PDA

View Full Version : SAA voted Africa's best airline of the year

I.R.PIRATE
22nd Jan 2006, 12:23
Johannesburg - South African Airways (SAA) has snatched the coveted Best Airline to Africa Award for the 15th consecutive time at the Travel Weekly Globe Awards.
The SA flag carrier came up against top airlines such as British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Kenya Airways.

SAA said in a statement on Sunday the awards are voted for exclusively by travel agents based in the United Kingdom. Voters take into consideration service, convenience of the airline's flight schedule and product.

Also, in the United States this week, SAA was awarded Best Airline in Africa from Global Traveller Magazine.

SAA is the leading airline on the African continent with an extensive route network. The expanding number of African destinations operated by SAA is an objective of its Africa Growth Strategy.

SAA said it takes pride in the fact that it is recognised for what it has to offer and continues to meet customer expectations.

Some of the awards collected by SAA in 2005 include: Best African Airline from Diners Club Asata (Association of South African Travel Agents), Best Airline to Africa for 14th year running from annual Travel Weekly Globe Awards, Africa's Leading Airline at the 11th Annual World Travel Awards, 3.5 million passengers voted SAA's Cabin Crew the Best in Africa and Best Airline Based in Africa from the Official Airline Guide (OAG).

Exhaust Manifold
22nd Jan 2006, 13:01
I still say Kulula or 1time :ok: Find SAA's service kak and besides better looking hosties at 1time;)

George Tower
22nd Jan 2006, 13:27
Having been commuting to SA for a number of years I can honestly say that SAA are not the best. Personally with me it's BA every time. Consistently I get seats at a price that wont break the bank.
Just wondering though that if the award is voted for by travel agents, don't SAA bribe these people with more commission than other carriers? i.e. they're giving more and more tax payers money away to agents. So isn't it in the self interest of the people giving these award to give 'em this piece of meaningless rubbish? Better not bite the hand that feeds!
There is no doubt that from a business perspective Virgin/BA are in better shape. Never had any complaints re their service delivery either. "Best Airline to Africa" means nothing.

Spetsnaz
22nd Jan 2006, 13:56
SAA on the European route were the most friendly at one time, but I somehow nearly always found them more expensive than BA. Friendlliness has diminished and it's now a cattle truck where you feel paranoid about having things go missing.

flyboy2
22nd Jan 2006, 14:37
SAA best airline in Africa
22/01/2006 14:32 PM
http://www.fin24.co.za/articles/default/display_article.asp?Nav=ns&ArticleID=1518-24_1867281
Johannesburg - South African Airways (SAA) has snatched the coveted Best Airline to Africa Award for the 15th consecutive time at the Travel Weekly Globe Awards.
The SA flag carrier came up against top airlines such as British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Kenya Airways.
SAA said in a statement on Sunday the awards are voted for exclusively by travel agents based in the United Kingdom. Voters take into consideration service, convenience of the airline's flight schedule and product.
Also, in the United States this week, SAA was awarded Best Airline in Africa from Global Traveller Magazine.
SAA is the leading airline on the African continent with an extensive route network. The expanding number of African destinations operated by SAA is an objective of its Africa Growth Strategy.
SAA said it takes pride in the fact that it is recognised for what it has to offer and continues to meet customer expectations.
Some of the awards collected by SAA in 2005 include: Best African Airline from Diners Club Asata (Association of South African Travel Agents), Best Airline to Africa for 14th year running from annual Travel Weekly Globe Awards, Africa's Leading Airline at the 11th Annual World Travel Awards, 3.5 million passengers voted SAA's Cabin Crew the Best in Africa and Best Airline Based in Africa from the Official Airline Guide (OAG).

B Sousa
22nd Jan 2006, 15:52
Thats a no brainer, whos the competition??

REAL ORCA
22nd Jan 2006, 17:24
Congratulations SAA, now pay your fine!:p

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Jan 2006, 19:22
Is there an echo in here?:}

Deskjocky
23rd Jan 2006, 06:32
Well these travel agents must really like SAA if they have voted them better than BA and Virgin for 15 consecutive years? Dont think SAA really has the market power in the UK to "bribe " with extra commissions etc.

spice
23rd Jan 2006, 11:04
You have got to be kidding me ...... SAA? I think not, the service received on this airline is way below standard. The crew are unfriendly, unhelpful and downright rude. If I have a choice of airline it is definitely NOT SAA! Apologies to the pilots as there are some awesome guys and gals that fly for SAA, it is the management and organisation that sucks!

Ingwe
23rd Jan 2006, 11:08
Had much better flights on BA and KQ, can't think of last time had a good flight on SAA

Combustion
23rd Jan 2006, 11:54
SAA service stinks i give it to nation wide they have very good service on there flight to the UK.:ok:

Globaliser
23rd Jan 2006, 12:00
SAA said in a statement on Sunday the awards are voted for exclusively by travel agents based in the United Kingdom. Voters take into consideration service, convenience of the airline's flight schedule and product.IME, the schedule is the only thing that TAs can be usefully relied on to know out of these. My TA has to ask me about the other things, because all she gets is the advertising/marketing blurb churned out by the airlines, which she knows is often highly unreliable.

TA votes are good for assessing what they think of commission levels. If you want to know what it's like onboard, ask the pax.

FLIGHTONE
23rd Jan 2006, 13:04
:) Are they paying someone for this? Only 23rd Jan not 1st April.

Gunship
24th Jan 2006, 13:01
This is a laugh a minute !

BA / Virgin ... all MUCH better ..

Someone paid for the ad ... listen to Real Orca : pay your fine :p

REAL ORCA
24th Jan 2006, 18:02
Hey gunsss, 4000 posts, what can I say!!!!:ok:

spice
25th Jan 2006, 04:22
Globaliser - couldn't agree with you more, my TA now asks me what is the best airline to fly for the particular trip I am about to embark on and what would be the best route? Price actually comes secondary to service and perks!

Glassos
26th Jan 2006, 10:54
Recently flew SAA from Atlanta - Joeys roundtrip. As a nonrev I was surprised to be upgraded to business class but I liked the seat. Returning I was fortunate enough to have two window seats and that wasn't too bad. Overall I was impressed with the service. I know it went through a rough patch a couple of years ago but it seems to be improving again.

Gunship
26th Jan 2006, 11:58
Hey gunsss, 4000 posts, what can I say!!!!:ok:

hey Orc's ... what can I say ... I am such a quite guy I have to out things in writing ;)

PS: back to the topic.

A friend just flew Kenya Airways and he said he wanted to vomit when he heard SAA got the trophy again (ahead of even Kenya Airways !) never mind BA / Virgin etc ..

Spydee
27th Jan 2006, 05:07
Gunship,
(ahead of even Kenya Airways !)

i haven't posted in a while but couldn't resist a rejoinder. actally KQ is a quality airline, they have almost killed off SAA on the Joburg-Nairobi route with two flights a day that are upgraded over the weekends to 767/777. I think the travelling public are voting with their feet. In addition KQ became the first subsaharan carrier to get IOSA certification ahead of SAA.

Did you know that KQ is the preferred wildlife carrier out of SA? Every weekend there is a lot of SA wildlife transiting through NBO on its way to Europe, the Middle East and Far East, destinations where SAA flies to. This is very telling as the exporters are South African.

Regards,

I.R.PIRATE
27th Jan 2006, 06:41
Wait just one minute....Wildlife carrier? All airlines in africa are pretty good at that.....not just KQ