PDA

View Full Version : Contract Salary

Skykreeper
25th Jan 2006, 07:34
Could some of you guys be so kind as to give an idea as to what First Officers on contract around Africa are getting?Not intrested in the company just looking for an average amount.

AAL
25th Jan 2006, 08:42
Usualy nothing and lucky when something !

I need your help, my name is Petros Mobutu. As you know my father passed away a few years ago and left substantial amounts of money in his secret bank accounts in Switzeland........

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Jan 2006, 09:14
Usually what you negotiate...

US$1000 to US$3000 per month depending on contract and experience.

stop&go
25th Jan 2006, 09:46
Depending on the contract $4500 + S&T
Also Insurance etc. Should you need a medivac.

south coast
25th Jan 2006, 10:41
whatever you can get...just make sure you get it...have been many who have been made empty promises.

MungoP
25th Jan 2006, 11:09
If STOP&GO would kindly pm me as to where I can get a job earning $4500 pm as an F/o I will not only gladly vacate my left hand seat but introduce him to my sister and lend him my boat for his annual holidays....

Old Bullet
25th Jan 2006, 11:30
I say Mungo, this is important: does your sister know how to clean fish??:E

OB

MungoP
25th Jan 2006, 11:39
I expect so...Every girl I've ever got to know well gives me that impression...

south coast scaff
25th Jan 2006, 14:07
Mungo how do you spell your sisters name again? :}

stop&go
25th Jan 2006, 14:23
Hey Mungo haven't you heard about the 3 F's. If it ***'s,****'s or Floats rent it.
Now wonder you make yourself available for cheap labour.Do you know what a fitter and turner earn in Africa?

MungoP
25th Jan 2006, 14:48
No I've no idea what a 'Fitter' or 'Turner' earns...or fits and turns for that matter...I'd rather be flying...and in any case I assume that you're talking about South Africa...where it's just been decided to dump the countries 'Eagle' emblem in favour of one depicting a condom which would appear to be more representative as it ... allows for inflation...halts production....destroys the next generation....protects a bunch of D*cks.....and gives you a sense of security while being screwed....

MysticFlyer
25th Jan 2006, 15:49
Good one MungoP, but that one I wouldn't rent, OK:ok:

Skykreeper
25th Jan 2006, 15:50
Okay Okay!!
For those of you that do get paid,do you get it only when you are on contract or on and off??

wiseman75
25th Jan 2006, 16:42
Okay Okay!!
For those of you that do get paid,do you get it only when you are on contract or on and off??

Usually companies will only pay when on tour,some do offer retainers whilst off but subject to tax. $3500 about average.(includes s&T)

Hours and experience taken into account.....:ok:

MineDog
25th Jan 2006, 21:46
3500 to 4500$ ... for a F/O .... contract .... in Africa????
whew.... maybe the people coming up with these figures better come up with some names ...
as far as i now: between 500 and 1500$

please prove me wrong, because 4500$ is more likely what you should get, but hey, it's aviation and it Africa, isn't it:}

wonder what a captain makes :E

south coast scaff
26th Jan 2006, 04:36
All contract pilots in Africa - beware...
If you are ever offered work from one of the following individuals, stay well away...
T M (RJM Aviation - N'Djamena, Chad)
R L (Continental Aviation, and a host of other paper companies - SA)
P H (As above)

These guys are crookes. They hire pilots for long contracts in Africa. Send you away without a float, S&T or engineer. When you return they dissappear, failing to pay the outstanding monies owing. If you try to collect, they threaten to put a bullet in your head.

DO NOT be caught out. I was and worked for free for 3 months.

joshuaw
26th Jan 2006, 08:13
Anually CAD 90 000.00 plus medical, loss of license, and pension.

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Jan 2006, 08:21
90k Canuck?

That's pretty good for the F/O slot, never mind the extras...

Where do I sign?

RICCARDOVOLANTE
26th Jan 2006, 16:13
"3500 to 4500$ ... for a F/O .... contract .... in Africa????
whew.... maybe the people coming up with these figures better come up with some names ..."
King Air Service of S.A. offer me as F/O on the Be 1990 for the Sudan contract 4500 USD.I never work for him but that was the price he come up with me.
Sincerely
Riccardo Volante

Skykreeper
26th Jan 2006, 16:46
Regarding experiance!!!!
Know of guys with less than a 1000hrs total get $3500 on and off and know of guys getting $2000 with 3500hrs total just when on contract.Same aircraft,similar contract,different company.How's that possible?

Cessnafan
26th Jan 2006, 16:59
All contract pilots in Africa - beware...
If you are ever offered work from one of the following individuals, stay well away...
T M(RJM Aviation - N'Djamena, Chad)
R L (Continental Aviation, and a host of other paper companies - SA)
P H (As above)
These guys are crookes. They hire pilots for long contracts in Africa. Send you away without a float, S&T or engineer. When you return they dissappear, failing to pay the outstanding monies owing. If you try to collect, they threaten to put a bullet in your head.
DO NOT be caught out. I was and worked for free for 3 months.
For those of you who dont believe it, believe it!! South Coast Scaff speaks the truth, I've also experienced these guys! Also look out for P T and P O of Jetfly in Cameroon, they also mix with the above people too

south coast
26th Jan 2006, 17:10
because in general, the south african operators treat their pilots like sh*ite...pay peanuts, and we all know what you get.

but forsight is not strong or high on their list of priorities, hence you see the contracts doing the rounds of the contract companies....

a stepping stone to a serious job is all the contract companies can ever be because they dont offer anything serious to those who would have been serious about staying and working hard for the company.

just my opinion, but i think there are a few who might well agree...

Jetdriver
26th Jan 2006, 17:21
The use of real names that are not already in the wider public domain is not normaly permitted.

I do not care if you are referring to Adolf Hitler or Mother Theresa ( although both names are in the wider public domain :) ) It is not acceptable to post this information whilst protecting yourself with the anonymity that your username provides.

Skykreeper
26th Jan 2006, 17:25
I do agree!!

But now, most contracts have huge requirements for First Officers...and for a while a lot of pilots were around with enough time and despirate for work.I think that things are changing quickly to where experienced First Officers are becomming rare and that some companies are going to run into a tight situation.

Why not invest in a few pilots thats willing to stay on the contract step for a while????

south coast
26th Jan 2006, 17:41
because they are greedy and want to make money immediately instead of investing in their personnel and making money for the next 5 years with happy and reliable crew...

its a mind set...thats all.

Cessnafan
26th Jan 2006, 17:49
because they are greedy and want to make money immediately instead of investing in their personnel and making money for the next 5 years with happy and reliable crew...
its a mind set...thats all.
Quite true!

MysticFlyer
26th Jan 2006, 22:35
Yeah it sucks, big time. Wouldn't it be great to associate your name with a successful company and feel proud about it? Remember those days, when you said, I have this company, I employ aviators. Or I fly for XYZ and boy, what a great company, 5 years down the line....

Thank goodness for pprune, Jetdriver, isn't it the essence, to get anyone who is not treating someone else with the dignity he/she deserves back into shape?

Yes, too direct is one thing too, so tread carefully, or take those consequences!

MF;)

I.R.PIRATE
27th Jan 2006, 06:37
I think they wanted to pay you that to @##$ off and never come back RV.

MysticFlyer
27th Jan 2006, 09:42
I think they wanted to pay you that to @##$ off and never come back RV.

Another excellent posting/contribution, must say, anyone make head or tails from this? PM could work too...

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Jan 2006, 09:59
"3500 to 4500$ ... for a F/O .... contract .... in Africa????
whew.... maybe the people coming up with these figures better come up with some names ..."
King Air Service of S.A. offer me as F/O on the Be 1990 for the Sudan contract 4500 USD.I never work for him but that was the price he come up with me.
Sincerely
Riccardo Volante

Possibly in this context, old fruit......:ok:

MineDog
27th Jan 2006, 21:36
Last year I worked for KAS, The Sudan, UN contract. If I'm correct the pay for F/O on the 1900 was around 2000$ at that stage. All F/O's also seemed to be PIC on the Van, maybe thats why this salary. Can't immagine pays have more than doubled in 1 year time. But again, please do prove me wrong...

Still want to know: if a F/O gets 4500$, what about a Captain on same contract??:D

Ok-ok, I'll be honest (is a RUMOURS net the place?, but hey): I make 5000$ as a PIC for each month on, on the 1900. What about you guys?

Cheers

RICCARDOVOLANTE
28th Jan 2006, 07:04
MineDog ,
that price was given to me from the boss of KAS in person on March 2005. As Captain the price ,after 2 stages as F/O,was on 5500 USD.I do not know if he was going to pay such amount of money , but that was the reasons because I spent over 3000 USD of airline ticket to fly to SA , now after you post I start to have a lot of doubts about it, so I think that I wasted my money and time.
Thanks
Sincerely
Riccardo Volante

D228Techman
28th Jan 2006, 19:50
For those of you who dont believe it, believe it!! South Coast Scaff speaks the truth, I've also experienced these guys! Also look out for P T and P O of Jetfly in Cameroon, they also mix with the above people too

I Am P O from JETFLY.com in Cameroon. Just to clear things up we have had the same crew for almost one year and their salaries are 100% up to date. We have never threatened to put a bullet in anybodies head. Maybe Mr. cessnafan will be so nice as to point out WHY he did not recieve his last salary. I also think it is very improper of him to just go out and do something like this, just to satisfy his inadequacy.

Cheers

Cessnafan
28th Jan 2006, 20:51
I Am P O from JETFLY.com in Cameroon. Just to clear things up we have had the same crew for almost one year and their salaries are 100% up to date. We have never threatened to put a bullet in anybodies head. Maybe Mr. cessnafan will be so nice as to point out WHY he did not recieve his last salary. I also think it is very improper of him to just go out and do something like this, just to satisfy his inadequacy.

Cheers
No one said anything about you two(P.T and P.O) threatening people with bullets; guilty conscience perhaps?
So Mr PO, I'll give you the honour of pointing out why I did not receive my last 3 months salary, and that of the co pilot who served you people loyally for 2 years, and who you promised the world and proceeded to wipe your backsides on. Come now, dont be shy, and choose your words carefully old chap!

D228Techman
28th Jan 2006, 21:15
No one said anything about you two(P.T and P.O) threatening people with bullets; guilty conscience perhaps?
So Mr PO, I'll give you the honour of pointing out why I did not receive my last 3 months salary, and that of the co pilot who served you people loyally for 2 years, and who you promised the world and proceeded to wipe your backsides on. Come now, dont be shy, and choose your words carefully old chap!

I don't need to run anyone down on the internet. Then again if i knew the kind of poison you were going to INJECT into the co-pilot I would never have asked you to come and fly here. But then good attitude was never one of your qualities. Lastly I don't need to choose my words but you might want to.
:ok:

joshuaw
29th Jan 2006, 10:54
I am chopper (fling wing) f/o fyling in Gabon. As stated before approx CAD 90 000.00 annually. Not sure what f/o get on fixed wing but do understand that it is less. Industry has moved a lot for us and hope it will for fellow colleagues. Definitely not SA company.

Old Bullet
30th Jan 2006, 03:15
The latest scam being used by contract companies (some respectable ones too), is the application of a "PERFORMANCE BONUS". If your paperwork is not up to date or you farted in the general direction of management, you don't get all your pay. Flies in the face of the basic conditions of employment, but in the new RSA, who gives a continental??? So you stand to lose even more of your measly P2 pittance if you f up.:*

On top of that, a post of P2 is applied on aircraft types like C208, B200, while the CAA does not recognise this, but in this way co-jos are created to fill seats at less cost while satisfying unrealistic client minimum requirements. Then the same clients and companies bleat about there not being enough pilots around?????

Oh yes, maybe "performance bonuses" should be instituted for management types and beancounters, if you want real efficiency.....:sad:

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Jan 2006, 06:34
Riiiight...!

Like that's got any chance of happening.....:rolleyes: :hmm:

Amazing how the mahogany bomber pilots who bleat the most are those who wouldn't be seen dead in the places we're expected to perform as though we had all the support they have back home.:E

Cessnafan
30th Jan 2006, 20:59
Mr P.O, my attitude is generally good, it does however tend to decline when I receive no moolas for my services. I know your present crew and they are good boys, look after them! Tell your boss to do it different this time. As for my outstanding salary, hey I guess school fees are expensive:ok:

MBDriver
31st Jan 2006, 13:18
To answer Skykreeper:- the salary for a F/O on a B200 or 1900 type a/c is between $1000.00 and $3000.00 per month, with food, accomodation and transport. Airfares, injections and medical while you are working is also provided.
OB you sound like a few people I know, using words like scam and giving the incorrect impression. Performance bonus is an amount over and above the salary and is usually around $ 500.00 per month, so a top paid F/O would get $ 3500.00 when this is added in.
Have you ever considered what it takes to run a contract from the Back End and yes performance Bonus is also usually applied to management types and beancounters but they only get it once a year. It is also funny that dispite begging and pleading for years, since the implimentation of the dreaded PB suddenly the weekly reports get sent, we can actually read what is written on the flight folia and they are also filled in correctly. These small details might seem superfluous to you but the flight folios are a legal requirement, as you should know and are also checked by the CAA and all the customers,i.e. the UN WFP and oil companies when they do audits. Passing these audits, is a prerequisite to keeping and getting contracts, which by the way keeps the management types and the crews in a job.
Just another point, a lot of the management types were working contract before most of the crews were born, and did not have internet, cell phones etc. so when you went away, you were out of contact with the family untill you got back.

Solid Rust Twotter
31st Jan 2006, 15:54
Just another point, a lot of the management types were working contract before most of the crews were born, and did not have internet, cell phones etc. so when you went away, you were out of contact with the family untill you got back.

What contracts would these be? Not many Saffer ships in Africa (or other places) before '92 or so....

MBDriver
31st Jan 2006, 19:14
Solid Rust, in actual fact Helicopter contracts from 1976 in various places like for instance the paradise of Rio Grande on Tierra del Fuego, the jungel of central South America to name but 2.

Old Bullet
1st Feb 2006, 04:14
I see its more important in these forums to "identify" submitters of threads than stick to the business at hand....:confused:

scam, sham, jam, whatever, here's my/others' experience:

Pilot approaches contract company for job.
Company likes pilot.
Pilot likes company.
Both agree, by contract that he can get a certain size cake for doing the job.
Both happy, contract of employment signed.
He leaves on contract.
Company then informs him that a slice of said cake is now suddenly a bargaining chip in case he fs up (bonus, what bonus????? Its part of the original cake fer Pete's sake!!!)
Pilot feels let down:(

Luckily he doesnt f up, but the ever present weapon of choice, the sword of Damocles, doesn't let him sleep easy at night. Pity he has to be subject to this kind of treatment because of others indiscretions......

BTW, I agree, paperwork is extremely important, and if its going to be done, it must be done properly (badly managed paperwork once led to the wings coming off my friend's aircraft. He died. It wasn't his paperwork either......)

Now I suppose some clown's gonna tell me life's not fair??:hmm:

OB

Sorry Mod, maybe this should be a whole new thread...

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Feb 2006, 04:46
Thanks MB.

I started contract flying in the early '90s when the only way to get a message out was by HF radio. Didn't know about those chopper contracts. Only difference was in those days the weckers in the bush were appreciated and an effort was made to retain them as crew. It appears the current mindset is not to give a pair of rusty rat's clackers as there are 50 CVs on the boss' desk, all prepared to pay for their own type rating and work for nothing. Few companies have the integrity to turn those people away and those are the companies you want to work for. Anyone who asks you to pay for a type rating doesn't have any faith in their selection procedures or their company and is not prepared to take a stand on the fact that they picked the right person or that the company will still be around in a year or two when a bond should expire.

MBDriver
1st Feb 2006, 06:00
SRT
It appears the current mindset is not to give a pair of rusty rat's clackers as there are 50 CVs on the boss' desk, all prepared to pay for their own type rating and work for nothing. Few companies have the integrity to turn those people away and those are the companies you want to work for. Anyone who asks you to pay for a type rating doesn't have any faith in their selection procedures or their company and is not prepared to take a stand on the fact that they picked the right person or that the company will still be around in a year or two when a bond should expire.

I could not agree with you more, But as you have stated it is not the mind set of all the contract companies

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Feb 2006, 06:32
Amen, Brother....

Where do I sign up...?:ok:

south coast
1st Feb 2006, 09:41
mb driver, could you just cryptically give us a name of a contract operator who does not display the descibed mindset?

MBDriver
1st Feb 2006, 13:04
South Coast I know that CHC formally Court dont expect you to pay for conversions however as I assume you are talking about Fixed wing companies:- I know from a young frien that NAC do not expect you to pay for the conversion and in fact have taken a number of 200 hour pilots and converted them to 1900 and 200. Naturelink also have a bond scheme.

Mungalui
1st Feb 2006, 13:27
Bond scheme definately the way forward.
Already spent enough money to get where I am.
Glad to hear guys are getting jobs,wish I knew some people when I had 200 hrs. :sad:
Hope they appreciate it.Contract flying salary not that bad.Used to fly for crap to get my hours up. :ok:

rich66
2nd Feb 2006, 11:38
I am chopper (fling wing) f/o fyling in Gabon. As stated before approx CAD 90 000.00 annually. Not sure what f/o get on fixed wing but do understand that it is less. Industry has moved a lot for us and hope it will for fellow colleagues. Definitely not SA company.

Hello Joshw,
Salaries for fixed wing F.O.'s in your area are very close to half of what you get in CAD $. See you for a burger;, but you need to pay!

joshuaw
2nd Feb 2006, 12:41
Hey Rich66, no problem will do, where i am the burgers aren't that expensive but will be leaving for home in SA next week and that for 6 weeks. 6 on 6 off. Not bad though, otherwise you get to Dbn give us call and will get together for better burger.