PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Monkeys

halo
26th Jan 2006, 12:37
So, the album Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not has been out since Monday and is being touted as "the album of this generation", not entirely unlike The Stone Roses in the 90s and The Queen Is Dead in the 80s. What do people think of them? Greatest band of our time, or overrated and overhyped?

Personally, I love the album and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. It gets better every single time you listen to it. I'm sure in ten years time we will be looking back on tracks like I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor and When The Sun Goes Down as classics.

Overshadowed by this album is the equally wonderful The Kooks - Inside In/Inside Out which came out on the same day. Check it out indie kids!! :)

angels
26th Jan 2006, 12:42
Puts on horsehair wig (or whatever judges wigs are made of), moves half-moon glasses to end of nose.....

'Arctic Monkeys? Who are the Arctic Monkeys??'

By Chris (aged 49).

Parapunter
26th Jan 2006, 12:47
Beats lumps out of the Editors say I. Overhyped bunch of arse that lot is.

halo
26th Jan 2006, 12:47
For those who are unaware of the current music scene, the Arctic Monkeys are four lads from Sheffield who through sheer hard work and by using the internet to promote themselves (they gave away their demos for free to get their music out in the public domain) have managed to secure an indie record deal and push out a storming album which will more than likely go to number one and stay there for a long time, thus proving that major labels still have no idea about music.

Whilst purchasing said album in HMV on Monday I noticed that every second person in the queue had a copy as well.

Parapunter
26th Jan 2006, 12:53
One also stands by: http://clapyourhandssayyeah.com/news.php as this years creeping success. Hair shirt rather than Hendrix loon pants. Mark my words.

Rollingthunder
26th Jan 2006, 12:59
Wouldn't they be very cold?

Some of these band names are.....

Should have chosen a good one like "Tropical Walrus".

Go Smoke
26th Jan 2006, 13:05
Artic Monkeys.....Pah
Listened to "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah" Parapunter - liked it.
Can I also recommend http://www.teddythompson.com
Album 'Separate Ways'
A bright, shining, exquisite, beautiful album made for the summer. Buy it, love it.
you can hear a couple of tracks on the website, recommend "Everybody Move It" for a first listen.

Going to see his dad in concert tonight.

Bahn-Jeaux
26th Jan 2006, 13:08
Hayseed Dixie, live performance is awesome.
Albums dont do them justice.

Real music, not synthed up mush.

halo
26th Jan 2006, 18:04
I have to admit.... I stand in awe of Hayseed Dixies version of Duelling Banjo's...... fast like Yngwie Malmstein.

I like some of the tracks on the Editors album (Bullets, Munich) but its a bit miserable for my liking. A bit like Joy Division but without Ian Curtis....... actually, quite a lot like Joy Division!!

I really liked the Hard-Fi album as well, although sadly they were rubbish live... I'm hoping that the Arctic Monkeys can live up to expectations!!

UL730
26th Jan 2006, 18:23
I don't know much about artic monkeys but I know a guy who says he's spanked a monkey at 90 North.

"It was pretty cold and had to be done in a hurry" - he indicated. :confused:

I don't know how he found one up there - as they don't normally inhabit such Northerly climes.

markflyer6580
26th Jan 2006, 18:57
Arctic monkeys are fab,the video for I bet you good on the dancefloor proves this as that is pretty much how they are live! (love the sheffield accent shining through "from nineteeen eighty fower!")

Editors are like joy division-no bad thing though, Munich is a quality tune.

As for hard fi I liked em but the album isn't up to much,although the lyrics to 'cash machine' sum up my predicament at the moment:}

KTPops
26th Jan 2006, 19:00
Did anyone hear TAM's on Jo Whiley's live lounge the the other day? They did a cracking version of Love Machine by Girls Aloud-Sooooooo funny especially when they dissolved into giggles towards the end!

Quality band, their album is my next purchase!!

KTP xx

joe2812
26th Jan 2006, 19:14
Had all the versions off their website for ages now, even a few special recordings.

Absolutely brilliant I think, right up my street. Editors are ok but the AM's certainly beat them hands down.

IB4138
26th Jan 2006, 22:17
Their latest single may be No.1, but IMO its awful and I won't play it.

Jerricho
26th Jan 2006, 22:35
Oh, I though this was gonna be another club for me to join.

MyData
29th Jan 2006, 19:37
At least they have managed to get "dance" and "romance" in to a better conjunction than Chris de Burgh ever managed.

[pretentious music journalist]A fusion of Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, the Streets, with a hint of Pulp - they will go far[/pretentious music journalist]

MMEMatty
29th Jan 2006, 19:45
Ordinary Boys all the way - have seen them live twice now and they were amazing. Their first album (over the counterculture) gets better each time you listen to it and is brialliantly observed, their second, (Brassbound), a little more introspective, but still blows you away

And yes, i did like them before Preston went into Celebrity Big Brother :yuk:

Matt

VFE
29th Jan 2006, 20:16
I like that 'Sun Goes Down' song a lot so shall get their album this year now that Halo has bigged it up too - wouldn't wanna be left in the wings when the next "sound of our generation" comes out..... Christ that's got me thinking, at 28 years of age could a new band actually be classed as being from my generation now? Oasis, Blur, Supergrass and Elastica were my generation I think and out of those only Supergrass cause me to go into "I remember listening to this song whilst wrecked out of my teenage mind" mode.... :}

VFE.

halo
30th Jan 2006, 06:25
I agree with MMEMatty entirely. Over The Counter Culture is a truly spectacular album. For anybody who likes The Smiths/The Specials then you can't go wrong. Go and see The Ordinary Boys live as well... They are fantastic!

I fall into the same category as you VFE.... I'm not sure if it's "my generation" anymore. But the fact that we are slowly getting older and moving away from the britpop/early 90s indie direction should not get in our way of enjoying the "young persons" music!!

Let me know if you like the album though... Will be pleased to hear what you think.

Maybe we should be in a band together one day.... Got a nice ES335 that needs some gig airing :)

MyData
30th Jan 2006, 12:33
Saw The Ordinary Boys supporting Paul Weller on his recent tour. Pretty bloody good as a support act - especially as we hadn't heard of them previously.