PDA

View Full Version : Taiwan and VSTOL

ORAC
23rd Jan 2006, 08:59
Taiwan plans to buy third-generation warplanes

Taipei: Taiwan plans to buy third-generation warplanes and upgrade its fleet of F-16s and Mirage 2000-5s to boost its defences against the China, a media report said Sunday.

"Our air force has drawn up the plan for third-generation warplanes, the most important feature is that they must be able to take off and land vertically," the China Times quoted Air Force Commander-in-Chief Liu Kui-li as saying. "If China attacks Taiwan, its first target will be Taiwan's airbases. So if our warplanes can take off and land vertically, it can reduce their chance of being destroyed," he said.

Liu said the Taiwan Air Force "really wants" the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) but the US had not agreed to sell them to Taiwan..... "So we maintain an open attitude, that is, so long as the jets can take off and land vertically, they can be our third-generation warplanes. They do not necessarily have to be US jets," the daily quoted Liu as saying.......

Taiwan ordered 150 F-16s and 60 Mirage 2000-5s in 1992. Their service life can last for another 15-20 years but the air force is planning to deploy third-generation warplanes by 2020.

To fill in the gap between now and the deployment of third-generation warplanes, Taiwan hopes to buy second-hand F-15s from the US Air Force, Defence Minister Lee Jye said Thurday. "We made the request to the US last year, but the US has not approved it," he told reporters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I give up. Apart from the JSF, name me another 3rd generation VSTOL aircraft that will be in production in the 2020s........

A-FLOOR
23rd Jan 2006, 09:17
Well, with some modifications to their highway system I guess they could get a fleet of Saab Gripens. One of the design requirements of this jet was the ability to be able to make sorties from cleared stretches of highway. Not exactly VSTOL, but the idea has some merit.

Postman Plod
23rd Jan 2006, 11:31
Maybe I'm just being cynical, but isn't that just giving the Chinese a timeframe in which to attack - attack before development and delviery of VTOL (not even asking for Short Take Off!) aircraft?

Not that I'd guess the Taiwan Air Force would really stand much of a chance anyway....!

Biggus
23rd Jan 2006, 13:31
Perhaps WEBF could let them know where they could get some second hand SHARs ..............................

John Farley
23rd Jan 2006, 17:44
I wonder if Mr Yak will put in a bid offering a bunch of 141s

Everybody needs the benefits of competition

Data-Lynx
23rd Jan 2006, 17:54
John. We'll have WEBF on us faster than the Freestyle beat the Harrier time to height record.
http://www.vstol.org/wheel/images/VSTOLWheel/pics/35.jpg