PDA

View Full Version : how do you make money to become a pilot?

A320rider
20th Jan 2006, 14:11
hello,

how do you make money to pay for a cpl, mcc, type rating, 500h jet, second tye rating, another 300hours jet, medical , IR check,...

lottery, parents,? do you work? what kind of job pay so well?

AIRWAY
20th Jan 2006, 14:35
Working full time and flying training during weekends...

Grass strip basher
20th Jan 2006, 15:08
Ditto... intend to get to ME/IR FATPL with no debt by working full time all the way through and flying/studying evenings and weekends.

May take 12-24 months or so longer than simply quitting work but I will save the opportunity cost of tens of thousands of pounds in lost earnings that I would suffer if I did the training full time.... will take longer but heck patience is a virtue and all that. ;)

scruggs
20th Jan 2006, 16:02
Same here, i.e. the modular route. Working Mon-Fri, flying at the weekend.

markflyer6580
20th Jan 2006, 16:08
Modular with hard work and money released from my house equity.

I am going to win £85,000,000 on the lottery tonight though,buy myself some nice aircraft for private charters,I will offer the jobs to fellow prooners first,except you of course A320:E

LOOP2STAND1
20th Jan 2006, 16:54
Same I worked full time did the modular / distance learning route. (Annual leave was used for brush - up courses, atpl exams not to mention the flight tests!) took me 2 and a half long years.....but now I have a right seat on a jet in the greatest office going.......was it worth it?.......definately!:ok:

link4
20th Jan 2006, 18:36
or as my friend would say get into a Integrated course, take a risk, get into a massive debt of £50,000, work as a FI for one year and get ur job in the RHS of an airliner by age 22 :cool:

Everything works different for different people :ok:

european champion
20th Jan 2006, 21:25
Also get paid for sex with mature women is a good idea,thats going to be my next job.

Longchop
20th Jan 2006, 22:22
Also get paid for sex with mature women is a good idea,thats going to be my next job.

Why stop there......You could pimp out foxy ladies and take a cut of their earnings!! Easy Money!!

Reality wise, study hard and work hard at the same time!

PPL- P/T
Hopur building - P/T
ATPLs - P/T or F/T depoending on your finances
CPL- upto you
IR- F/T would probably be best although i did mine P/t!:{

AerocatS2A
21st Jan 2006, 12:14
My way:

PPL - Living at home with Mother, paying minimal board, enough money from unemployment benefit to do 0.7 hours per week. (time taken: 1.5 years.)

CPL - Working at a service station, living at home still, earning enough to pay off a $20,000 NZD debt.

First full time flying job having fun in single engine aerobatic machine within one week of attaining CPL.

After five years, move to Australia for a change and a job in PNG, job falls through, back to square one.

Get job as flight crew (non-pilot) with enough pay to allow a further $15,000 AUD debt and a multi-engine instrument rating.

Swap from being non-pilot flight crew to pilot flight crew with the same company. Now flying multi crew twin turbo-prop, probably qualify for most airline jobs, but not particularly interested, no CVs out there at present.

I have no intention of paying for any type ratings, if I'm to move on to an airline I'll do it the old fashioned way, you want me? You pay for my training thanks (which limits the airlines I can go to of course.)

Enjoying life.

south coast
21st Jan 2006, 16:37
i prostituted my girlfriend out fopr money to pay for training, but now the government has changed the laws on 'curb crawling' i dont think i will be able to get a type rating...

i am really grateful for her for doing it, although it was not my indea and i said i was only happy with it if she was...

we all have different ways of raising the money...

european champion
21st Jan 2006, 17:27
She must really love you to do this for you,you are very lucky,i wish i had a girlfriend like yours!

gtaflyer
22nd Jan 2006, 12:39
here are a few other ways.

1. if you have a house put it out on rent and live like one of the tenants. this way use the rental income and fly.

2. do they still give NVQ tax relief on pilot training? i got a fair bit saved this way.

3. Go and hour build in the USA or even do the ppl in USA in a month that way you dont give up your job.

4. I saved my annual leave and took it all at once to do the ATPLs

hope this helps

gtaflyer