PDA

View Full Version : Which Headset Should I Buy?

23rd Jan 2006, 06:32
Hi there,

Apologies in advance if this thread is in the wrong section or I have repeated a subject already discussed.

I'm relatively new to this forum and new to flying but wanted to ask some advice on buying equipment. My flying instructor advised me if there's one piece of invaluable equipment to invest in, it's a headset. (Incidentally, he or the AeroClub isn't trying to sell me one)!

I'm learning in a C152, (manuf. 1985 if that helps you understand how noisy/quiet it might be?!) and wondered what your opinions were. I guess outside noise cancellation, comfort and durability would be my main criteria. He mentioned gel/foam ear seals (said the former was more comfortable, but does it last as long?) and that here in Oz headsets start around $600AUS and can reach approx $2000AUS! My budget would limit me to the $600-$800 range I'm guessing. David Clarke headsets appear to be a popular choice here, are they better or worse than other manufacturers?

If any of you have an opinion for a budding student pilot, I'd greatly appreciate your comments.

Happy flying.... 1972.

His dudeness
23rd Jan 2006, 07:55
1972 welcome and enjoy the most exciting time youŽll ever have in aviation - the PPL time!

If your planning to stay in a 152 or 172 or 182 IŽd buy a Sennheiser, ANR. According to my experience (used a HMEC200 for more than 8 years in Piston and Turboprop A/C) ANR works well in these cages, but it swallows batteries. So get rechargeable batteries...

If youŽre "only" doing your education in pistons, go for a simple DC or Sennheiser or Peltor. Buy a used one and get new earpads and a sanitizing spray. Cheapest way IMO.

Keep the blue side up !

redsnail
23rd Jan 2006, 09:46
Whilst flogging around the great Aussie bush in the trusty C207s and Islanders I protected my delicate ears with a sturdy set of DCs. THey weren't ANR, I couldn't afford that so I used a pair of ear plugs under the ear pieces. Worked a treat and didn't have to worry about batteries. DC-10-20's.

The DCs withstood being kicked, dropped and stood on and performed flawlessly for well over 10 years. I used them all the time in the various turboprops I flew too. Temps ranging from +45 deg C to whatever it was in the Shed over the English Channel in winter.

Only reason why I am not using them now is that they look funny in a lil jet. Since my paypacket can now stretch to it, I shouted myself a nice pair of Sennheiser KA 25S. Nice.

Whatever you do, buy the best you can afford. Hearing loss is something you cannot get back.

26th Jan 2006, 02:16
Thanks dude and snail. All your helpful advice has been taken on board. Seems like you both have very similar opinions, which certainly has helped me reduce the options.

I don't want to spend money and find out it's been a waste, which is why I came here to ask the experts.

As for which planes I'd like to fly, I guess like anyone new to this game, in the long-run it's 'as many as I'm able to learn', but for now it's whatever the budget allows.

Hardest part of it all I reckon (after only my 'Effects Of Controls' lesson) is to know what I'd like to fly in ultimately; there's almost too many options and it feels like it's too early to start pinning anything down.

For now, the only thing I REALLY know is once I've done the basics, I'd like to do some aerobatic training. Not because I want to show off, but because I saw a flying show on TV where several pilots agreed that all flyers should do some aerobatics to allow themselves more understanding of safety and the handling of an aircraft, should the unexpected happen. They all agreed it made you a more aware, safe, and competent pilot if you knew a little about aerobatics, and how you're more likely to be able to get yourself out of trouble should the **** hit the fan!

A pilot who took me up as a passenger to do some aerobatics in a Tiger Moth said much the same thing, so I guess all I could say maybe in the short term, I'd be flying a C152 and a C152 aerobat?

All in all, I just want to be a SAFE pilot, given some of the things you hear!

Thanks again... 1972.

Defenestrator
26th Jan 2006, 03:17
Reddo hit the nail on the head buddy. H-10-20's are the business. I used H-10-13.4's for years and was ok with them until I tried a mates 10-20's. The later set left the 13.4's for dead. Durable light and more than anything, comfortable. Yeah they are a bit pricey but you're gonna have them for a long time. Don't be afraid to change the gel ear seals from time to time. Good luck with your training.:ok:

27th Jan 2006, 03:09
Thanks defenestrator.

Okay, I'm not trying to be a prick here, but I'm a tad in the dark still!

DC h10-20's, or DC h20-10's?

If you're not sure, 10-20's have metal band, 20-10's have plastic-looking, all composite one, and also the ears look slightly more square-shaped on the 20-10's.

20-10's are slightly more expensive but rated to -22db, as opposed to -24db for the 10-20's.

Just want to get your recommendation right. Ta!

PS. Does this noise rating mean there's really good noise reduction, or will I still need to wear earplugs? I don't fancy the ear-plugs, as my hearing ain't the best anyways, and tend to really hurt my ears, even the soft ones. Does this mean I have to spend more and have batteries swallow power to reduce noise more?

In addition, I see these are both around $600AUS, whereas some go up to $1250!!!! I don't want to spend this much cash but why do some get SO expensive? Pls adv. Cheers!

Defenestrator
28th Jan 2006, 01:37
http://www.davidclark.com/HeadsetPgs/StandardHeadset.html

10.20's.

I got mine through the place at Bankstown that sells Citation Jets. If you have a mate that works in the industry you may be able to get them through his employer for a very good discount. If you can afford it get the ones that have the noise attenuating fitted. If you don't it's no drama as you can buy an after market kit from David Clarke and fit it yourself when you have a bit more funds.

Good Luck
D:ok:

Keep it straight
28th Jan 2006, 09:35
i got the h 10-13.4. with the gel earseals. really like them. but never tryed a headset with ANR.

glider
28th Jan 2006, 18:02
When I started my education I bought a pair of Telex Echelon, the cheapest yet still functioning headsets I could find. Worked like a charm, and realatively light as well. However, now flying a noisier turboprop I felt the need for a pair of ANR. A little bit scared by all reports of flightcrews having their medical revoked due to hearing problems, I decided to go for one of the most quiet ones. Now happily flying around with Telex Stratus 50-D. Not the smallest (quite the contrary!), but without a doubt one of the most comfortable and quiet ones I could find.

Cheers

effortless
28th Jan 2006, 18:42
If it means anything to you, DCs are very robust. I saw a pair run over by a C152. They had to be straightened out but they still worked.

westhawk
29th Jan 2006, 09:09
I still love my trusty old DCs (H10-13.4s) that I have had for the past ten years. No problems at all. I never would have bought them had I not lost my -20s that I had been using the previous 5 years. I wear the current pair while flying the very noisy cockpit jet I currently operate. No batteries or extra controls to worry about and no issues with the intercom. ATC never need to ask me to "say again?" Very happy indeed.

Best,

Westhawk

3rd Feb 2006, 13:56
Well, I plummed for the perennially popular 13.4's today. The fact they came highly recommended by many ppruners was a contributing factor, but most importantly they were the most comfortable when wrapped around my fugly noggin!

If anyone in Perth wants a recommendation of where to buy headsets AND get a very helpful, honest opinion, (if this is allowed here), make a beeline for 'Western Airmotive' at Jandakot. First class service. No doubt I'm just another person to be added to their very long list of satisfied customers.

Mucho gracias to all you helpful Ppruners!

24th Feb 2006, 06:26
Have since flown with my new 13.4's (same as the FI as it happens) and they're perfect. Pin sharp, good noise reduction and so comfortable I forgot all about them being on my head. Which meant for the first time I could concentrate purely on the flying - best lesson yet. Big difference in volume wearing my new thin Gay-Bans too, though I didn't go for those filthy-looking old-skool Aviators! :yuk:

PS. Didn't experience any 'clamping' effect as some people had warned about and got no headaches at all but obviously all people's noggins are shaped different and comfort levels are each to their own. I'd recommend 13.4's to others. T'ra.

femaleWannabe
19th Jul 2006, 20:32
I'm trying to decide between david clark h10-13.4s and h20-10s... there's not much difference in price so I'm wondering if anyone has tried both and can compare?

max.aret
20th Jul 2006, 09:42
For loud prop driven aircrafts I'd take a Flightcom Denali ANR (I or II) in blue, for jets a Sennheiser HMEC 45-KAP (plug powered). I own both of them and there is nothing I can complain about.
First, I'd try to get a used headset on eBay - since they are not very popular items, they are really, really cheap. Second, I'd import one from the US - even with shipping and import taxes they are cheaper than at home (in my case: Germany).

qeduve
20th Jul 2006, 11:11
Another vote for Sennheiser. (I've found all DCs uncomfortable after about an hours flying.)

My company use the HME110 (closed cup, non ANR) in the light jets we fly - too much background noise attenuation in a jet, but comfortable and great quality audio too.

In preference I use my own HMEC-25-KA ANR Headset, for both jet and (twin) piston flying because its lighter and my ears and head don't sweat as much. I tend not to use the ANR in the jet, but it can sometimes help with hearing poor quality transmissions. Incidentally, I found the ANR of the HMEC-25 to be better than that of one of the DC ANR models on an occasion I flew a BN Islander.

Also, another minor problem with the HMEC-25 is that it doesn't have a built in volume control. This will be a problem if you fly a/c with simple intercom/audio control panels, until you fit a plug in volume control on the headset plug. (The stereo version of this headset has an independent L/R volume control built in to the lead.)

If you want to get into aerobatics, I suspect the HMEC-25 would probably fall of your head quite regularly. Something to consider.

Lastly, Have a look at eBay for headsets - that's where I picked up my HMEC-25 for under £200. - Ironically from Germany, max.aret, albeit 2nd hand.

Boingy
24th Jul 2006, 14:07
Bose Aviation X...

worth every single penny, haven't stumped up the cash for my set as I'm still paying my ground studies off - however, on the few instances where I have had the pleasure to use them I have been stunned, and find my DC 13.4 absolute crap :(

The 13.4 is brilliant untill you try an Aviation X!

femaleWannabe
24th Jul 2006, 14:12
Whats a 13.4 with ANR like? I think they call it h10-13x and there's an h10-13xl as well... If I go for something with ANR, i'd like it to still be reasonably good when the batteries die on me mid flight!

LKMflyboy
26th Sep 2006, 15:33
has anyone tried the hmec 25 in an Embraer 145? Most people seem to wear DCs as the cockpit suffers from a lot of wind noise.

Was wondering how good the sound reduction is with the 25s compared to a DC say. I know sennheiser say they provide 11db of passsive and up to 15db of ANR...