PDA

View Full Version : Help - Can't Find @

mcdhu
26th Jan 2006, 13:04
Just configuring up a new Laptop and - perhaps erroneously - selected a 'US' keyboard and now find that pressing the usual 2 keys to get @ gives me '' instead. Can't now find anywhere in the Control panel that will give me the option to select a UK keyboard - or have I missed something obvious.

It's a Dell Inspiron 630M with Win Xp.

With thanks as usual!
Cheers,
mcdhu

Mornington Crescent
26th Jan 2006, 13:17
Try Settings/control panel/regional and language settings.

mcdhu
26th Jan 2006, 14:25
Had a look there, but no options for the keyboard as in the setup process. The keyboard option in the CP doesn't seem to offer one either.

Thanks,
mcdhu

joe2812
26th Jan 2006, 14:37
My Inspiron (9100) did it a few weeks ago except it seemed to switch on it's own one morning when I booted it up. The @ and " had switched and i'd lost the '~'.

It also fixed itself a few days later after a restart which was odd. I remember googling and finding something but I didn't bookmark i'm afraid.

Mornington Crescent
26th Jan 2006, 14:55
If you keep going - Settings/control panel/regional and language options/languages tab then details it will give you the option to change keyboard.

Hope that's it MC

Farmer 1
26th Jan 2006, 15:33
mcdhu,

If all the above fails:

You mention "the usual 2 keys". Just in case that is a typo, and you meant the "2" key, on an English keyboard the @ is normally between the semicolon and the Enter keys, and used in conjunction with Shift.

I don't recall seeing a keyboard with the @ anywhere other than there or the 2 key, so it might be a case of trying various combinations of Ctrl, Alt, Shift etc.

mcdhu
26th Jan 2006, 15:55
Brilliant MC!! Exactly as you said it would be. All backto normal and will now be able to send emails - when I've set up the Lan!! But that's for another day!

Cheers,
Mcdhu