PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe on WAP

Danny
25th Jan 2006, 15:12
I've just installed a plug-in that is supposed to let users browsing using a WAP device to browse the forums. Unfortunately, I am in an area of poor coverage at the moment and can't test the darned thing properly. Is there anyone out there who uses a WAP device to browse the internet willing to log into PPRuNe with it and let me know how they get on?

Conan the Librarian
25th Jan 2006, 15:35
Danny, would there be any prospect one day, of being able to access Pprune through an optimised PDA version? (Even RSS I suppose) With the layout of Pprune being essentially text, it might be an easy transition and useful for those down route that don't want to take their lightweight laptop along with heavyweight power supply, odds and sods, etc.

Conan

ExGrunt
25th Jan 2006, 15:50
Just tried using blackberry 7100t.

Worked for browsing - Didn't try to post as I am not sure if the blackberry would leave a personally identifiable indication.

EG

BOAC
25th Jan 2006, 16:10
Danny - logged in via PDA and I have a quite different page to the old one. Not sure whether this is a result of the WAP module, but just under the advert 'advert' I have a 'search forums' box followed by 'quick links'?

SyllogismCheck
25th Jan 2006, 16:16
Hey, mini pprune! Well, I'm browsing just fine from a regular WAP phone, no problems, looks good, flying pigs and everything. Now, can I post? Let's see!

BOAC
25th Jan 2006, 16:25
SC - on WAP, do you get the 'expanded' menu for users, ie below 'BOAC', do you see options as links without clicking on the name?

SyllogismCheck
25th Jan 2006, 16:27
Seems to work just fine. A lot of scrolling involved to move down a long page but that's hardly surprising.

Just like the 'real' page only with a few more links, ie. 'Add xxxx to your buddy list', 'View xxxx's homepage', and a few others under each posters name, which don't appear on the page proper.

I didn't see the links you mention though BOAC. Only the regular links, ie. every one from the 'PPRunNe Forums > Misc. Forums >... links', through all the links across the top of the page, ie. 'User CP' through 'Log Out'. Maybe your PDA somehow simulated a click on the 'Search' button in that row of links, it is afterall next to 'Quick Links' in the row of them I just mentioned.

BOAC. You read my mind! Yes, as above. :ok:

Or maybe I didn't notice the search box you mention, and WAP simply expands all such menus. That would seem more likely since we agree it expands the user name pop up menu.

BOAC
25th Jan 2006, 16:33
Yes, and clicking on your name produces a similar result to the 'big' forum.

AL1 - it seems to give me more options to look for threads/posts by you?

SyllogismCheck
25th Jan 2006, 16:39
I think what happens, BOAC, is that WAP simply loads all available links visibly onto the page rather than hiding them. Same thing, just with all options readily visible.

Works very well though - there goes another hour a day. :O

BOAC
25th Jan 2006, 16:41
I bow to your knowledge, Sir! This should be good news for the boss. Maybe that payrise at last.....................:rolleyes:

BRL
25th Jan 2006, 19:44
Here is what it looks like on my D500..........
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/pprune_wap.jpg

No pictures obviously just loads of texts and links. Would use it on a WAP phone like mine with a GPRS connection when only absolutely necessary.

ExGrunt
25th Jan 2006, 20:32
Tried to log in to read a PM and got bounced out with the following error message:

"Contact the admins to have your domain added to the white list"

Or words to that effect.

EG

amanoffewwords
25th Jan 2006, 20:42
On a Treo 600 it looks like this (with graphics switched off), it loads quite fast:
http://www.ecusb.net/smf/screenshots/pprune_wap.jpg

BEagle
27th Jan 2006, 07:15
What is the address? http://wap. something??

SyllogismCheck
27th Jan 2006, 09:08
I simply typed the usual address into the 'Go to' option on my phone, BE. Worked for me, but I'm not sure if my phone adds in any extra address bits needed, if there are any.

BOAC
27th Jan 2006, 09:15
Same for me, Beags, on a PDA.

BEagle
27th Jan 2006, 10:00
I just get a 'file format unknown' response if I type www.pprune.org into the 'go to address' field on a GPRS phone (Nokia 6310i)....

joe2812
27th Jan 2006, 10:11
I get 'Sorry! Page could not be loaded' on mine (SE K750i on O2). I tried www.pprune.org and with the /forums but same result.

joe2812
27th Jan 2006, 10:15
Typed 'yahoo.com' into the Custom Address thingy and searched for 'Pprune' there. Got the link and it works fine.

BEagle
27th Jan 2006, 11:56
Well, I tried that and just got "Your browser does not support frames"...:rolleyes:

Whatever the heck that means.

No biggy - shall continue to use the laptop and WiFi!

joe2812
27th Jan 2006, 14:49
BEags,

You could try http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,71993,00.html and send the GPRS, WAP etc settings to your phone.

I know some mobiles don't come with settings installed. A friend needed Samsung to send him his MMS settings before he could send and receive pictures.

They come in a text message, are free, and eay to install.

Might be worth a try if you're bothered at all.

Joe.

DeepC
27th Jan 2006, 17:32
Danny,

I've read PPRuNe a few times in the last couple of months from my Nokia 6630. Not knowing much about these things...

I think the phone or service provider decodes normal web pages into a format that can be read on these 3G handsets.

Now you've added the WAP thingy it looks slightly different but you still have to scroll quite a bit.

DeepC

Memetic
28th Jan 2006, 11:02
I know the site works on my phones as they use Opera (Nokia 9500 and P900)/ IE Mobile (XDAii) so I tried a few online WAP emulators. Two of them came back with variants of wrong MIME type messages, e.g. http://www.wapsilon.com/ says:
Wrong mime-type, I got text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1, but I want text/vnd.wap.wml.
This error occurs when you request a page that is not a WAP page, or when the webserver isn't set up correctly for hosting WAP sites"

BEagle
28th Jan 2006, 14:23
joe2812, thanks for the link but I think I'll wait and see....

Maxbert
30th Jan 2006, 19:47
Works a treat Danny (et. al.)!

Logged in first time on my Nokia 6260, just type in the URL (Mayhem ensued trying to access the "Photos of everyone" sticky in JB, though)... :(

Maxbert

paddyboy
30th Jan 2006, 20:58
Tried with my lowly 6230i...
Browsing = Fine
Logged on(eventually) = Fine
Making a post = Nope RX'd the msg "memory full".
Tried clearing cache etc & no joy.
Nearly there...:8 !

BahrainLad
31st Jan 2006, 11:43
Works well here in London on Vodafone 3G using a Sony Ericsson w900i.

Flyertalk are doing it as well. However, theirs seems to strip out a lot more of the "artifacts" and gives you much more of the posting content.