PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam helo hero dies

Thomas coupling
25th Jan 2006, 09:42
RIP Hugh Thompson

Hugh Thompson, a former Army helicopter pilot who helped save the lives of Vietnamese civilians from murderous US soldiers at My Lai, has died at 62.

Early in the morning of March 16, 1968, Thompson, door-gunner Lawrence Colburn and crew chief Glenn Andreotta came upon U.S. ground troops killing Vietnamese civilians in and around the village of My Lai.

They landed the helicopter in the line of fire between American troops and fleeing Vietnamese civilians and pointed their own guns at the U.S. soldiers to prevent more killings.

In 1998 the three men belatedly received medals for their bravery.

Heard the story last friday (19th). Very interesting scenario. The US mil administration castigated this pilot for nearly all of his career after he returned from Vietnam. Even attempting a court inditement.
It was only years after, that someone realised his true grit!

Sad loss. RIP.

Minty Fresh
25th Jan 2006, 11:36
Some more words on this from Jetblast a week or so ago for any one interested.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205198&highlight=Vietnam+Hero

bondu
25th Jan 2006, 19:43
As someone once said;

"For evil to triumph, good men need do nothing"

R.I.P.
bondu

El Viejo
26th Jan 2006, 09:09
Thanks for mentioning this, Thomas Coupling - I heard it on Radio 4 and meant to do so myself. The sad thing is how he was vilified afterwards and "Sent to Coventry" by his peers. Great moral courage and an example to all.

NickLappos
26th Jan 2006, 10:42
A strong reminder that often the most brave are those who speak out against the storm of critics, buck the tide and say, "Stop the insanity!" They are the real heros, not those who stand by and cheer as wrongs are perpetrated.

I cannot help but think about Condoleza Rice and George W. Bush telling us about "WMD" and "Mushroom Clouds" and wishing I were more like Hugh Thompson, then and now.