PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe browsing issues??

Ray Darr
21st Jan 2006, 14:48
G'day!

Two issues, related to one another (I believe):

Since the new format, anon users cannot "search" (unless they log in). Comments: 1) crew may be down-route and don't know their user-name's password, and therefore are stuck whilst others who log on can search. 2) borrowing a friends computer for a quick search now requires logging in...etc.
Danny (et al Mods..) is there any chance to re-enable searching without having to log in?

Related to the new look...(?). It is now almost impossible to browse "freely", even when I am logged in. If I look, say at Rumours & News and then to a sub-topic, my browser (only) freezes and will not go further into the thread. I have found a work-around that is a pain - copy the address it is stuck on, then open a new browser window, paste the address, and drill down maybe two levels into the thread and the process stops again.

This does not happen all the time, and I have checked for other programs interfering, but nothing seems to be common.

I can browse other forums and sub-threads of those boards - just not PPRuNe.

I've cleared my cookies, checked my cookie-filter program, disabled firewalls, deleted temp files, etc etc...even tried the "IE Fix" program. Nothing works. And this is not the only computer this happens on. Other friends have had the same thing happening to them, exactly as I described - the page just sits there, showing the browser's progress-bar stuck.

Any ideas? ("Go Firefox" is NOT an answer to this issue!)
Cheers,
Ray Darr

roach
21st Jan 2006, 15:16
Similar problem for me using IE6 and Win XP. The only way I found around it is to delete cookies every new page or I can not view a thread. Very frustrating!

Groucho
21st Jan 2006, 15:38
Well guys - it works fine for me in IE6 with XP - it must be something with your browsers?

BOAC
21st Jan 2006, 17:08
crew may be down-route and don't know their user-name's password-I don't really know what to say there!:confused: :)

Please remember that we poor mods DEPEND for our living on the meagre income from Danny, and that depends on the number of PPRune members, divided between us all, so WE hope Danny NEVER changes the requirement to log-in to search!:)

Regarding your browsing problem, I will pass it on to the boffins. I suspect it is a setting in your IE menu.

roach
21st Jan 2006, 17:39
It is for sure something in my IE settings and the trouble is I can not figure it out. All worked well until the new hosting, my laptop displayed the problem as per my previous post and after much fiddling with settings I now have it working as normal except it will not remember my login on pprune ( all other sites are satis ). A few days later my desktop did the same and like an idiot I did not note what I did to solve the laptop problem!!
Ah well one day I'll sit them side by side to compare unless anyone has any suggestions.