PDA

View Full Version : United twin to plead guilty.

fr8box
25th Jul 2001, 17:41
Nation: Twin agrees to plead guilty in fight on United Airlines flight.
By MARY PEMBERTON, Associated Press

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (July 24, 2001 11:04 p.m. EDT) - One of two identical twins charged in a scuffle aboard a United Airlines flight that forced the China bound plane to be diverted to Anchorage has agreed to plead guilty to hitting several members of the flight crew.

A copy of a plea agreement signed by 22-year-old Cynthia Mikula and prosecutors said she would receive less than the maximum sentence of 20 years in prison. Mikula, of Buckley, Mich., agreed to plead guilty to one count of interfering with a flight crew.

The plea agreement still requires a judge's approval.

The women were headed to a modeling competition in Shanghai, China, on April 19 when they began drinking, swore at each other, smoked and assaulted members of the flight crew.

Mikula is scheduled to enter her plea and be sentenced on either Sept. 18 or 19. She had been scheduled to go to trial Wednesday.

Her sister, Crystal Mikula, pleaded guilty earlier this month to a charge of misdemeanor assault. She faces a maximum six-month sentence and $5,000 fine when she is sentenced Sept. 20.

Cynthia Mikula admitted in the plea agreement to hitting two flight attendants and the captain. Crystal Mikula admitted jumping on the back of another flight attendant and choking him in an attempt to prevent her sister from being restrained with plastic handcuffs. One of the plane's 233 passengers videotaped the scuffle.

The pilot was forced to divert the plane to Anchorage where the passengers and 22 crew members had to spend the night before resuming the trip.

Mauri Long, Cynthia Mikula's lawyer, said the reasons for her client's behavior would likely be explained at her sentencing hearing.

"She feels really bad about what happened," Long said.

(Whatever her sentence, I'm sure it won't be long enough. But alas, the poor girl feels really bad about what happened.)

:mad:

LAVDUMPER
25th Jul 2001, 17:56
Being contrite is not good enough. Both girls should burn for this one - I hope they are forced to pay the entire lodging bill for the passengers and crew.

Another case of superficial models who consider themselves above all others - free to act lawlessly. I am surprised that more passengers didn't get involved in stopping this fracas - I know I would have unloaded on anyone endangering the crew - especially the captain...

I hope they fry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cyclic Hotline
25th Jul 2001, 18:55
Hit 'em where it really hurts - in the pocket!

Air rage twin set to plead guilty

FELONY: Cynthia Mikula faces up to 20 years in prison.

By Molly Brown
Anchorage Daily News

(Published: July 25, 2001)
One of the twin models whose bad behavior forced a nonstop international flight to be diverted to Anchorage in April has agreed to plead guilty to interfering with a flight crew, a federal felony, according to court papers.

Cynthia Mikula, 22, will be sentenced after she enters the guilty plea at a hearing in September, according to court records. She faces up to 20 years in prison, a $250,000 fine, a $100 fee, and a three-year term of supervised release.

The plea agreement filed in U.S. District Court Monday estimates Mikula's sentence will range between zero and six months.

Mikula was originally scheduled to change her plea today. According to court documents, she requested a delay until September because her family will be in Anchorage for the sentencing of her sister, Crystal Mikula, who pleaded guilty July 12 to striking a flight attendant, a misdemeanor. The women have been living in their hometown of Buckley, Mich. in the custody of their parents since early June. They spent 44 days in Anchorage, mostly at Hiland Mountain Correctional Center, following their arrest.

The Mikula sisters were on an all-expenses-paid trip to an international model expo in China on April 19 when they caused a United Airlines jumbo jet headed from San Francisco to Shanghai to make an unplanned stop in Anchorage. They were indicted in May and each was charged with interference with a flight crew for conduct that included punching one flight attendant, putting another in a chokehold and hitting other crew members.

Cynthia Mikula was eventually placed in plastic handcuffs.

According to the plea agreement, Cynthia Mikula will be ordered to pay restitution to United Airlines. The company has estimated that the unplanned 24-hour layover cost $100,000.

27driver
25th Jul 2001, 18:57
Throw them both in the clink....!
It's two to tango, and I'm sure the other girl was no "angel" either..... Set a precedence with this case, maybe it will make the rest of the flying public aware that this sort of action WILL NOT be tolerated IN ANY MANOR. :mad: