PDA

View Full Version : Mystery of Aer Lingus Flight 712

Thrush
26th Jan 2006, 13:33
Seeing as this is a rumour network, has anyone any views on whether Shamrock 712 was sadly shot down by mistake, or not? In these days of the internet we maybe able to unravel the mystery.

Your views, please, chaps.......

5milesbaby
26th Jan 2006, 14:06
For anyone like me that does not understand what this thread is about then try Googling Aer Lingus flight 712 and get the story, an example of which can be read http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Andes/9522/

snaga
26th Jan 2006, 14:17
This is a potential waste of time for everybody, especially if you are going to rely on a site where the dates on the page entitled "Latest News" does not have a year, only months. If you search a bit you will discover this bit of info: Page last updated: 08 March 1999 08:12.

Since that date there have been significant developments including a new investigation and report (aimed at finally putting to bed the notions that seem to interest thrush). This subject, like many re-hashes of old accidents, etc. would benefit from more facts and analysis and less rumours. It is perhaps a little fanciful to think that: In these days of the internet we maybe able to unravel the mystery.

Captain Airclues
26th Jan 2006, 14:30
I believe that the investigation quoted by snaga concluded that the accident was caused by 'fatigue failure of the left tail-plane caused by a flutter induced fatigue failure of the elevator trim tab operating mechanism'. This was an Irish investigation, instigated by the Irish government.

Airclues

airborne_artist
26th Jan 2006, 15:10
As you will see from my post on the Viscount thread, my father was Captain of HMS Hardy and amongst the first on scene after the crash. I recall that the ship recovered about seven or eight bodies and some small pieces of wreckage.

About six or seven years ago we were talking about it (he died two years ago), and not long before the Admiralty had been in touch as they were carrying out another investigation. All he had were his personal recollections, and the order book. The ship's logs had been archived, and amazingly, they could not find the one that covered this date. Spooky, probably not, but could easily be made into something by someone with enough imagination.

Hardy had not been on the range at Aberporth - she was on passage from the Clyde to Portland at the time.