PDA

View Full Version : More frustration!

msbatcha777
25th Jan 2006, 15:32
The problem with aviation is that all of them want experienced pilots! How do we gain the experience? We must get employed first! How can we get employed when we come out of flying schools with only 200-250 hrs?

jumpdrive
25th Jan 2006, 18:24
oh man ( or woman )
you maked me laughed
thats 1 question evryone of us asked in the beggining

all I can say is................welcome to the club

msbatcha777
26th Jan 2006, 02:23
Jusmpdrive.....I wrote that out of frustration. Thats the first time i have shown 1/100000000th of my frustration in writing!
I finished my training in march last year (2005) and i have applied to so many airlines and charter companies..... no one even replied! Except once from Transmile.
I was called by Transmile in Malaysia for an interview. They asked so many questions related to my personal life....tell me something abt ur wife's character! Do you have fights frequently?!! Can you stay without seeing your wife for more than a week!!??
They never did ask me even one aviation technical Qs!
My 2 friends who were there for the same interview got in! They graduated with me.... i passed my ATPLs in one go while they passed after 4 goes and 3 goes! Well you may say results are not the only things the airlines look for... chracter also counts. Well i have to say right from primary school to university.... i have been given character references which i feel are quite satisfactory... I can't say i am an angel either!
I have lost the respect for this airline! Not because they didn't hire me.... but because of the questions that are thought of as illegal to ask in many countries, were asked by them. I answered ALL their Qs well as i have been preparing for it for abt a month! I felt very confident after the interview.... only to find after a week.....i was not selected!
Mo

Hairy Chest
26th Jan 2006, 04:40
Go do your Flt inst rating, dont waste time sitting at home, flying sim on your computer. There is a huge shoratge of Flt instructors in India all the FTO are looking for xpat flt inst.

Sick Squid
26th Jan 2006, 10:58
One of the most important lessons I learned long ago is that you are in no position to judge how well or badly you have done at an interview... often you can think you've aced it, but you might not have answered the question you were asked without realising it. Having sat on the other side of the table for interviews since, this is something that happens a lot more than you might think.

Let this be your venting. What has happened has happened, what you have to do now is put it behind you and move on. Take any feedback you can and learn from it. You will be in a much better position at your next interview.

Squid

azure aviation
26th Jan 2006, 15:21
'tell me something abt ur wife's character! Do you have fights frequently?!! Can you stay without seeing your wife for more than a week'
....... AIDS=Aviation Induced Divorced Syndrome

msbatcha777
26th Jan 2006, 15:31
Hairy Chest...... i spent 8 years in Australia to complete my degree and flying training. All this while i spent there..... i worked my ass of to save money to pay for ALL those education to market myself to the aviation industry. I worked two jobs and sometimes three jobs at a time to save!

I came to Malaysia as there were opportinities at that time when i decided to come here. I converted here which depleted my savings plus give and take...... gave the word that i will return the money i borrowed and took the money to pay for conversion!

I am paying off the loans now...... my energy is depleted! Cannot afford to pay for anything other than food, rent and bills!

Thanks for the advice anyway......appreciate it.

msbatcha777
26th Jan 2006, 15:37
Sick Squid........ thanks for the advice. Isn't it illegal to ask those sort of private questions?!!

Anyway..... i have put it behind my back.....moving on...... sometimes it just catches up with me when i meet those who got in!!! I remember me helping them with ATPL class questions and now i am the one without a job!!!

msbatcha777
26th Jan 2006, 15:45
'tell me something abt ur wife's character! Do you have fights frequently?!! Can you stay without seeing your wife for more than a week'
....... AIDS=Aviation Induced Divorced Syndrome

I don't get it dude. What are you trying to say?

I know airlines prefer single persons to married ones to pilot their a/c. So if i am married they want to make sure that the pilot and his wife will be fine if the hubby doesn't come home for a week or more......

But if the wife supports the husband and understands the requirements of the job.... what is the problem then? I brought my wife to the interview and even introduced her to the panel! I told them my wife was there to give me moral support...... she wants me to get this job!

If airlines prefer single only.... then you'll see only see gays in the cockpit! ( I don't have anything against gays though)

Sick Squid
26th Jan 2006, 16:51
I can't categorically state whether such questions are illegal or not, but I can see absolutely no reason why they should be; you are after all applying to jump through a hoop created by an employer with a view to that employer investing thousands in you for training, salary etc. Particularly with an expat job, stability at home can be a major factor in the length of time an employee spends with the company, and the ease with which they fit into the local environment. i would consider such questions fair game were I interviewing for an expat airline; the tone and content of the question should be carefully chosen, but the reason behind asking is fair game.

At least two of the major expat employers employ the "cocktail party" technique, and one actively used to encourage the partner to attend as well, and of course not only the social skills of the applicant were being assesed but also the attitude of his partner to the expat environment. One can argue the merits or demerits of such until blue in the face, but it happens so has to be dealt with.

Bear in mind that different employers have different outlooks on what they see as their ideal employee, depending on many factors.

Rule35
27th Jan 2006, 20:21
I know airlines prefer single persons to married ones to pilot their a/c.

Out of curiosity, where do you derive this sort of information from?

If airlines prefer single only.... then you'll see only see gays in the cockpit! ( I don't have anything against gays though)

So you are saying that everyone who is single and a pilot is gay?

I think i may be seeing what the other side of the fence saw.....