PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer to SA Aviation

Canyon Runner
26th Jan 2006, 15:54
hello folks!

great site, and its my first post on it. Thought I'd throw a bone out there and see the response.

I am coming to South Africa and am wondering what the job market is like. I would like the regionals but I am not too picky.

My hours:
Total: 1280
Multi turbine: 500
Multi: 620
PIC:688

I unfortunately have FAA licences and need to get CAA ones, whihc may be a pain. I was also thinking of SA EXPRESS or Airlink, but you guys know better. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Cenrifugel
26th Jan 2006, 16:10
Good luck, loads of pale male's with double your experience after the same jobs.

nugpot
26th Jan 2006, 17:11
SA Express just finished a large intake. Don't think any had less than 2000 hrs and all had multi-crew experience in Africa.

Good luck

If you have money - try Nationwide ;)

south coast
26th Jan 2006, 17:12
we got a live one 'ere bubba....

go fetch the vaseline!

Shrike200
26th Jan 2006, 17:18
You might get a job doing sheepspotting in a Bushbaby out on contract somewhere - here in Africa you need an ATP, 3000 hrs, Lockheed SR-71 time and Grade I Test Pilot rating to act as F/O on a Kingair apparently. :}

Jokes aside, it's like they said above. Plenty of people with plenty more hours in the running for what you want. Just do what I did - lower your expectations!

As for Nationwide, they seem to have stopped the pay-as-you-go thing. None of the newly hired (10 or so?) F/O's have payed, all have been bonded. And most of them, if not all, had more than 1500 hrs ATP etc, as I have been told by a decent source.

Captain Pheremone
27th Jan 2006, 05:38
Hey Canyon Runner

Welcome and good luck finding a job.

Be patient...somebody somewhere needs you or none of us would have a job.

Canyon Runner
27th Jan 2006, 12:42
Thanks guys, l was under the impression the the US market was crap. Looks like you need to have done 3 landings on the moon in the past 6 months to get a job, in SA as well :}

Any thoughts on the conversion/validation process...any schools that do a decent job...or ppl to contact at the CAA?

Cheers

Gunship
27th Jan 2006, 14:03
Welcome and best of luck Canyon Runner :ok:

PEPSIPILOT
27th Jan 2006, 16:05
:ok: hi Canyon Runner,

Welcome to SA i hope you have a good stay and some happy flying
i think the best people to talk to about validations will be BCFA in Midrand Johannesburg. THEY RUN C172 Arrow and a Baron they also have a charter Company so u could try them.

http://www.flyingacademy.co.za/

GOOD LUCK

Canyon Runner
27th Jan 2006, 18:41
Pepsipilot,

Thanks for the link. Thanks to the rest for the well wishes. It'll be interesting to say the least. Will keep this updated.

see you in SA in a week!

CR

learboys
18th Feb 2006, 13:40
Go do some contract flying contact kingair services norse air they might be able to use you

B Sousa
18th Feb 2006, 14:33
Canyon Runner?? FAA Licenses? Dont tell us you have been driving in the Ditch with Twotters??
If your not a South African and without a Work Visa, as far as a job goes, you can wish in one hand and **** in the other, see which fills up first.