PDA

View Full Version : Computer locked up

Two_dogs
25th Jan 2006, 08:17
Hi All,

This is a bit of a long shot, but here goes.

My computer is never switched off, runs 24\7 as I consider an even operating temperature is probably a better option for all the hardware than the heating\cooling and expansion\contraction that must occur during on\off cycles.

After long periods of inactivity, usually first thing in the morning, my computer freezes up completely. As soon as I move the cursor it just turns off instantly and re-boots to a scandisk startup. I've tried Ctrl/Alt/Del to see what applications may be running, but there is no response at all. This happens whether applications are left running or the computer is just idling. This does not always happen, probably every second day.

Computer is about 4 years old running Win Me, all O/S patches are up to date and I have not recently installed any new software. I regularly run Ad-Aware\Spybot\Defrag and have Zone Alarm installed.
It's not really a major inconvenience but I would like to know what's causing this behaviour. Any suggestions appreciated.

Regards
Two dogs
http://www.avcanada.ca/albums/albums/userpics/11506/thumb_twodogs4.jpg

BOAC
25th Jan 2006, 08:56
Have a look at your 'power' options for 'snooze' etc? (and possibly drop ME?)

effortless
25th Jan 2006, 09:03
Win Me Nuff said, ditch it, it is the most unreliable heap ever. Oh all right Win95 was worse. Most Win systems benefit from regular rebooting as the OS is very flexible about harware foibles.

Saab Dastard
25th Jan 2006, 20:09
I agree with effortless about Win ME. Do yourself a favour and upgrade to XP!

I leave a WinXP system on 24x7 and have zero problems - can go for weeks without needing a reboot, and then usually only if a Windows Update or application install requires it.

Not as robust as some Novell servers I knew that ran for literally YEARS without re-start, but not too bad - and a lot better than pre-Win2K.

Flightsimman
25th Jan 2006, 23:29
Yes...I would start by removing Windows "Mexican Edition" and try reinstalling Windows 98 Second Edition instead.

Sounds like your PC installation is getting a little old and maybe a "C Check" is required here.

If you would like to keep "Mexican Edition" then I would backup your files and format your hard disk and reinstall the software.

Regards...

:ok:

Saab Dastard
26th Jan 2006, 09:06
Computer Locked Up

Some of us think ALL computers should be locked up ;)