PDA

View Full Version : NEW ATC's

Radar35
21st Jan 2006, 21:12
Curious to know where the new ATC's are from that have been recently recruited, and also what the "assessment" week was like and if given one, when are you guys starting?

In the hot seat
21st Jan 2006, 22:57
Are you referring to SA? If so, I've heard rumours of Swedes, Estonians, Macedonians and Egyptians. They were at the ATNS college last week for assessments - can't add anything more as far as news about start dates etc.

Spetsnaz
22nd Jan 2006, 06:22
Uh oh! I think I've experienced one already! Let me know when they are on and I'll adjust my schedule :D

four engine jock
22nd Jan 2006, 10:49
hey guys , south africa does not have the best ATC. I was in Egypt this week and they have great ATC. Better than SA. give them a break.

tyrant
23rd Jan 2006, 19:20
Rumour has it the Egyptian candidates didn't make it through the assesments

captain cumulonimbus
23rd Jan 2006, 19:49
[SIZE="6"]HA HA HA!!!!

Are you joking? Egypt having better ATC than SA!?

Gimme a break pal.SA has unequivocally the best ATC i've ever heard on the African continent.And i've been around it a bit.

While Egypt might be good (not my overwhelming lasting impression),South Africa has the only ATC system comparable to european standards.

Always highly appreciative of our fine ATCOs.

Cb

planecrazy_777
3rd Feb 2006, 14:02
why is it that we can always find time to say something bad about our A.T.C's ? yes sometimes they give us delays and the other runway. but i have found that there are controllers who are more on top of the game than some of us! it so easy to point fingers but don't you think these are guys that are just as passionate about there job as we are of ours? to the A.T.C guys carry on with the great work. shall greet you with a smile on frequency all the time.!

cheers

Late Landing
3rd Feb 2006, 22:19
Even further afield SA trained ATCO provide a good service :ok: - NPE and CHC ACC.

desertrose
4th Feb 2006, 10:20
Let me tell you that the ATC's in Jo'burg are some of the best in the world! (I'm talking about the more senior controllers):ok: That is why they are so marketable all over!

SA lost a lot of controllers (about 18) in the last year to the middle east (DB, AUH, RAK, FUJ and SJ) So instead of trying to keep the controllers in SA, ATNS will rather employ foreigners!

:ugh: I really feel sorry for the controllers who are stuck in SA for personal reasons!!

4HolerPoler
4th Feb 2006, 11:45
Uh, I'm sure that there's a number of controllers who're still in SA because they're very happy there. Each to his own; it's great to hear the accent all over the world but I envy those who live where they can call home. My two-cents worth.

4HP

Dct no speed
4th Feb 2006, 21:03
To the gentleman in his 4 engine thing!

If these Egyptian controllers are so great! Why then are none of them working in Dubai or Abu Dhabi ? But scores of South African controllers are out there keeping the airspace safe? :ok:

Think before you transmit next time. :yuk:

Hey Jo'burg boys and girls you are doing a great job, miss you guys stacks. I am proud that I was trained by the best!

Always requesting
Dct No Speed

4HolerPoler
4th Feb 2006, 22:10
You got me wrong dct - sorry I didn't make myself clearer.

4HP

makeapullup
5th Feb 2006, 06:45
hey there 4holer. me thinks dct no speeds was refering to four engine spock!

B Sousa
5th Feb 2006, 12:15
Unfortunately Governments have plans in place to hire along lines that seem politically correct. At least to those in power.
It happens in the U.S. also, before anyone jumps on me. Im talking of a pool of experienced folks who are retired and looking for things to do. This occurs in ALL fields not just ATC.
What I mean is there are a lot of ATC types here in the States, Im sure in Europe etc who would love to come to SA and work part time, fill in, etc. until the folks who eventually will take over can be PROPERLY screened and trained up to speed. Keeping in mind that a few things are different.
It just aint gonna happen.......

Dct no speed
5th Feb 2006, 18:22
Make a pullup, thanks for setting it straight I was in fact refering to the 4 enigine co...sorry jock !
Dude they (Egyptians) don't even get a look at the jobs in the Middle East even if they can speak the local tongue!

Let makeapullup refresh the memories, was it not just over a year and a half ago that the Powers that be said ......"we dont need any more foreign controllers as our recruitment is working and that the new breed of super ATC we are training will solve all SA's ATC problems!"
Then promtly cancelled all the contracts of those foreigners who where already validated at Jo'burg and send them packing!

4holer poler I also envy those that are still happy in SA( the few), we miss the Billies, rugby and the weather. What I don't miss, is to sit next to someone who could not validate on the busiest piece of airspace on the continent, but who earn the same money as the Jo'burg guys.Like paying the golfpro at Brakpan the same as Tiger Woods!!!!

How marketable are the controllers from SA? Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Bahrain, Muscat, Doha, New Zeeland, Australia, Canada,Amsterdam, Zurich,Hongkong all had Sa Controllers or still has. Out of the 9 or 10 controllers at Sharjah 7 is South African including the boss!

If South Africa need controllers why not try and get some of us back or at least try and find out why we left in the first place ? But no... we rather be hard:mad: s and let the guys and girls who are left behind suffer !:yuk:

Here's to the REEEAAAALLLL Jo'burg controllers (North of central and north of east).... you guys are the best :ok: ....we have a seat open for you in the land of milk and money...sorry honey!:cool:

Always approving
Dct no speed

B Sousa
5th Feb 2006, 18:32
If South Africa need controllers why not try and get some of us back or at least try and find out why we left in the first place ? But no... we rather be hard s and let the guys and girls who are left behind suffer !
Theres a novel idea. Didnt realise so many had left the country.......Take a Bet that they are not of the proper persuasion therefore not hirable...
Better to have one of the New South Africans , untrained and unexperienced rather than someone who could do the job, untill those folks have enough experience to replace the "retirees".
Sad statement, but not unexpected.

Aviator 1972
5th Feb 2006, 19:21
B Sousa..Didnt realise so many had left the country.......
Just a quick count and I found about 40 ex-ATNS guys working in Al Ain and Abu Dhabi alone!! Almost the whole staff compliment of Cape Town. Makes you think??

What you guys in SA as members of your union should do, is sort your union out. The union in SA made a deal with ATNS a few years ago not to accept any of the Middle East guys back on a salary of more than 5 years experience??? :confused: Most ATC's who left already had 5 years experience before leaving. A lot of them have 10 to 20 years of experience!!

The union tries to put the blame on ATNS and ATNS in turn says they are bound by an agreement with the union. So fact of the matter is, NO returning ATC, irrespective of international experience, will receive a proper salary.
ATNS alone is not to blame for the staff shortage which occurs so often there in SA. Your union should get their act together too!!

DCT no speed..well said!:ok:
Ex SA-ATC's are found all over the world. This alone should indicate something... Not only ATC's, SA pilots too!! Just yesterday "goeie more" on the R/T in a foreign country was followed by the same answer from the cocpit.:O

South Aficans will always stay South Africans..no matter where you work in the world..

Keep em safe and keep em flying:ok:

A1972

makeapullup
6th Feb 2006, 13:23
A1972, bit of a catch 22. This will cause controversy, but its difficult to recognise overseas experience when it comes to pay scale. reason being the guys who left probably left because of local conditions. those that stayed worked through those tough times and should be rewarded for this. so how does one who left,come back ,when they want, and earn the same salary? flip side we would love to have all those guys back! what now. union only protecting members interests (although it does also hurt members)
what thoughts?(saying that,if someone comes back it doesn't effect my salary what scale they are on,just looking for a "staying reward" i guess!)

Dct no speed
6th Feb 2006, 14:16
Makepullup,

I Agree that the one's that have been bitting the bullet for so long needs a Bonus, like a benefit year! What I still don't get; is that you get a contract for training but nothing for staying? Okay a selected few has!

Please read the thread on the Zimbawe instructors in the SAAF and look again at the role of the union, The union need to get the power back! Like the pilot's union at SAA did a few years ago when Nigerian pilots were rumoured to be the next in-take to boost the numbers!

Beware that the light at the end of the tunnel is not another train with imports from across the border!:ugh: