Erm, are self delusions of authority a hitherto unknown side effect of jet lag then Jerricho ? :hmm: :D

Romeo Delta
27th Jan 2006, 16:44
Mmmmmm... I jove let jag...

I often have a half finished water bottle in the pocket in the seat in front of me, and when I grab it after descent or landing it's a mangled mess. Just think what it's doing to your insides.

pigboat
27th Jan 2006, 21:06
Jet lag can't hold a candle to prop lag.

captcat
27th Jan 2006, 21:54
Just think what it's doing to your insides

Romeo Delta,

what I'm wondering is what the air contained in your insides has done after T/O to the mangled chap sitting next to you

Romeo Delta
27th Jan 2006, 22:02
what I'm wondering is what the air contained in your insides has done after T/O to the mangled chap sitting next to you

Have you sat next to me before? I do not remember having dangerous gas on any recent flights... How did the chap next to me get mangled? Did I throw an ill-advised elbow?:confused:

allan907
28th Jan 2006, 00:41
Awake at 0430 in order to get down the M25 without hassle, check-in 0700Z, Depart LHR for SIN 1100Z, depart SIN for PER 0935H, arr PER 1430H (with a landing 'firm' enough for the FO to apologise for it!), endless queues for the green channel where everyone was checked!, back home at 1730 and in bed by 2130 - now that's jet lag:{ Roll on hyper-travel:ok:

tinpis
28th Jan 2006, 01:28
Were you able to sleep on the flight at all Jerr?
Tin could never sleep unless he were in the cockpit.
Mates Ive known could nod off at the drop survived jet lag very well.

brockenspectre
28th Jan 2006, 01:35
I never get jet-lag doing E-W (to USA) ... when I arrive I force self to stay up late and then get a good nights sleep ... coming back to YooKay (W-E) I find hard, but if only from E Coast USA and able to grab some zzzzzs then its OK, if from W Coast USA then it is still tough ... one has yet to get to Oz so can't comment on those extra-long flights :ok: Any tips/tricks to help "cure" the ole lag will be appreciated!!

tinpis
28th Jan 2006, 02:07
Going to Oz is ok Brox coz yer goin to Paradise.
Its coming back to pommie purgatory that gets ya.

aged
28th Jan 2006, 07:07
Do enough longhaul over the years and you develop your own system pretty quickly. Personally, (currently crossing 10 time zones east to work, 10 back each month) it doesn't bother me.
Sleep on the flight(s) - happy to, not too concerned if I don't get much
Arrive and wait until 11pm local time before going to bed. Do anything to stay up till this time - work, walk, eat, drink, sh*g, whatever, just don't sleep! When I arrive in Sakhalin at about 10am local time after a 23 hour journey I go to work until 7pm then go for a few cold ones. Then take an over the counter sleep aid (Nytol) and get at least 6 hours kip
Second night wait till 11pm again and another pill.
That's me sorted.
On return, same - 11pm and a Nytol for the first two nights then I'm into local time.
Going west is always easier because by the time it's 11pm it's way past when you should have gone to bed so sleeping comes more easily.

Non Normal
28th Jan 2006, 09:29
I got to sleep at 8:30 this morning, after having been up for around 24 hours. Unfortunately, I was not partying, neither was I jetlagged.

I think I am missing out on life.:sad: :E :}

Jerricho
28th Jan 2006, 14:50
Well here's a turn up for the books.

I have just slept for nearly 14 hours. Went to bed at 8:00 o'clock last night, and have just surfaced at 9:45. Ahhhhhhh..................

I.R.PIRATE
28th Jan 2006, 14:55
As an insomniac, i spend my life in a sort of "perma-lag" so i know what you all feel like.....

redsnail
28th Jan 2006, 17:28
Ooh Jetlag... Just spent a few days getting used to Canadian time (West Coast) and soon I'll be going back to ye olde Englande... More jetlag... nice.. :zzz:

G-CPTN
28th Jan 2006, 17:45
First long-haul I did to Sydney I was totally screwed-up and spent my nights watching 24 rolling news channel and days fighting sleep. NEXT trip to Hong Kong I set my watch to HK time BEFORE I left the UK and kept to it despite the efforts of the cabin crew. Seemed to work, so all subsequent trips were handled that way :ok:
Coming back (East to West) the only problem was the perpetual breakfasts :D

ExSimGuy
28th Jan 2006, 18:09
Nah - don't do drugs :}

East-to-West; check-in LGW around 9 a.m. - drink a couple of beers.
Depart around 11 p.m. - have a glass of wine or 3 before lunch.
Change watch to mid-atlantic time and frequently remind myself of the time for the next couple of hours while having a beer or 3.
Change watch again to GMT-5 around mid-atlantic if not already asleep
(have a beer or 3 if not already asleep and keep reminding myself of what the time is)
By this time should have managed several hours "afternoon nap" before landing late afternoon.
Lose 2 hours in immigration whilst fuming that DammYanks have a much faster progress in different lines.
Get son-in-law (PHL cop) and daughter to take me to a "cops and fire" party which keeps me awake till 0-dark-00 next morning.
Jet-lag, no problem!

West-to-East; Pretty much the same trick on return except depart at about 20:00, drink earlier in the flight and faster and get to sleep earlier. Awake LGW at 0530 GMT
Board train for South Coast connection after purchasing "cap-topped" coffee and liberally lace it with the DF Vodka.
Set alarm on mobile phone for 10 minutes before ETA Shoreham-By-Sea.
Usually no problem getting back to sleep at 11:30 that evening after a good night at the "local" (Shoreham cops and firemen don't seem to have parties - or at leasty, they never invite me (perhaps they have more taste that PHL cops and fire-fighters :)

Of course, I wouldn't want the guys driving my ScareBus to try my system :E

G-CPTN
28th Jan 2006, 18:19
Nah - don't do drugs :}

Beer (well reasonable beer) contains alcohol.
Alcohol is a DRUG . . .

ExSimGuy
28th Jan 2006, 18:29
Didn't know that :{

I'll drink Coors Lite in future :E

G-CPTN
28th Jan 2006, 19:14
Board train for South Coast connection after purchasing "cap-topped" coffee and liberally lace it with the DF Vodka.[/COLOR]

And coffee contains caffeine - also a DRUG!

ExSimGuy
28th Jan 2006, 19:32
Okay CPTN - so I'm a confirmed Druggie ;)

Like Beer, Like "laced coffee" (espectially after a really nice meal!)

Don't drive after either of the above! (Never drove an aeroplane above 3 metres (sims) after either of the above)

Tea is also a drug, but let's get a sense of proportion!

Now let's not even get into "Coke" :E

(goes well with Bacardi - so I'm told by the addicts:{ )

Taking the Micky about normal prescribed drugs - never woud do "proscribed" ones. But enjoy a beer or a decent wine, Scotch.

Had a couple of beers tonight- off to bed. C U

ExSim

G-CPTN
28th Jan 2006, 19:47
I only mentioned it because, after a school briefing on 'drugs' I asked my son whether he knew anyone who took drugs. "Yes. You and Mum do!".
Seems that some smart-4rse teacher had pointed this out about caffeine and alcohol (and no doubt nicotene, but neither of us smoke).
I used caffeine pills to stave-off sleep when I attended two May Balls (all-nighters) on consecutive nights and then set-off to drive down to Le Mans (1965). We 'worked' the following night (final practice). I subsequently fell asleep in the open next day and got dreadfully sunburned (no shirt and very brief shorts).