PDA

View Full Version : Building more turbulence at Canberra.

Blip
23rd Jan 2006, 00:26
I flew through CBR the other day and noticed a new fence running rather close to the western edge of runway 17/35, north of taxiway Delta.

Looks like they're clearing the land for more building developement, perhaps not even related to aviation.

Seems to me when those westerlies blow there will be severe mechanical turbulence along most of the runway now, not just at the 35 threshold.

I know airport owners are entitled to make money from the land they have invested in, however it is an airport and purchased as one. Surely any developement that has real potential to make aircraft difficult to control at 0-50 ft above the runway surface should be discouraged!

CIA Stooge
23rd Jan 2006, 01:58
Most details of the work are on the airport website Blip - take a look at the 'Masterplan'

Blip
23rd Jan 2006, 02:48
Ah that's alright then. Sorry I was so impulsive with the keyboard. (He says sheepishly.):O

http://www.canberraairport.com.au/pdfs/211578-MP1_260112.PDF

t_cas
23rd Jan 2006, 03:28
DFO. I hope they make the car park big enough!:)

Yessman
31st Jan 2006, 19:05
Don't be surprised if, one day soon, runway 12/30 is decommissioned. The surface is FLICKED and in any case the owner isn't interested in GA. Lotsa land there waiting to be used to make money.

Sunfish
31st Jan 2006, 21:06
Just noticed more building works at Moorabbin to the East of 17/35. There is already some "interesting" turbulence if a Southeasterly is blowing and you are still using 17L, I wonder if it will get worse?

CIA Stooge
31st Jan 2006, 23:01
Don't be surprised if, one day soon, runway 12/30 is decommissioned. The surface is FLICKED and in any case the owner isn't interested in GA. Lotsa land there waiting to be used to make money.
He has to get the shopping mall finished first :-) ! Do you know something we don't? With a name like 'yessman' you'd fit right into the management structure at the airport :D