PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair: "Revolution". Charge for baggage

virginblue
24th Jan 2006, 11:11
Ryanair has apparently invited for simultaneous press conferences across Europe at very short notice for tomorrow 25JAN06, 12am.

The invitation states that they will reveal a pioneering improvement of the low-cost concept and the news will be a "big bang".

Anyone in the know what they are up to ? A frequent flyer programme, as Germanwings and Air Berlin both already have one ?

Hansol
24th Jan 2006, 11:24
I hope its not in flight gambling, if it is it would say to me that the Irish boys are getting desperate for new revenue lines.

sickBocks
24th Jan 2006, 11:35
Free flights - but charging for baggage. Or maybe anyone over standard masses charged per extra kilo. Expect Ryanair gym franchises to follow.

:confused:

HZ123
24th Jan 2006, 11:43
More gloom for us at BA Connect ?

phil_2405
24th Jan 2006, 11:46
Internet check-in would be my guess

aeulad
24th Jan 2006, 11:49
I would expect something along the lines of the innovative Flybe policy of charging for hold baggage.

Regards

Mike

answer=42
24th Jan 2006, 12:50
well, Leo Hairy Camel posted on pprune a short while ago about the trans-Atlantic dimension.... Perhaps that came straight from the camel's mouth.

EI-CFC
24th Jan 2006, 12:57
Ryanair has apparently invited for simultaneous press conferences across Europe at very short notice for tomorrow 25JAN06, 12am.
The invitation states that they will reveal a pioneering improvement of the low-cost concept and the news will be a "big bang".
Anyone in the know what they are up to ? A frequent flyer programme, as Germanwings and Air Berlin both already have one ?

I highly doubt it will be a FF program, or transatlantic. Online check-in or pay-for-baggage a-la Flybe is my guess - that or something way out there!!:ooh:

Oshkosh George
24th Jan 2006, 13:08
It would hardly be a 'revolution' if another airline was already doing it.

I was going to book an easyJet flight today,but think I'll just wait till tomorrow!:)

Sky_Captain
24th Jan 2006, 13:14
If it's for the low cost concepts, then it's something that the either the majors or legacys have already done. Easyjet already have done self check in, but internet check-in it may be. I know BA offer it but don't think the lo-co's do.

Or the news being a big bang, could mean for the staff :suspect: If they introduce self check-in and internet check-in at all Ryanair destinations, then all that will be needed is somebody at a baggage drop desk.. Resulting in Ryanair shedding about 75% of it's check-in staff :eek: How much of a savings would that be in O'Learys pocket, and I know he would have the balls to do it too :mad: :mad:

S.C.

Kestrel_909
24th Jan 2006, 13:23
I'm also guessing for online check-in. MOL mentioned it some time ago while on BBC breakfast news with Declan. Aren't GSM starting this also?

Dan Winterland
24th Jan 2006, 13:51
Improving their pilot's terms and conditions so that they stop resigning and don't have to keep brand new aircraft grounded 'cos there's nobody to fly them?

Sorry, better be more serious.

blahblahblah
24th Jan 2006, 14:37
My money is on internet check-in

bacardi walla
24th Jan 2006, 15:10
Maybe they will announce that they will start telling the truth from here on....:uhoh:

michaelknight
24th Jan 2006, 15:22
They have solved the pilot shortage?

LOL No chance!

MK

dwlpl
24th Jan 2006, 16:13
They have recently suggested that there is no reason why a terminal is needed to do check-ins and may do 'off airport' check-ins nearby.

sky9
24th Jan 2006, 16:26
IAA have approved pilot training and Sim Checks on Microsoft Flight Sim; and the decimalisation of hours so allowing 100 minutes in each flight hour.

Tom the Tenor
24th Jan 2006, 16:53
The closing down of the snn base and the putting in of the three 737s at a new base in Cork! :} :) :eek:

hapzim
24th Jan 2006, 17:24
Will it be as good as the FlyMonarch "revolution" that hit the media a few days ago ?

Or just a promise not to cancel so many flights :(

INKJET
24th Jan 2006, 18:47
Perhaps they are going to start employing English speaking pilots who understand what "standard speeds" mean!!

Viktor

wingman863
24th Jan 2006, 19:18
I should have guessed. A week after I book my first flight on Ryanair, having been previously scared of not getting to my destination. Of round europe for a month later this year and will probably be carrying loads of stuff with me. I chose them reluctantly because they went where I wanted to go but now I will probably find that they will want to charge me £200 for my luggage. Wonderful.

Unless its online check-in in which case thats great as I will avoid the tail-backs at Dublin.

I knew there was a reason why I stuck to BA, Bmi and Easyjet.

phil_2405
24th Jan 2006, 19:31
I think it will be web check-in for hand baggage pax only. I guess web check-in for people with hold baggage may follow but Ryanair would then need to man a separate bag drop desk wouldn't they? otherwise there would be no point in doing it if you had to join the standard check-in queue.

Betaranger
24th Jan 2006, 21:05
Free coffee?

VHF FLYER
24th Jan 2006, 21:43
The only thing that Ryanair are good at (in a big bang kind of a way if you like) is self publicity and marketing. They are masters at this - in fact genius.
Most other things they are below average or worst from a (humble) passenger perspective of course Mr O'Leary m'lud.

ryan2000
24th Jan 2006, 23:23
Is it to explain the reason why so many flights at Shannon were cancelled today, Poor load factors, disappointing yields???

0-8
25th Jan 2006, 10:08
Taken from what I assume is the supporting press release:
* FARES REDUCED BY 9% (£2.50 OR €3.50) FROM 16TH MARCH '06
* WEB CHECK-IN TO ELIMINATE CHECK-IN AND AIRPORT QUEUES
* LUGGAGE ALLOWANCES INCREASED FROM 25KGS TO 30KGS
* PASSENGERS ONLY PAY FOR THE BAGGAGE SERVICE THEY USE

"all passengers travelling with checked in luggage who book after 16th March will now pay a fee of £2.50 (€3.50) per bag, per flight if booked in advance on the website, or £5.00 (€7.00) per bag, per flight if presented unbooked at the airport."

More here - http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=06&month=jan&story=gen-en-250106

Sky_Captain
25th Jan 2006, 10:50
This is total Bo:mad: ox....

LUGGAGE ALLOWANCES INCREASED FROM 25KGS TO 30KGS The allowance has always been 15kg per bag not 25kg :} and ok maybe its the compromise of 15kg checked in luggage and 10kg hand baggage, well it''s still wrong. They allow what, 7 or 8kg hand luggage, I know because they have taken my flight case from me before because it weighed 10 bloody kg :mad:

all passengers travelling with checked in luggage who book after 16th March will now pay a fee of £2.50 (€3.50) per bag, per flight if booked in advance on the website, or £5.00 (€7.00) per bag, per flight if presented unbooked at the airport.

How do you know how many bags you will take on a flight you possibly book weeks in advance??? And what happens if you plan to take one checked in bag and one carry on, but turn up to the airport with 2 bags to check in :oh: What will they say...."that'll be another 7 Euro for that one, oh and your cabin bags weighs 11 kg, that'll have to be checked in too, that'll be another 7 euro, oh and with that your over-weight on your baggage allowance, how sad, that'll be another 3 to 5 euro per kilo over. Now if you'll just go over and pay at the ticket desk then come back and queue up again i'll get you your boarding card"

And then after all that your told, "Sorry but your flights been cancelled because the BAA have made a mistake with their scheduling and Boeing didn't deliver your plane on time..........Whats that you say, a refund, NO, we don't do that here, why don't you get a hotel room for the night and try again tomorrow, oh and we'll have to charge you for any excess baggage tomorrow because you'll be on a different flight" :bored: :oh: :eek: :} :} :}

And all that just to save 9% on your fare, and my favourite from the site...passengers who presently travel with just hand luggage will avail of lower fares, will avoid the inconvenience of check-in or boarding gate queues Boarding gate queues :* So you won't have to line up in your individual "sequence number 1 to 65" queue any more :eek: is that what there trying to say, you won't feel like cattle being herded through the gate as your pushed by other idiots who just can't wait to get on to the aircraft and inspect the shiney new YELLOW interior and spend 5 euro on a coke, or maybe there just looking forward to "on-board gambling" and being able to sit back in the NON-Reclining seats, put there paper or magazine away in the Imaginary seat pockets:yuk:

10 DME ARC
25th Jan 2006, 11:00
“Priority boarding for passenger’s travelling without hold luggage who have checked in online” So all those struggling to board with “10kg” hand luggage will slow up the people travelling much lighter!

Why not make on line check in available to everyone and have a luggage drop off point at the airport?

aeroBits
25th Jan 2006, 11:34
=10 DME ARC

Why not make on line check in available to everyone and have a luggage drop off point at the airport?

Somewhere else in the announcement, it says that the scheme should serve as an incentive for people to limit their luggage, saving handling costs and fuel. You could turn that around to say that they want to deter people from taking lots of luggage and the drop off point wouldn't really contribute to that - maybe that's why not?

BTW - another short thread under SLF - http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=208042

25th Jan 2006, 11:52
Oh well that was a revolution then. :rolleyes:

spanishflea
25th Jan 2006, 12:03
Oh well that was a revolution then. :rolleyes:

Quite! All this has been done before by other carriers.

EI-CFC
25th Jan 2006, 12:31
Makes more sense for FR to do it then Flybe! Still, sad to see luggage charges come in (although I generally know how much luggage I'm bringing it wouldn't really effect me), but OLCI is a welcome development.

caaardiff
25th Jan 2006, 12:43
What happens when people turn up at the boarding gate with a rediculous sized bag that weighs more than me??
Boarding staff cant weigh the bag at the gate, Tagging bags at the gate is just going to take up more time, then getting the bag down to the hold.....etc etc.
Anyone know if this will apply to all ryanair stations?

ManchesterMan
25th Jan 2006, 13:45
Can I just congratulate the repliers(!)
to this thread on some very funny sarcasm
indeed......cheers!

michaelknight
25th Jan 2006, 13:54
At the end of the day, the only beneficiary will be FRs bank balance. Not Joe Public.

MK

Tom the Tenor
25th Jan 2006, 14:15
Some revolution, indeed! The solution is simple though. If you don't like Ryanair don't fly with 'em! However, if passengers are able to fit in and not have checked bags the going through of the system before a FR flight may get a tiny bit more bearable. However, that may be an incidental by the way as generating more cash for the shareholders is the main event. You can be sure of that premise!

Desert Diner
25th Jan 2006, 14:20
Pretty revolutionary allright: Charging you for you baggage,

neidin
25th Jan 2006, 14:32
Forgive me - but last time I looked Ryanair was a quoted company on the Stock Exchange. Not a Charity or some wasteful State owned airline which has gobbled billions over the years. The purpose of business is to make money.
Of course this a revolution in Europe. The first large scale deployment in Europe by an airline of online checkin. Anyone with half a brain, an internet connection and a journey of three nts or less will forget checked baggage. Within six months it will free up 100's of check in desks across Europe and allow Ryanair a massive platform for launching additional flights without all the hassle and costs of additional handling. It will reduce T/O times, increase pressure but reduce revenue for regional airports and give most passengers a really improved travelling experience.
Whine, carp and whinge all you want. Ryanair has done it again and broken the mould and rulebook. Sure within a few years it may be EURO 10 to EURO 20 per bag and some handling agents will be wiped out by this. But it will happen and it will work.

G-CPTN
25th Jan 2006, 15:04
£2.50 per item

PeetD
25th Jan 2006, 15:09
from Bloomberg...
O'Leary said at the news conference that Ryanair is preparing
to open new bases and is in "detailed talks'' with eight European
airports, "two of which are in Poland.'' He also said that this
year passengers will be able to use their mobile phones on Ryanair
planes, with the airline taking a portion of "roaming'' charges.
The company is researching technology that would permit the airline
to add gambling.
Mobile phones? that's finished them for me then. it was bad enough onboard already.:yuk:

mary_hinge
25th Jan 2006, 15:14
Ahh but also

From the 16th March, Ryanair will introduce a number of key service improvements for all passengers including (1) all Ryanair’s fares will be reduced by 9% (£2.50 or €3.50), (2) all passengers travelling with hand luggage and in possession of an EU passport will be able to check-in on the web at www.ryanair.com and by-pass all check-in and airport queues, (3) these passengers will also be given priority boarding which will also eliminate boarding gate queues as well,

Taken from http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=06&month=jan&story=gen-en-250106

Context out of.......

bear11
25th Jan 2006, 15:17
Revenue neutral, me arse. Waiting for the usual tiresome whingers to spit some more bile in the happy pursuit of putting RYR to trial in a web forum...

http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/0125/ryanair.html

Ryanair to charge for check-in luggage

January 25, 2006 14:54
Ryanair says that from March 16, all passengers travelling with check-in luggage will pay a fee of €3.50 per bag, per flight if booked in advance on its website or €7 per bag, per flight if presented unbooked at the airport.

The airline also said that all passengers travelling with hand luggage and with an EU passport will be able to check-in on the web and by-pass all check-in and airport queues. These passengers will also be given priority boarding which will eliminate boarding-gate queues as well. Ryanair also said today that it is increasing each passenger's luggage allowance from the current 25kgs to 30kgs, comprising 10ksg in carry-on and 20kgs in check-in luggage. It said this would 'substantially reduce' excess baggage fees.

Ryanair added that from March 16 it will reduce all its fares by 9%. 'As a result of these changes, those 25% of Ryanair's passengers who presently travel with just hand luggage will avail of lower fares, will avoid the inconvenience of check-in or boarding gate queues and will no longer cross subsidise those passengers travelling with checked-in luggage,' the airline said. Ryanair said the 9% across the board reduction in its air fares will make these changes 'revenue neutral' for the airline. It estimates that the reduction in ticket revenues and excess baggage fees will cost it over £100m a year. However it adds that the lower fares will stimulate further traffic growth.

Ryanair says its new initiatives will significantly reduce airport and handling costs. 'We believe that between 40% to 50% of passengers will quickly switch to our new web check-in priority boarding service. This will allow Ryanair to reduce the number of check-in desks, baggage hall and other handling facilities we rent at major airports,' it said.

The moves will also significantly reduce the number of check-in and baggage handling staff, but Ryanair said it expects few reductions in staffing numbers in these areas as existing numbers will be required to handle its expanding services.

* Ryanair's CEO Michael O'Leary also said today that it expected yields to fall this quarter and that high crude oil prices might prevent it from hedging on fuel. He said that yields were expected to fall 5-10% in the current quarter which finishes at the end of March.
Regarding hedging and current crude oil prices, O'Leary said: 'If it stays up there, we will remain unhedged in the summer.' Ryanair said last month it was sticking to forecasts for a 10% rise in net profit for the year to the end of March. Ryanair shares were up 15 cent to €7.87 in Dublin this afternoon.

spanishflea
25th Jan 2006, 15:28
Mobile phones? that's finished them for me then. it was bad enough onboard already.:yuk:

Don't worry, you'll be able to go back with them this time next year, by that time the technology will be on practically every European aircraft. :}

PAXboy
25th Jan 2006, 15:35
Another very smart move. Only two days ago, in another forum, I had suggested that he woul dmove to lower the permitted weight for check-in bags to Zero and then charge for every Kilo. But this is a much faster way to get more money in as it appears to be better for the pax. It goes without saying that, everything stated by FR in their press releases - outside of the hard facts - must always be ignored. :rolleyes:

Few Cloudy
25th Jan 2006, 15:51
This time the others thought of it first...

RichT
25th Jan 2006, 16:52
Great so the italians will have 80kg carry on bags instead of the usual 40

alangirvan
25th Jan 2006, 19:40
Is it better to give people a weight limit for their hand luggage, or do it on dimensions? Will people try to get everything for a 7 day holiday into the over head locker?

Heffer
25th Jan 2006, 20:02
Encouraging pax to bring as much baggage into the a/c cabin as possible can hardly be great news. In the event of an incident, this would surely have a huge impact on cabin evacuation and personal injury on impact. Infact this topic was cited in the Kegworth accident report:

"The certification requirements for cabin stowage bins, and other items of cabin mass, should be modified to ensure the retention of these items of fuselage structure when subjected to dynamic crash pulses substantially beyond static load factors currently required.

The CAA consider improving the airworthiness requirements for public transport aircraft to require some form of latching to be fitted to overhead to stowage bins and this should also apply to new stowage bins fitted to existing aircraft".

Instead Ryanair go and at least double the mass of baggage in the cabin! Profit before safety?

AlanM
25th Jan 2006, 20:39
BBC report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4647906.stm

Those carrying only hand luggage will not face the charge
Low-cost airline Ryanair is to begin charging passengers extra for checking in their baggage before flights.

The Dublin-based carrier said people with bags and cases would be charged £2.50 (3.50 euros) for every item of luggage checked in from 16 March.

Ryanair said it was introducing the charge in an effort to reduce airport handling costs.

The airline said passengers carrying only hand luggage would avoid the extra fee and be able to check in online.

Europe's biggest no-frills airline said it hoped to encourage more people to travel on its flights with just hand luggage.

It said the move would reduce overall ticket prices for passengers not checking in luggage by about 9%.

"We have to be more creative as to how we tackle costs," said Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary.

Reducing airport and handling costs would also save Ryanair more than £20m over the current financial year, the company said.

That should make finding space in the overhead lockers fun......

AlexEvans
25th Jan 2006, 20:52
That should make finding space in the overhead lockers fun......

I agree. I use the low cost airlines regularly and I always try to avoid checking in luggage, because of the inevitable wait at the other end and the possibility of it being lost. Space is at a premium already.

With the luggage fee exceeding the ticket price, space in the overheads is going to be even harder to find. Perhaps people like me will end up stowing their luggage now, to avoid the hassle of finding space in the overheads, or hiding their carry on luggage under the seat in front (where it isn't supposed to be).

Faire d'income
25th Jan 2006, 21:01
If I said this was Mr O'Leary doing what he does best namely playing the market like a fiddle then I might get slated for being an FR basher.

There is nobody in the business who can talk up a share price as much without actually saying much. I mean that as a compliment.

However Fr made about €35m last year on excess baggage. That was not what was charged to pax as desk staff got a cut as an incentive. What seems to be happening now is that MOL is cutting out the middle man, his staff.

This will probably make money as he says, who am I to doubt his figures. But he may find himself looking for more than new pilots. ( Just an opinion not a bash. )

Sky_Captain
25th Jan 2006, 21:23
With all that extra space there bound to have extra room in the holds, maybe O'Leary has realised there's money to be made in cargo :ooh:

Sure within a few years it may be EURO 10 to EURO 20 per bag and some handling agents will be wiped out by this
Or maybe we'll all get lucky and this will backfire on Ryanair when people don't want to have to pay extra for taking luggage with you. From the way I hear it, with other airlines, when you buy a ticket with them your baggage allowance is already included in the price of your ticket :eek: Wow great idea, they reduced the fare by €3.50 just so they can charge me €3.50 to take a bag with me, yeah, really broken the mould on that one :rolleyes:

S.C.

DrKev
25th Jan 2006, 21:33
So "all Ryanair’s fares will be reduced by 9% (£2.50 or €3.50)" and this a "9% across the board reduction". Where does this figure of €3.50 come from? Is that supposed to be an average reduction (implying an average fare of about €39)? Or is it a number pulled out of the air to match the extra hold baggage charge?

Also on the Ryanair website, MOL is quoted as saying "We will require fewer and less expensive airport facilities such as airport check-in and baggage hall facilities."

How the heck is that supposed to work? Perhaps there will be fewer check-in desks required but if half the passengers have luggage in the hold, wont the same baggage facilities will be required? Besides, will there really be a reduction in the amount of checked luggage?

Will they start weighing hand luggage and charging for extra weight over the 10kg limit? If people do start loading their hand baggage and the amount in the hold drops, could this cause an operational problem if they don't have a good estimate of the weight on board the aircraft?

Irish Steve
25th Jan 2006, 21:33
Does this new on line check in system mean that the security staff at the entrance to airside are now going to have to check that the passenger has a valid boarding card and a photo ID that matches the name? If so, then that's a new and seriously slow task that they don't do at the moment, and it's bad enough getting through the security checks as it is now, without adding another level of check and accompanying delay.

If they're not going to be checking to that level, then I can see a scenario where I could get to make some useful money on occasions, it's not going to be hard to produce a piece of paper that to all intents and purposes looks exactly like a boarding pass, head in to Duty Free, get whatever I want, and leave shortly after via the arrivals hall, and head to the nearest place that will give me the best return on the investment:E :E .

Then of course, there's the other issue, the potential to compromise airside security. No, I shouldn't be able to get out on to the ramp, ( but thinking it through a little, hold that thought till later in the thread) but if I can only get airside, when I'm not really supposed to be able to, that in itself presents some "interesting" challenges that appear not to have been thought through to the extent that I would have expected them to have been.

To produce a boarding card when the only source for them was a dot matrix printer at checkin ( or maybe a newer printer, but using card that's not that easy to duplicate) would not have been so easy, but if they're being produced on ANY printer, using ANY paper, at ANY computer in the world, that's just made it a lot easier to abuse the system without too much trouble at all.

The next interesting scenario will be when there's a few extra people on the aircraft, and they find that there's 2 boarding cards sequence number X. Which was the correct one?

An even more worrying scenario would be 2 cards sequence number X, and the right number of passengers on the aircraft. Where did the "spare" passenger go?

Alarmist? Maybe, that's what comes of spending several years working at an airport and having a good understanding of how the sytems work at present. This concept might be good for FR's bottom line, but it sure as :mad: :mad: isn't for the airports and the security services at those airports!!!!!

PAXboy
25th Jan 2006, 21:43
This is now the third thread in the third forum about this. :hmm:

Just remember that it does not matter a jot what the press release says, FR will make more moeny out of it and good luck to them. Good riddance too, for that matter, but you have to admire them.

fly bhoy
25th Jan 2006, 23:05
I may be wrong but do FlyBe not charge for luggage now as well??

FB:ok:

spanishflea
26th Jan 2006, 06:47
I may be wrong but do FlyBe not charge for luggage now as well??
FB:ok:

Yes they do, hence the claims that this is hardly revolutionary.

bacardi walla
26th Jan 2006, 07:39
Perfect timing for this announcement I guess. Parked a/c due to no crews to fly them and then an announcement about hold luggage and terminal costs to stray people away from what is a major problem, whether they admit it or not.

If the current problem persists, and I suspect it will in some form, then everything else will be meaningless. There won't be any baggage going on parked a/c :confused:

Mr A Tis
26th Jan 2006, 08:04
I agree with the remarks from Heffer regarding cabin safety.
Can the B738 carry 180 odd trolley cases in the overhead bins weighing 10Kgs each??
The less bags in the cabin the better in my view:ooh:

phil_2405
26th Jan 2006, 09:02
Does this new on line check in system mean that the security staff at the entrance to airside are now going to have to check that the passenger has a valid boarding card and a photo ID that matches the name? If so, then that's a new and seriously slow task that they don't do at the moment, and it's bad enough getting through the security checks as it is now, without adding another level of check and accompanying delay.

If they're not going to be checking to that level, then I can see a scenario where I could get to make some useful money on occasions, it's not going to be hard to produce a piece of paper that to all intents and purposes looks exactly like a boarding pass, head in to Duty Free, get whatever I want, and leave shortly after via the arrivals hall, and head to the nearest place that will give me the best return on the investment:E :E .

Then of course, there's the other issue, the potential to compromise airside security. No, I shouldn't be able to get out on to the ramp, ( but thinking it through a little, hold that thought till later in the thread) but if I can only get airside, when I'm not really supposed to be able to, that in itself presents some "interesting" challenges that appear not to have been thought through to the extent that I would have expected them to have been.

To produce a boarding card when the only source for them was a dot matrix printer at checkin ( or maybe a newer printer, but using card that's not that easy to duplicate) would not have been so easy, but if they're being produced on ANY printer, using ANY paper, at ANY computer in the world, that's just made it a lot easier to abuse the system without too much trouble at all.

The next interesting scenario will be when there's a few extra people on the aircraft, and they find that there's 2 boarding cards sequence number X. Which was the correct one?

An even more worrying scenario would be 2 cards sequence number X, and the right number of passengers on the aircraft. Where did the "spare" passenger go?

Alarmist? Maybe, that's what comes of spending several years working at an airport and having a good understanding of how the sytems work at present. This concept might be good for FR's bottom line, but it sure as :mad: :mad: isn't for the airports and the security services at those airports!!!!!

Each home printed boarding card will have a unique barcode which will be scanned at the security search point to ensure it is a valid boarding card and ok for a flight from that airport on that date etc. I'm sure they have thought of every angle and the process has already been approved by the DfT in the UK.

Hial Flyer
26th Jan 2006, 09:08
You can already print your own boarding pass at home when flying with BA. They scan it at security to confirm its validity.

BALIX
26th Jan 2006, 09:54
You can already print your own boarding pass at home when flying with BA. They scan it at security to confirm its validity.

Yeah, and it works a treat. But BA don't insist on picture ID, so how this is going to fit into the Ryanair system remains to be seen.

Incidentally, all fares are going to be £2.50 less? So when I book a 10p fare and travel with hand baggage only, the nice hostie is going to come to my seat and give me £2.40? Tell you what, I'll settle for a couple of tubs of Pringles :ok:

Sikpupi
26th Jan 2006, 11:47
Not many FR airports have such electronic Boarding Pass Scanners..... Can't see them getting them either if the costs knowing the costs of same. So who will check the new Boarding CArds for all the correect details......Security Staff at Friskim????? Are they going to check passports????? Are they going to argue with pax and advise that the name is not matching and insist on them going back to check-in for name change and appropriate fee???

The bottleneck here will just escalate with more staff needed to deal with more bags etc. What about Security Questions...."did u pack it yourself / have u been asked to carry anthing on behalf of a 3rd party" etc????

PAx will no longer arrive -2 hrs for flight and if all adopt the policy of arriving -1 hrs then security queues will build up again and the airports will get the blame for the shambles!!!

20 minute turnarounds~?????? It will take 15 mins to clear the plane on arrival as everyone pull and drags bags from overhead lockers!!! No way will they make 20 mins turnarounds...this is where it will hurt MOL and airports can expect a rainforest of Memos about that!!!

phil_2405
26th Jan 2006, 20:28
Not many FR airports have such electronic Boarding Pass Scanners..... Can't see them getting them either if the costs knowing the costs of same. So who will check the new Boarding CArds for all the correect details......Security Staff at Friskim????? Are they going to check passports????? Are they going to argue with pax and advise that the name is not matching and insist on them going back to check-in for name change and appropriate fee???
The bottleneck here will just escalate with more staff needed to deal with more bags etc. What about Security Questions...."did u pack it yourself / have u been asked to carry anthing on behalf of a 3rd party" etc????
PAx will no longer arrive -2 hrs for flight and if all adopt the policy of arriving -1 hrs then security queues will build up again and the airports will get the blame for the shambles!!!
20 minute turnarounds~?????? It will take 15 mins to clear the plane on arrival as everyone pull and drags bags from overhead lockers!!! No way will they make 20 mins turnarounds...this is where it will hurt MOL and airports can expect a rainforest of Memos about that!!!
As I understand it if an airport doesn't have boarding card scanners then you won't be able to use web check-in at that airport, I very much doubt airports will be allowed to manually check home printed boarding cards.
I believe security will only be checking the boarding cards, not if you have the correct ID. The ID check will be done at the gate, if you don't have the correct/valid ID then you will be offloaded from that flight and as you have no hold luggage I guess this shouldn't cause too much bother.
Do they still need to ask the security baggage questions if you haven't got hold luggage? Even if you do, I suspect you will answer 'yes' or 'no' while checking in online.

liquid sunshine
26th Jan 2006, 22:30
Maybe I am just showing my age or I am missing the point but most of what has been discussed spells disaster for the poor hard working ground staff at the various airports.

1. OLCI is all very well but is the whole point of CHECK IN so that the airline know who has actually reported at the airport for the flight. It probably works for some carriers where a small number of pax use OLCI. However, if you are now talking about the majority of pax on the flight using OLCI how the hell are you supposed to know who you are waiting for if you don't actually know how many people have physically arrived at the airport. Do you start wielding the off-load axe at -30, or whenever, and in the process end up offloading a substantial number of pax who may well be in the airport resulting in many disgruntled pax?

2. A 20 min turn round with all this cabin baggage lark is just never going to happen. it has obviously been dreamt up by someone who has never been near an airport in a professional capacity in their life. After you have spent several minutes checking/arguing that all cabin baggage is within/outwith the limits......

Ding Ding Round 2 .... all those. and i suspect there may well be quite a few, will then be told that their luggage must go in the hold. After a protracted argument about this are the gate staff then expected to spend even more time collecting charges?

and all this is before you take into account that the flight is already delayed because a passenger on the inbound sector suffered a fractured skull from all the extra cabin baggage falling out and had to be collected from the a/c by ambulance.

Sounds like a sound operational strategy to me...... NOT:{ :{

Lee-a-Roady Moor
26th Jan 2006, 23:00
What about the 60% or so of FR pax who might carry a wash kit, which could contain a nail clippers or scissors? Seen as a potential safety issue...

When will it occur that a wash kit may or may not be acceptable as on board luggage? If not acceptable, will it then have to be placed in the hold at the last minute - with a delay whilst the €3.50 becomes payable at the gate?

It's all a con for pax. The .99c flight which includes hold luggage of 15kg is now reduced to ~.90c plus an additional charge of €3.50 per bag. Whats that, an overall increase of approximately 350%(!) Well, at least the MOL & the shareholders should be happy.

Will it work though? IMO, it's just pushed the limit too far. It has presumably been thrashed out in the great envions and so will be made to work, but....

tom de luxe
27th Jan 2006, 12:29
with a delay whilst the €3.50 becomes payable at the gate?
"That'll be € 7.00, thank you very much, you didn't register your hold bagage in advance."
:E

Lee-a-Roady Moor
29th Jan 2006, 22:58
"That'll be € 7.00, thank you very much, you didn't register your hold bagage in advance."
:E

Ah... True of course.... ;)

Fast becoming the Chavs & Chavettes airline of choice.

Avoid luggage charges! It's only a weekend away. No need to bring that change of clothes or wash bag..! Bars of soap? Nah, only adds to me weight allowance, guv!

Luckily those leather seats should be easier to clean...:ugh: