PDA

View Full Version : UNSAFE SKIES (by you know who) Suggest you read it.

karrank
25th Jan 2006, 01:33
Noted the following on the rant page of somebody I can't bring myself to mention the name of:

"For a copy of the colour book 'Unsafe Skies' including colour diagrams and photographs: Simply phone 0429 134 726 and leave your name and address (slowly)... …It will be sent to you free of charge."

Well I did and would recommend any others with an interest in the issues do the same. I in NO WAY endorse or support much of its content and consider it contains much untruth, (possible well intentioned). But it is much more reasonable than I expected, especially in comparison to the hysterical nature of his headline attempts with the same information in press releases, radio/TV rants & posts on this forum. Some of these hysterical releases are included on separate A4 pages, suitable for... well I'm using them in the smallest room in my house.

What it does do is to give a clear indication, not visible in other stuff that has made it into pilots letterboxes thus far, of what the big picture he wants is. I personally don't mind if this is what we ATC do, and don't care what the airspace is, (SEP), but the above document is the best public indication I've seen of what is intended. Is this what you want? If yes or no I would do what it says on page 45 and make your points to:

The Hon John Howard MP
Prime Minister
Parliament House
CANBERRA ACT 2600

Consider a day of bad weather at an aerodrome with an instrument approach like Portland, VIC. Two aircraft inbound, I clear #1 to descend to the LSALT, I procedurally separate #2 above, he/she will reach the clearance limit and enter the hold. A third aircraft telephones (Somebody turned off domestic HF remember) the center for a clearance, I relay "Unable clearance, call again at time xxxx" (xxxs is the time the second aircraft is expected to be on the ground).

At a suitable time I clear arrival #1 for the approach and overshoot, I clear #2 to a level above both. At some stage they will talk on the CTAF. This is a pilot thing and ATC don't know or care. If they get traffic from a CAGRO on the VFR we can't see whacko. If they get traffic on IFR that's nice, but I've passed what I think relevant already. Arrival #1 subsequently telephones to advise they have landed. I clear #2 for approach & overshoot & the pilot subsequently telephones to advise he/she has landed.

Departing aircraft by now has become airborne VFR and will call for clearance, or will phone again.

As a controller this sounds like fun.

CaptainMidnight
25th Jan 2006, 05:52
As a controller this sounds like fun.And at the same time as you are doing all that, you are also providing the same service to aircraft doing similar things at all other ADs in your patch, as well as enroute high level aircraft.

The man doesn't seem to accept that to do all this requires a vast increase in ATC staff and equipment.