PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a pilot engineer

Heli-kiwi
24th Jan 2006, 07:22
I'm about 2-3 months away from completing my CPL (heli) and my AMELs too. Is there anybody out there who has done this in the past and could share a few words of advice for starting out on the path to flying in Canada or any other commonwealth country?
I have about 8 years engineering including component Ohaul, Helicopters, big bird Structures, restoration and fabrication work, Frigate flight deck operations and military training.
I set out with the intention of using the engineering experience to hopefully give me something more to offer a prospective employer than just 160 hours in an underpowered Robbie alpha, Now I am almost ready to go and the Canadian residency papertrail has just begun.
Any suggestions from the experienced amongst you would help me have a more realistic approach to the most important step of all.

Cheers :ok:

Fun Police
24th Jan 2006, 13:09
with your engineering experience, you will have little trouble finding work in canada. your flying experience, however, will likely get you only ferry flights and/or test flights until your hours build up.
i'm not sure what kinds of machines you have on your licence but i'd suggest trying to get on with VIH as they are a good outfit with lots of different types that are well looked after. and they pay well, too.