PDA

View Full Version : NZ licence conversion

andi1234
24th Jan 2006, 17:44
Hi everyone,

Finaly finished my NZ cpl conversion to Uk cpl and have at long last sent off all my docs to the CAA.

Everything seemed to be going ok when I recieved a call this morning. It turns out that they wouldn't accept the points off my NZ licence because my NZ medical has expired. This seems a bit silly because as I have been in the UK for 2 years and have no intension of flying commercialy in NZ, so now I need to find someone who can revalidate NZ medicals in the Uk just to get my licence issued!

has anyone else had this problem?

cheers

andrew

Dotun
24th Jan 2006, 17:58
I thought all you need now was a valid UK class 1 medicals. :confused:

Regards
DMan

757manipulator
24th Jan 2006, 18:46
That sounds like the CAA are taking the P##S, I did mine 3 yrs ago, got my JAA (UK) Class 1, and then the License no problem..even though my NZ class 1 had expired 18 months previously. Try to speak to someone else, PM me if you like.

Cheers

andi1234
24th Jan 2006, 18:59
757 manipulator - check your PM's :ok:

cheers mate

andy

Artificial Horizon
24th Jan 2006, 21:16
They are certainly taking the p*ss, I converted around 3 years ago when my NZ class one was over 2 years out of date. I just had to get a UK medical, just for interest you can get your NZ medical revalidated at the same time as getting your initial UK medical completed at Gatwick. Just need to take the NZ medical forms with you.

flybyshark
24th Jan 2006, 21:21
I converted mine last year and was told by the CAA that for my Kiwi licence to be valid for use in converting to UK JAA it had to be supported by a current kiwi Class 1 medical cert.

Got it done at AMS at Gatwick for about £105.

757manipulator
24th Jan 2006, 21:51
Gee its not like the CAA to change the rules to suit themselves:hmm: mayby they have stopped taking 2 hr lunch breaks as well?

andi1234
24th Jan 2006, 23:12
talked to nz caa today - they were realy vague about it aswell - looks like i'm just gonna have to do it, there are only two guys in the uk that can do the nz medical aswell - both a gatwick.

what do i need to get it revalidated? just my old medical?

cheers again

andy

flybyshark
25th Jan 2006, 07:20
I took my old Medical and licence along with passport for I.D.

The Doc is:
[email protected]

It was a good no nonsense medical.

Other guys at the same training place as me last year had same problems, wasnt just kiwi licence, FAA also.

All told same thing, medical must be current for licence to be valid for conversion. Only concession was that medical only had to be current for when paperwork was being done, not for the flight test.

GusHoneybun
25th Jan 2006, 09:22
Can't see what you guys are grumbling about. The rules have always been that you need a valid foreign licence for JAA conversion. And a kiwi licence aint valid without the current medical. Been like that for donkeys years.
If you got away with it before, good on you, but that doesn't set a precedent.