PDA

View Full Version : Foreign jets low flying in the UK

gashman
19th Jan 2006, 16:29
A bit of a dull thread, but does anyone know which agencies need to be asked for permission to fly in the UK LFAs, if you are visiting from a foreign airforce? My squadron seems to be having a few snags, so if anyone knows of a contact I can ring or email from work, can you let me know.

TVM

Lafyar Cokov
19th Jan 2006, 16:30
Its all in the front of Planning Doc Vol 3 Sect 1

gashman
19th Jan 2006, 16:50
Cool beans, is that an RAF pub, and if so who can I ring to get it? If not, I'll ask my hosts to get hold of a copy. Appreciate the help, Lafyar Cokov.

Now back to using the internet for what it was designed for...

Onan the Clumsy
19th Jan 2006, 16:51
...more "low flying" :E

Pontius Navigator
19th Jan 2006, 17:05
It is the Military Air Information Publication, issued monthly on CD-ROM by No 1 AIDU RAF Northolt. Do you have a flight planning section? They will have a copy.

If you are not authorised military then you cannot get it as it is classified.

L J R
19th Jan 2006, 17:23
You might be surprised how difficult getting the approval actually is. When I was on Exchange to USAF on a Squadron Det to UK, we could not get approval no matter what avenue we chased. At the time, UKLF masters were adament that foreign Mil AC (Even USAF) had to be operating on a NATO EX, or some other 'Officially Sponsored' ex, or a unit deployed officially as Part of USAFE.

We even got all tense when the weather meant that we descended (VFR) to 1900' AGL over Wales en route to wherever we were going.

Good luck though....

gashman
19th Jan 2006, 19:04
Thanks for the info guys, for info I'm in L J R's position, except I'm helping establish a new sqn at the mo and they don't have many established proceedures. I know it's been done before by others on the unit but they seem to get the approval by weeks of trial and error. I thought it'd be good to have an established routine.

At least I have an idea about who to call now :ok:

Pontius Navigator
19th Jan 2006, 19:09
Gashman, check PMs.

WorkingHard
20th Jan 2006, 12:05
PLEASE DONT DO IT! Dont we have enough FJs at LL already? At least don't allow any more in to do it here.

Pontius Navigator
20th Jan 2006, 14:34
Gashman, don't believe him. With the Jaguar draw down and overseas deployments we have the space.

gashman
20th Jan 2006, 16:18
WH, I'm not doing it to blast around the UK for a laugh. I'm trying to improve the training available to UK assets and foster stronger links between NATO members during my exchange. I thought that was one of the points of such an appointment.

Anyone agree with my point of view?

soddim
20th Jan 2006, 18:23
Are you providing targets or fighters?

Pontius Navigator
20th Jan 2006, 18:28
soddim, obvious init? Anything less than a Typhoon is a target.:}

gashman
20th Jan 2006, 18:33
oh y'know, a bit of both! Happy to play RED AIR for an ingress as long as we can then do a bit of CAS work or EW trg, followed by a bit more air to air stuff. And if someone's looking for an OCA sweep, we can have a bash at that too. Trying to get as involved as possible in UK exercises because it's cheaper and more readily available than punting off to the USA every two years. Plus, I think a little and often will show better results than trying to pull it out of the bag when a big event like Maple Flag pops up. Any offers for a fight, CAS support, COMAO work etc, then let me know. Also trying to T up some return matches for anyone looking to practice OOA Ops. PM if you are keen, or can help out a fledgeling NATO sqn get fighting fit...

GM