PDA

View Full Version : Trianing Time

YoungAndHopefull
23rd Jan 2006, 21:21
For you qualified pilots can i ask how long it took you to get your PPL and Commercial licences?
(PS sorry dont bite my head off, i'm just considering the option and weighting up the pro's and cons, i've always wanted to be a pilot)

mcgoo
23rd Jan 2006, 21:41
hi, i did my ppl in 3 weeks and am just doing atpl ground school now which may take me a while as i'm working full time as well, good luck!

YYZ
24th Jan 2006, 16:20
PPL, Night & ATPLs done part time followed by hour building CPL/IR & MCC full time took just over three years...

YYZ

Happy Wanderer
24th Jan 2006, 22:23
Couple of quick Qs for the last two guys (and any others please!). . .

- how easy is it to do the 14 courses + exams (presumably by distance learning) AND fit it around the day job? How many hours per day/week do you spend studying on average?

- what's the £ cost? Who do you approach for the DL materials? A FTO?

Many thanks,

HW

Aviator LGB
25th Jan 2006, 05:20
Respect to all the guys who are doing and have done the JAR stuff.

I went the FAA route and was commercial in 3 months. Bloody hard work though and averaged 5 hours a day for 7weeks straight. In that 7 weeks I did my IR, single engine CPL and Mutil CPL.

Am now instructor, and right seat Citation, I have 900 hrs.

Fast is possible and cheap but only if you go the FAA route. Depends where you want to live and work. For some the JAA route is the only way, this tends to be more expensive and takes a bit longer.

Good Luck, there's nothing like it!!!

:ok:

Happy Wanderer
25th Jan 2006, 09:29
A LGB,

What 'conversion' training do you have to do to get your FAA licences JAR-compatible (I'm sure all this stuff is on the CAA website somewhere, but anyway. . .)?

Where did you learn in the States?

Cheers,

HW

YYZ
25th Jan 2006, 18:43
It was Bristol for me on the written’s, part time as said and I found it tough going, first Mod was harder for me as it was un-chartered so I didn't know what to expect, that’s probably why Mod2 was allot quicker?
I spent a minimum of 2-3 hours mon-fri and one full day on the weekend followed by a day to myself.

It's hard but obviously manageable, costs are as on BGS website, plus accommodation and exam fees.

Good Luck
YYZ

Lord Flashheart
25th Jan 2006, 20:07
Hey YoungAndHopefull.

How long is a piece of string? There are so many factors involved. Will you be full time the whole way, part time for some or all of it? The weather might hold you back weeks if not months over the whole course etc.

As an estimation however i would say zero hours to frozen ATPL cannot be done faster than 15 months full time training, be that modular or integrated. Distance learning and part time flying, 24 months plus perhaps.

These are estimations as every situation is different but hope it helps a little.

Best of luck.

combineharvester
25th Jan 2006, 20:40
As Flashy suggests, there are many factors involved but for the record
PPL: 6 months (In UK - timetabled University Program)
ATPL G/School: 7 months (Distance Learning)
Thats as far as i have currently got, hour building for CPL also completed alongside Groundschool Studies.
I think that is not bad going, especially with the English weather & all that..
Proper Job Young'un.