PDA

View Full Version : 'Burglary gone wrong'

er340790
26th Jan 2006, 17:58
Sickening how burglars go out to break into a house; if they get discovered kill the owners / witnesses and even the police claim it is a 'burglary gone wrong'.

This is total p.c. rubbish. Nothing went wrong from the burglars perspective. Burglars who are prepared to kill regard it as part of the crime - more of a 'burglary with added murder/manslaughter gone right'.

Signs of struggle at murder home

The murdered couple had lived all their married life in the house

A house where an elderly man and woman were found murdered showed signs of a struggle, police have said.

The bodies of the couple, believed to be Terence Martin, 72, and his wife, Vera, 78, were discovered in Abbey Street, Faversham, Kent, on Wednesday.

Detectives are examining whether they were the victims of a bungled robbery.

Post-mortem examinations are due to be carried out at the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford, after which the couple should be formally identified.

They were described by neighbours as a devoted pair who often walked holding hands.

A card on one bouquet of flowers left at the scene read: "The sweetest and most loving couple anyone has ever known."

Lines of inquiry

Det Ch Insp Dean Barnes described it as an "extremely distasteful crime".

He said there were no signs of a forced entry into the house, but it appeared to have been searched.

"It could be a burglary gone wrong. This is something which is currently being investigated.

"There are a number of lines of inquiry we are still pursuing."

Mr Barnes described the couple as frail, adding that more than one person was probably involved in a struggle with them.

Police investigations are also continuing into the discovery of their car.

The couple's burned out car was removed for forensic tests

The purple Daihatsu Sirion was found burned out just over a mile away from their home in the Bysing Wood Road area of the town on Monday evening.

"It appears the vehicle may have been abandoned as a consequence of what went on at the house earlier on," said Mr Barnes.

He said police officers knocked at the couple's house soon after their car was found, but "there was nothing that would draw their attention to anything untoward".

He added it was now "common sense" that they were already dead at the time.

Mr Barnes said: "We want to talk to anyone who may have seen the couple anytime from Saturday afternoon onwards in or around their home.

"We also need to locate where their car travelled from until it was found burned out on Monday evening."

Local Conservative MP Hugh Robertson has urged the police to bring the killer or killers to justice as soon as possible.

He added that he would be doing everything he could to reassure the local community.

Crepello
26th Jan 2006, 18:15
This is one of the things I miss least about the UK. The Lone Star State isn't perfect but homeowners are entitled, given certain conditions, to juice intruders on their property. Now that's what I call burglary gone wrong.

Alas, one condition is that the homeowner's a US citizen... but I can legally throw bullets at an assailant. :{ :ugh:

Onan the Clumsy
26th Jan 2006, 18:25
Alas, one condition is that the homeowner's a US citizenare you sure about that restriction?

What if you hold a ccw permit or a CHL?

SoundBarrier
26th Jan 2006, 18:47
Alas, one condition is that the homeowner's a US citizen... but I can legally throw bullets at an assailant. :{ :ugh:

throw them through a barrel of a gun maybe?:}

Crepello
26th Jan 2006, 18:51
Onan: Afraid so; I've been looking into it since I had a burglary last month. :{ Need to be at least a Green Card holder for a CHL - although you don't need that for a home defence weapon.

Another catch: Federal law prevents sale of firearms to non-resident aliens, though I may be able to circumvent that by getting a hunting license. I can't wait for that conversation:
- "But sir, what do you plan to hunt with a Beretta 92F?"
- "Vermin."
:E

Apologies for thread creep.

Onan the Clumsy
26th Jan 2006, 19:07
I hhhave greeeen cart, so is ok forrr me. Is werry werry goood to be in amelika.

(doesn't really translate to the written voice)

Crepello
26th Jan 2006, 19:15
I haf scaaanner, Photoshop and maaaany beauuutiful daughters... we can talk, no?

LatviaCalling
26th Jan 2006, 20:11
If I'm not wrong, I believe that Texas law states that they have to have one foot inside the door before you off them.

AA SLF
26th Jan 2006, 20:39
LatviaCalling -
I believe the law is just that the party be "inside" the premises. This has been judged by local courts to be "head first" as well as the "foot" part. I see an "UNinvited person coming head first thru a window, law allows me to "doom on the dummy" any way I can. :suspect:

LatviaCalling
26th Jan 2006, 20:51
AA SLF,

My folks were from Cisco, TX. Father in law ex-Army. Loved his .45 and blew away the rattlers and armadillos that crossed his fine manicured yard.

A quiet guy, but nonetheless, determined to keep the warmin out.

Loose rivets
27th Jan 2006, 05:00
How the rootin tootin, bakky spittin heck, do you remain quiet while shootin a Colt 45???!!!

I want to do my carry concealed weapons fairly soon, and had been intending to look up the rules--but have been too busy. I'd be interested in any links or details available.

Come to think of it, I sent my armory over here in between the two tragedies that caused hand-guns to be banned. I had to get permission from Washington, and this was all done by the Colchester gunsmith that had to send them.

I've told this tale before, but when they arrived in Texas, I asked what I had to do to be legal. The shop owner said "Nothing, no registration in Texas............but er, could we keep the papers (Sun etc) that they were wrapped in. We're not allowed papers like that here." ( page 3 of course.)

The Sheriff came over one day to see if I had enough acreage to shoot in the yard, ( I had been making a terrible row ) and I met him covered in guns. He checked the numbers, chatted for a while and left. The gunsmith in Austin said that he couldn't sell me guns until I had been in the country 90 days.

Of course, all this may have changed.

MungoP
27th Jan 2006, 05:28
Fascinating place the US....a short while back when visiting friends in Tenessee I'm off driving to a lake to get some photographs...we stop at a small store in a very small town to pick up food for a picnic and I discover that the bottom 3rd of the store is ALL guns...rack upon rack of hunting rifkes, carbines, shotguns etc...and the glass counter is a mass of handguns of every description including a 45 cal revolver with a telescopic sight...none of this was chained...all openly accessible...after an intersting 15 minutes browsing I went to pay for the food and asked where they kept the beer..."Hell son...y'a kaant get beer in this town..we're a drah coundy .... " :hmm:

MungoP
27th Jan 2006, 08:59
Another weird aspect of our judiciery system is a plea for clemency because the perpetrator of the crime was on drugs !
"My client your honour admits to breaking into the premises with intent to burgle and the subsequant rape of the lady who was at home sleeping but would like the court to take into consideration the fact that he was high on drugs at the time " If I was the judge it would add another ten years to the sentance.....

I must remember for future use....

"Yes your honour I do admit to the charge of exceeding 140mph on the M4 but would like the court to take into consideration the fact that I'd drunk a bottle of whisky prior to driving home...." :O

MagnusP
27th Jan 2006, 10:51
"Yes your honour I do admit to the charge of exceeding 140mph on the M4 but would like the court to take into consideration the fact that I'd drunk a bottle of whisky prior to driving home...." :O
Also driving on the hard shoulder, 'cos there's no way you can get up to 140 on the :mad: M4 most hours of the day!

MungoP
27th Jan 2006, 12:12
Quite right Magnus old chap... but I was actually referring to coming out of town on one occasion at about 02:30 in the late '60's driving a 3.8 Mk 1 E-Type (XK-E to those on the other side of the Atlantic ).... I'd owned the thing for nearly a year and found it next to impossible to get much over 130 without coming up on traffic...suddenly I was faced with a completely deserted M4.... clocked it on my watch through the mile boards at Slough ( better to get away from Slough as quickly as possible )... 153 mph... fastest I ever managed off a closed circuit.

Onan the Clumsy
27th Jan 2006, 12:22
Loose I used my Concealed Google License to find the following:

Texas DPS site (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm) - about the CHL

Another DPS site (http://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdps/chl/common/jsp/welcome.jsp) - also about the CHL

The Texas Concealed Hangus Association (http://www.txchia.org/) - well Why Not I suppose.

The Proone of the concealed handgun world (http://www.texaschlforum.com/) - a vbulletin board

Texas Online (http://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/) - another state website

Gun Loonies United - a website with pictures and stories where gun "enthusiasts" discuss eating babies and accidentally shooting their elderly neighbours.

G-CPTN
27th Jan 2006, 12:35
Used to manage 130+ on the M1 section down past Northampton to Newport Pagnell (in Vauxhall Test Vehicles). Used to spar with the Aston Guys out on Production-car shake-down, as well as the occasional surprised Porsche owner.
We were developing an OHC V8 based on two slant-4 OHC 2 litre engines glued together. Fuel crisis killed that.
Also built a tractor-truck with two 466 cu in 6 cylinder diesel engines side by side (the wartime Churchill Tank engine was the same principle) connected by a morse chain! First time out it twisted its chassis under torque so only three wheels out of four touched the ground! Another crazy idea . . .
And then there was the Victor VX 4-90 with no suspension and F1 wheels and tyres. Scrubbed-off all its speed whenever it reached a corner.

Oh yes, there's more. Much more!

Lon More
27th Jan 2006, 12:43
BBC news reports 5 arrested in Faversham, charged with the murder.
Cheerio
Must admit to feeling the same way, however tempered a bit by the memory of a colleague, who hearing a noise outside the bedroom emptied all six rounds through the wall; just missed his teenage daughter who was creeping back to her room after a party.

airship
27th Jan 2006, 13:13
This is one of the things I miss least about the UK. The Lone Star State isn't perfect but homeowners are entitled, given certain conditions, to juice intruders on their property. Now that's what I call burglary gone wrong. Mama mia! Thanks to a certain political party, a new law has just been passed allowing Italians (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4645228.stm) at least the same privileges as Texans. It's debatable whether the impetus for such a law came from the party's natural inclination of 'fear of the dark' though... :}

Onan the Clumsy
27th Jan 2006, 13:55
a new law has just been passed allowing Italians (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4645228.stm) at least the same privileges as Texans
Read the small print though, it only applies to those weighing at least three hundred and fifty pounds :}

Loose rivets
28th Jan 2006, 03:22
Thanks Onan, will peruse when appropriately perpendicular.

I found myself waxing lyrical about E-types...topping stories and visualising my exploits. Mmm...back to being in me 20's at the pub. Saved it all for another day.