PDA

View Full Version : Air New Zealand B747-400 Blows Tyres At Brisbane Airport

Flightsimman
26th Jan 2006, 00:57
Hi,

I was at Brisbane Airport yesterday (25th Jan) standing on Gate 15 with my Video Camera after taking a spin in the cockpit of BAE-146 from Adelaide to pickup and return another BAE-146 back to Adelaide for some maintenance.

I was watching aircraft depart and arrive and turned my attention to an Air New Zealand Boeing 747-400 that was approaching to land.

On landing I noticed that there was a hell of a lot more smoke than usual, but the roll-out seemed normal until I noticed the aircraft slowed quicker than normal.

It wasn't until I watched it try and leave the runway that I knew something was wrong as the power applied to move the aircraft seemed excessive and the pilot was having a problem steering it.

Immediately following the departure from the runway to taxiway I noticed that 4 fire appliances were accelerating down the runway to take position directly behind the aircraft.

This is when I noticed that there was smoke around the landing gear and when I zoomed in with the Video Camera I saw that some of the Port side tyres were shredded down to the wheel-rims.

What seemed odd was that the aircraft remained stationary for quite sometime with the engines running on the taxiway.

When I arrived home I looked for the info on the internet and found the following on news.com.au:

==========================================================

Air NZ plane tyres disintegrate
January 25, 2006

TWO tyres on an Air Zealand flight carrying more than 200 passengers blew apart when the plane touched down at Brisbane Airport today.

An Air New Zealand spokeswoman said an investigation had been launched into the incident, which kept the Boeing 747 and its passengers on the tarmac for more than an hour.
"We think the tyres may have been damaged on take-off," she said.

"But we are investigating the plane incident."

The plane from Auckland touched down at Brisbane Airport at 10.12am (AEST).

It rolled to a stop on the taxiway and Brisbane Airport firefighters were at the scene immediately but there was no fire.

More than 200 passengers were kept on the plane as engineers changed the tyres and the debris was cleared from the runway.
Brisbane Airport Corporation said the plane was towed to the international terminal where the passengers disembarked around 11.30am (AEST).

There no injuries and the runway was not closed.

The plane left for a return flight to Auckland this afternoon.
==========================================================

There was nothing on the TV about it here in Adelaide, but I suspect that it would of have been shown on the Brisbane news as a Channel 7 Helicopter was up in the air about 3 mins after it happened.

Cheers.

:8

sarah737
26th Jan 2006, 07:02
Was there anything on the news about the numerous trucks or cars who had flat tyres on the motorway?

Flightsimman
26th Jan 2006, 09:00
There might of been if that car or truck was carrying over 200 people and worth over $100 Million.

:p

Rainboe
26th Jan 2006, 10:24
As incidents go, it may have scored a 1 or 2 out of 10. With self loading cargo on board, and the fact that it was only tyres that had the problem, and it might not have been immediately apparent what it was,and not being an emergency, why shut down engines immediately? There are many external cues as to whether a fire is burning. All pilots lose a tyre sometime, it's no big deal. Moving the aeroplane will not be possible immediately, without fire you will not carry out an evacuation, so sit there and assess the situation and liaise with the engineers and ATC. Problem solved. Did you expect to see the slides come out?

Centaurus
26th Jan 2006, 12:58
Rainbow. Losing a tyre no big deal, eh? Try telling that to the 220 dead passengers on the DC8 at Jeddah in Saudi Arabia many years ago that had a tyre blow out during take off followed by a brake fire after gear retraction followed by fire burning through into the fuselage causing passengers to fall through the hole made by the fire, followed by wing failure on final approach.

And it all started with one no big deal tyre failing....

Zurg
26th Jan 2006, 13:06
Oh my,

2 of 16 mainwheels tyres fail, dealt with normally by the crew it would appear, what a story!!

Rainboe
26th Jan 2006, 15:18
Centaurus, we are talking losing 2 tyres on landing with the aircraft stopped and without any fire. You are talking a completely different incident of tyre failure and fire in the air. I've lost single tyres on or after landing and not even been aware. ANd they've been changed without even delaying turnaround (although BA turnarounds tend to be longer than most other peoples).

Flightsimman
26th Jan 2006, 23:16
As incidents go, it may have scored a 1 or 2 out of 10. With self loading cargo on board, and the fact that it was only tyres that had the problem, and it might not have been immediately apparent what it was,and not being an emergency, why shut down engines immediately? There are many external cues as to whether a fire is burning. All pilots lose a tyre sometime, it's no big deal. Moving the aeroplane will not be possible immediately, without fire you will not carry out an evacuation, so sit there and assess the situation and liaise with the engineers and ATC. Problem solved. Did you expect to see the slides come out?

Rainboe....I am not trying to make a big deal of it mate, just reporting the facts thats all !

You guys are the professional pilots and I have no doubt that you all know your craft very well.

I thought I would report it as I heard nothing of it on P-Prune and it was the first time I have ever seen any kind of emergency live.

:ok: