PDA

View Full Version : Luggage raiders, lost bags add to flying costs

Deanw
27th Jan 2006, 09:50
Luggage raiders, lost bags add to flying costs

Khulu Phasiwe

BAGGAGE tampering and theft at SA’s main airports continue to nibble at the profits of airlines operating in the country, with at least 50 cases of pilfering being reported daily.

Although airlines usually budget for operational emergency costs such as fuel price hikes and labour strikes, rampant baggage theft has forced airlines to employ security guards to monitor the loading and off-loading of luggage. This adds costs to the already capital- intensive airline industry.

South African Airways (SAA) said in a survey released last month that it alone received between 30 and 50 reports a day of suitcases that had been tampered with or went missing. Chief financial officer Tryphosa Ramano said baggage theft cost the airline R40m a year.

SAA spokeswoman Jacqui O’Sullivan said yesterday that the airline — through the baggage pilfering committee formed by airlines, the Airports Company SA (Acsa) and security agencies — was working with baggage-handling companies to “resolve frustrations”.

She said some of the measures put in place included shrink-wrapping all soft suitcases in plastic for protection during transportation.

O’Sullivan said: “Passengers should also refrain from placing valuables such as laptops, jewellery, cellphones or camera equipment in their baggage.”

Acsa spokesman Solomon Makgale said other measures included installing closed-circuit cameras, using a single gate for entry and exit and banning cellphone use in certain areas.

Makgale said the parastatal, which handles about 32000 bags a day at Johannesburg International Airport, had also installed machines that scan, sort and then deliver baggage to the right flights — limiting human contact to check-in and loading the bags into containers to be taken to aircraft.

27/01/06: Business Day

B Sousa
27th Jan 2006, 10:06
Problem is easily rectified. I doubt if the remedy will be applied.
Shrink wrap works good only to identify which bags have NOT been opened. Most that come into the U.S. shrink wrapped raise a flag and TSA opens them then. Locked bags in the U.S. are also subject to being pried.......legally, if you are not located.
So far I guess I have just been lucky......... Many trips all over and nothing lost, delayed a bit but received.
Best suggestion is to take anything valuable in carry-on.

MysticFlyer
27th Jan 2006, 10:57
Yes, that figure could translate to a couple of trained pilots onto the workforce, for example.

The thought that they could get away with it, will not deter them from pilferaging. Try to automate the system and the unions start dancing, but the mindset still remains. That what they have is actually mine, and it was stolen from us.

Some work remains to be done by government after it created this enigma thought in the creation of the anarchy years ago!

But then some wise-crack will say, that it's going on eveywhere and not unique to Africa, my answer to them is, look where the human interface have been reduced, the figures dropped.

Thus, stop crime proactively, because it only pays in the short-run, enough self-enrichment occurred, now it's time for a change, embrace it, or reject it, but take the consequences by having a look and see attitude! The price is high!:ok:

reptile
27th Jan 2006, 18:39
"JNB : Pilferage is still huge a problem – security personnel are using scanners to detect valuables to steal."

IFALPA SECURITY CONFERENCE GENEVA
24th and 25th of October 2005.

Shrike200
28th Jan 2006, 04:34
This is why the hand luggage has gotten so heavy nowdays I reckon. Add a laptop, camera, cellphone, standalone hard drive, and all the associated chargers and adapters, and thats a good few kilos right there...plus there's your toiletries and other bits for WHEN they lose your luggage and you're stuck on contract with nothing etc. I normally ended up with my check in and hand luggage weighing the same!

Boeing Rules
12th Feb 2006, 10:41
AF and KL has started doing the shrink rap thing at FAJS and according to info, theft has been reduced by about 99% in two months Min. tampered with. and CE might be looking at doing the same for their pax.

the BIGGEST problem is the scanning of bags, since they introduced domestic skanning theft has increased a lot. SO WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU!!!:hmm: I wonder who are the thiefs realy.
make your own conclusions.
BR

Jangys
12th Feb 2006, 11:51
Employing security guards to watch over those who load baggage is not going to work either.

9 out of 10, the security guards are the ones who gets a cut out the pie, so maybe cctv will work. But these okes a clever, the park that dolley so close to the belt where they load the baggage, that it obscures the view of the camera.

They cant move the cameras closer to ground level, as they will be tampered with. These guys know exactly where those cameras look.

I think the best thing to do is to design a similar device they use in the cash in transit business. If your bag is opened it must spray an unwashable ink onto the culprits hands and face. This way you can see whose is tampering with bags.

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Feb 2006, 12:26
Just needs one oke to be fanged by the Gabon Viper some deranged herpetologist is smuggling......:}

B Sousa
12th Feb 2006, 13:16
SRT you have been watching too many Leon Schuster Movies......