PDA

View Full Version : XM607, Waddington's Warbird

The Rocket
20th Jan 2006, 23:02
While there has been an awful lot recently on Blackpool's Vulcan (XL391) being destroyed due to it's condition, Has anybody given any thought to what could be the RAF's most significant Vulcan?

As the UK has been lamenting the neglect of XL391, The aircraft that carried out the initial Black Buck bombings, and which held the longest ever bombing record for many years, has been left to corrode on a remote dispersal site at RAF Waddington for as many years as '391, but obviously get no press, because "The RAF are looking after that one"

Trouble is, we're not. At all.

The last time I saw 607, it was a rusty wreck, and this was only 2 years ago.
Yes, Waddington move her around from time to time, but inside, she's rotting away, and outside, the corrosion is eating her up. All 4 jetpipes have rotted through, and most of her skin is pitted terribly.

I personally think that of all the Vulcans remaining, this is the one that should be preserved, if only because it is the one that has had a significant influence in all of our lives.

Should it really be left to degrade, out of public view on a dispersal pan at Waddington?

Does anybody think that we should at least bring her up to a respectable standard, and try to preserve the RAF's Flagship of the Falklands War?

Vfrpilotpb
21st Jan 2006, 10:39
YES we should, but how do the RAF beancounters see that as anything but a waste of their finance, and who's budget would it come from?

Vfr:hmm:

London Jets
21st Jan 2006, 16:59
I'd love to this this aircraft preserved as well, but with the continuous cutbacks that the RAF are subjected to, how will this be possible? Unfortunately, though it pains me to say it, I can see this wonderful piece of our history going the same direction as XL391.