PDA

View Full Version : CAA: Hazardous Organization

boomarang
23rd Jan 2006, 06:58
The CAA has a strange way of getting into the news. The Star reports:

Ex - Scorpion sought over R110 000 theft -January 23, 2006

By Shaun Smillie

The former chief financial officer of the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa is on the run.

By last night police, who have issued a warrant of arrest, had yet to apprehend Bridget Mohlala, who is accused of stealing R110 000 from a safe in Icasa's offices.

According to police spokesperson Senior Superintendent Mary Martins-Engelbrecht, her arrest was imminent. "The investigating officer told me on Friday that he was gathering information regarding her whereabouts," Martins-Engelbrecht said last night.

Mohlala, who worked for the Scorpions before joining Icasa, is the police's prime suspect in the theft of R110 000.

The money, which went missing from a safe in the communication regulator's Joburg offices, had apparently been raised from the sale of second-hand computers.

An official at Icasa, who wanted to remain nameless, said the money was placed in a safe in early September. The money disappeared but was reported to police and the Icasa council only about a month later.

The then-chief executive of Icasa, Jackie Manche, apparently ordered a hushed internal probe, which - according to the Icasa official - was rushed and later found to be "full of holes".

City Press newspaper reported yesterday that Manche and Mohlala were close friends.

A second investigation was then ordered by the Icasa board.

"It became apparent that the matter had to be reported to the police," said the Icasa official. The investigation allegedly discovered that Mohlala had access to both keys needed to open the safe, but that these keys were not secured properly. The keys were apparently left in Mohlala's personal assistant's drawer in an open-plan office.

Mohlala now works for the Auditor-General's office, where she is a business executive in charge of operations and transaction management.

Manche was suspended by Icasa on November 24 last year. One of the alleged reasons is that she did not report the theft immediately to the Icasa council.

If I m not mistaken, Ms B Mohlala is a member of the CAA Board and Chairperson of the Board's Finance Committee!:sad:

Now that comes after
* The recent suspension of the GM Corporate Services, Terrance Naidoo
* The suspension of the HR Manager, disciplinary proceedings still underway.
* The suspension and firing of the legal manager, KC Marobela (The CAA lost that one at the CCMA and paid - your & my money!)
* The suspension and firing of the IT manager, Ancil Lee (The CAA lost that at the CCMA and due to pay big bucks again)
* The suspension without any action against the IT officer, Brandon Davids who finally resigned and went off to work overseas.
* The suspension and firing of the Senior Communications Manager, Trevor Davids
* The suspension, disciplinary action and non-renewal of ole Trevor's contract a few years ago (here there's quite a bit of legal backlash on that one too - Seems CAA has budgeted some R2m in case they loose this one too)
* disciplinary action and eventual resignation of Murad Ismail

and the list goes on and on.

Very hazardous to associate yourself with this organization, I'd say.;)

alwaysinverted
23rd Jan 2006, 07:51
Boomerang..... I hear you!

Most black employees at the SACAA are seriously on the "gravy train" and cannot perform their duties efficiently. The SACAA, as we know, are going to the dogs my man!:{

The only dude that could control that place was "ol Trev", and I think that we should petition the Minister to get him back there.

Apparently there's going to be more revealed pretty soon. :confused:

birdlady
23rd Jan 2006, 14:03
I was at the CAA last week writting my exams. Over the space of the few days I saw some dodgy looking men removing computers. Could this have something to do with it????????:E :E :E

MysticFlyer
24th Jan 2006, 06:23
Well, OPS NML seems to have enough GEN on your fellow mis-appropriators, to mislead an investigation board into their own little scandals.

"Resigned pending investigation" or even "suspended" carries no weight in appointing said person onto the next board, and so the vicious circle continues, all towards empowerment of the PDI's.

Should you jail all of these candidates, you will stop this "wealth" from going around. Finding suitable candidates to fill this vacuum takes time....

In this system, someone always feels, well, left out, and thus always spills the beans, because the money didn't go around as it should have, because, greed was initially the main reason behind it.

This whole system is a house built on cards.

"Quick, gag the troops, the press, the people.....gag everyone!" and "...send in the black Jetta's!"
"Ah..., sir. There is none....they got stolen":cool:

reptile
25th Jan 2006, 19:42
MF....don't joke about the black jetta's.....they almost got me!

MysticFlyer
26th Jan 2006, 10:28
Almost being the imperative word here! Glad you side-stepped and jinxed, got worried about you for a while...but the work has to be done.

They can not quieten down everybody. Period. They may try dubious tactics to threaten some, but in the long run....:E

The Aston is always tanked and ready for some fun!;)