PDA

View Full Version : tape player

Arnie DeDump
21st Jan 2006, 11:48
I have zillions of audio cassette tapes now gathering dust. Would anyone know if there is on the market a computer connectable tape player to play these cassettes ? I assume the USB connection would be the likely choice as it carries it's own power supply. If not, any ideas how I can use the PC to listen to them. Any thoughts most welcome,, cheers

Mac the Knife
21st Jan 2006, 12:31
Here you go http://www.plusdeck.com/Englishsite/product_01.html

Probably worth reading the review at http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/other_misc/PlusDeck2/pg2.html

Arnie DeDump
21st Jan 2006, 12:44
Mac, that's grand ! Thanks a bunch, much appreciated . . . .

Conan the Librarian
21st Jan 2006, 17:52
Arnie, have a look further down this page (at least it is today) for the thread on "Cassette tape to CD" That might help on some background knowledge.

But, if it is simply a Q of connecting a tape to your PC, then it is similar to connecting a tape player to a HI FI. Line out from the tape - line in to the PC soundcard/Hi Fi. If no line out on the tape player, the headphone socket will do nicely.

Conan

PS ANother thought strikes me... If your PC has a radio tuner (many do these days, usually as part of a TV card) then you can either put these tapes onto your hard drive using the above method, or again, if you just want to listen, but do it wirelessly, then search for the Arkon Soundfeeder, which is a great little toy and cheap too. You plug it into the headphone socket of any tape player within about 30 feet and tune the radio to the same frequency (6 to choose from) and voila!

Arnie DeDump
21st Jan 2006, 18:05
Thanks Conan. Having read a few of the reports, seems like this little dude is a bit on the simple side, no Dolby/Cro2/metal noise reduction which is going to mean a bit of tape hiss. I don't know I really need the requirment to transfer music to the HDD, but just to listen to a few oldies whilst poling the Global Freightways B744 freighter aroung the FS2004 skies ! The hook up seems a bit odd too, a 20 pin connection through the serial port, not even sure if my board has a serial port. One write up says Radio Shack has the DIN to DIN connector lead I need to connect, as you rightly suggest, the headphone outlet of a tape player to the line in on the board. I shall give that a try first.

Cheers for now and thanks

Mac the Knife
21st Jan 2006, 18:10
I don't think it's that Conan - it's the cool feeling of slipping a cassette into your PC that I suspect he's after.

I'd like one too!!

Gotta admit, when it comes to ripping music there's not much easier than cassette. I use a topgrade recorder and quality cassettes and the usual cassette disasters don't seem to happen.

My old reel-to-reel Sony still works like a dream but I hardly ever turn it on.....not sure you can get tapes for it anymore anyway....:{