PDA

View Full Version : For those on an a Alitalia flight

Gunship
21st Jan 2006, 10:31
I nearly took one ... thanks for the better ticket price BA :ok:

Rome - Troubled airline Alitalia was forced to cancel 130 flights Saturday and warned of delays on other international and internal services as cabin crew and pilots continued industrial action.

While a strike that disrupted flights Thursday and Friday was suspended until Monday, some staff still stayed away from work while unions were holding mass meetings.

In line with Italian law, a minimum service was being provided with flights operating over three hours each in the morning and evening.

Pilots will not be joining Monday's 24-hour stoppage called in further protest against what employees say are worsening working conditions, imposed by management in an effort to cut costs and avoid bankruptcy.

The government says it can provide no more money and Transport Minister Pietro Lunardi has threatened the strikers with sanctions.

"Alitalia is doing its best to limit the inconvenience to its customers thanks to those members of staff who are showing a sense of responsibility and duty," the company said in a statement.

It branded the stoppages "illegal," notably because the unions had not respected the minimum 10-day period between calling a strike and carrying it out.

A recovery plan launched in late 2004 provided for 3,700 job losses and a split between ground operations and transport activities. At the end of last year other measures, including mortgaging aircraft, had to be taken. – AFP

Bus Report (http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=3075765)

Spetsnaz
22nd Jan 2006, 13:59
I nearly took one ... thanks for the better ticket price BA :ok:
Bus Report (http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=3075765)
Just a few comments on Alitalia. Friendly hosties, rock buns posing as sarnies and LOST + LOST + LOST LUGGAGE:*

flyboy2
22nd Jan 2006, 14:43
Alitalia cancels 44 flights
22/01/2006 15:10 PM

Rome - Alitalia cancelled 44 flights on Sunday because of continued labour unrest, the second day in a row Italy's struggling national carrier has had to scrap flights because of wildcat walkouts.
Italy's main unions, meanwhile, met at Rome's Leonardo da Vinci airport to discuss whether to proceed with a threatened full-day strike starting on Monday - the second in a week.
Italian news agencies ANSA and Apcom said the walkout was cancelled pending the outcome of a meeting with the government scheduled for Wednesday.
Alitalia said in a statement that as of Sunday morning it had to cancel 44 out of 130 flights scheduled across its network for Sunday, saying "illegal union initiatives" were to blame. On Saturday it scrapped 66 flights.
Ground crews, including baggage handlers and airplane maintenance workers, had refused to work on Saturday and ground crews were continuing to cause the problems, Alitalia said.
Union officials have said the protests stemmed from a breakdown in negotiations with the government.
Workers are protesting restructuring plans at the loss-making airline, which have included cutting jobs and spinning off the airline's flight unit from its less profitable ground services business.
On Thursday, Alitalia's employees went on a one-day strike.

maxrated
22nd Jan 2006, 16:04
Ironically the most appropriate acronym under current circumstances.

A.L.I.T.A.L.I.A.
Always Late In Takeoff And Late In Arrival.

:=

cavortingcheetah
23rd Jan 2006, 05:36
:rolleyes:

Aircraft Landed In Tokyo All Luggage In Amsterdam?:zzz:

I.R.PIRATE
23rd Jan 2006, 10:45
All Little Iteyes Take Another Little Italian Airline

spice
23rd Jan 2006, 11:00
Agree with you Spetz .... could have utlised the bread roll I received on Alitalia as a tribal weapon :}

Combustion
23rd Jan 2006, 12:00
As long as the hosties are hot thats all that matters.:eek:

spice
23rd Jan 2006, 12:30
OH combustion, that is so sexist - but alas too true!

cavortingcheetah
23rd Jan 2006, 12:50
:eek:

What on God's green earth is sexist about that comment? T'was merely a manifestation of supressed latin libidinous lasciviousness.
One day when I was serving from the drinks' trolley on a transatlantic flight, I deliberately kept my suspender clips pressed against this elderly gent's hand. He was blushing all over! Poor chap! Bless him. Bet he enjoyed it, though…
That's not me I very much hasten to add. Just a little example of the sort of sexual harassment that was available on a particular world's favourite flight.:uhoh:

Gunship
26th Jan 2006, 12:11
Was with a mate at the TIP Alitalia office yesterday ( he was summoned to go there and I had this nasty feeling).

Anyway no swaet arsis there - just poor service.

He had to fly tomorrow ( I think) - Rome / Italy somewhere and then Canada.

"Sorry sir due to strike action our flights are cancelled to 31 Jan ( I think he said).

" But I have an urgent meeting on the 31st"

"We can give your money back or you can fly later "

"Give my money back"

Ok less 14% Admin costs ! The Libyan nearly killed 10 people !

They just refused to refund him in full !!! Can you believe it ???