PDA

View Full Version : Globespan drops domestic routes

LTNman
21st Jan 2006, 17:00
Globespan will scrap domestic flights from Edinburgh and Glasgow.
The carrier said it was also cancelling a planned route from Edinburgh to Bournemouth.

WOWBOY
21st Jan 2006, 18:06
Edinburgh-Bournemouth would have worked if it had better timing's and frequencey.

nickmanl
21st Jan 2006, 23:50
It was a little ambitious to attempt to overthrow Easy on the route in the first place!

Manual Braking
22nd Jan 2006, 08:53
Yeah, pax figures on the Globespan STN were low compared to EZY STN- they depart EDI within 5 mins of each other so no difference between arrival times. In fact, it is always the gspan that is off blocks first due the lower traffic load. Last week 133 pax on the EZY, 24 on the gspan.

In my opinion, i think globespan have given up too easily. They seem to provide a better service than easyJet (newer a/c, cabin service etc..) and maybe a review of the pricing policy/discounts would of helped.

MB

WOWBOY
22nd Jan 2006, 11:42
From the Herald via Scotavnet:-

BUDGET airline FlyGlobespan has scrapped all domestic flights from
Edinburgh. The city-based no-frills carrier said it was cancelling a
planned route from the Capital to Bournemouth and axing its service to
London Stansted. The cancellations, which come into effect at the end of
February, have left hundreds of passengers who had already bought tickets on
the flights now having to find alternative ways to travel. The firm has
been unable to sell enough tickets to the English south coast, while planes
flying to Stansted will instead be used to take holidaymakers to Europe. The
shock announcement bucks a recent trend for service expansion by
FlyGlobespan, who only this week announced two new destinations from the
Capital for next summer - a weekly service to Mahon in Menorca, as well as
the first flights to the Croatian resort of Pula. A spokesman said: "We
apologise to any customers inconvenienced as a result of the ending of these
flights. In order to serve the summer market and go to the resorts we want
to fly to, we need to take planes off the domestic services. We still have
ambitions for expansion and hope to revisit the domestic market."

It says they want to revist the domestic market!
I wonder what routes they are looking at?

GLA-LGW is a good choice, give BA some competion:p

Ediboy
22nd Jan 2006, 19:13
I Dont want this to get into an Edi v Gla topic but it would be great if globespan looked at longhaul from Edi and also put gran canaria on there Edi list , I think that would be busy as u can only get to gran canaria from Edi in the summer an i dont want to travel to Gla when i have an international airport 30 mins from me. come on globespan look at the edi market as well as the gla one!

GoEDI
22nd Jan 2006, 21:21
Flyglobespan most certainly are looking at the EDI market! I'm sure we'll see long haul in time too, hopefully next summer.

GW76
22nd Jan 2006, 22:05
Dont worry, Mr Dalrymple was quoted to day as saying he has to look at EDI too for expansion- as when any new route from GLA gets launched there is squealing from the East coast

Oshkosh George
22nd Jan 2006, 23:27
I'm sure any new EDI route would be for sound economic reasons,and not because Mr. Dalrymple is getting a headache from the squealing!:)

Scottie
23rd Jan 2006, 07:23
I suppose the east coast squeal is easier to deal with over the west coast inane drawl. ;)

WHBM
23rd Jan 2006, 09:09
Well this has all been a good use of shareholders' funds - NOT.

I trust the owners will make their opinions known to the management who launched such a financially unlikely-to-succeed attack on the more established low cost operators' markets.

SandLat650
23rd Jan 2006, 12:40
:rolleyes: There aren't any shareholders per se; it's a private company!

It's Tom Dalrymples train set, and as such he can play with it any way he likes.

WHBM
23rd Jan 2006, 13:53
Isn't Tom looking for £600m of external equity funding at the moment ?

http://business.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=105342006

sparkymarky
23rd Jan 2006, 18:34
Isn't Tom looking for £600m of external equity funding at the moment ?
http://business.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=105342006

How can he misuse something he doesn't yet have?

If you actually read the article you will see he has done an excellent job so far.

The long haul plans are excellent, and I'd echo the plea for Gatwick to replace Stansted as a domestic route.

alangirvan
23rd Jan 2006, 23:03
Hi from Australia, which seems to have dropped off the wish list of long haul destinations for now. (Though a lot of seats will be needed for next Australian summer when the Barmy Army come to Australia, to watch England lose the Ashes).

If Globespan already has a good relationship with airlines like Transat, why do they need to fly their own services to Canada. Many years ago, a Britannia person told me that Thomson used scheduled carriers for their long haul travel because that was better than using their own planes. Britannia have operated to Australia since,then, on a limited scale,but surely there already lots of seats available to Canada.

Similarly if Globespan uses a carrier like Nationwide to South Africa they could feed that carrier through Gatwick. If Globespan developed flights through Gatwick to feed long haul carriers, the long haul carriers would sell the seats for them.

tommyc2005
24th Jan 2006, 00:11
Air Berlin was the final nail in the coffin for Glasgow, but I reckon EDI could have prospered if they had stuck with it and possibly even upped frequency with a couple of daytime flights too. Over time, they could have given EZY a run for their money and upped their profile.

Having said that TFS isn't doing great either, 4938 carried in Dec, about 82 per flight.

shamrock7seal
25th Jan 2006, 09:34
candidates for the resumption of planned flights from Bournemouth to Edinburgh:

Air Berlin daily
easyJet twice daily
Air Southwest twice daily via Manchester
Jet2 daily

GoEDI
25th Jan 2006, 14:24
candidates for the resumption of planned flights from Bournemouth to Edinburgh:
Air Berlin daily
easyJet twice daily