PDA

View Full Version : Aerial survey work

dunforkinout
18th Jan 2006, 16:31
At the moment I have a tentative offer of a job doing aerial surveys flying a light twin. No contract negotiations have taken place yet or pay been discussed.

Being only recently qualified and low hours I have no idea what kind of money to expect or ask for from this job. Anyone with a bit of experience who may be able to offer some advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Dunforkinout

doglegfinal
18th Jan 2006, 16:57
I have done some surveying for a company in NL, contracts I had were seasonal contracts(2 or three months) or, a contract "connected" to a project. I expect that you will get a contract for a few months as well. The flying is fun and I think I know the company you are going to work for (if so, say hi to Gerald for me :ok: ) and that means you are going to see a lot of the world. Don't think they pay much though. But definately good experience.

Maude Charlee
18th Jan 2006, 18:29
I spent most of the last 3 years bashing around doing survey work in a C150 Aerobat. Not twin work, obviously, so a little different for you I'm sure. Absolute hoot and some of the best flying I think I'll ever have. £20 per tacho hour, so it'll never make you a wealthy man (unless you buy out the company - some serious money to be made there), but you will enjoy it.

Just don't be had for a fool - remember it's your licence on the line - and keep the peepers open for low, fast pointy things. I guarantee they can ruin your whole day.

Well worth the experience, as it keeps the hours trickling into the old logbook, and depending on the type of survey and hence the flying required, it'll sharpen those handling skills to a high degree. For my money, much more rewarding than instructing.

Craggenmore
18th Jan 2006, 18:54
Great PPRuNe name too!

slow_bird1
18th Jan 2006, 19:49
can i ask were you heard of such job and if there is any more:) ?
dt

The Otter's Pocket
18th Jan 2006, 21:08
I did something similar to Maude several years ago.
Great laugh, learn't so very much, especially how to handle difficult situations. However be aware...they are some very bad operators.
Sounds like a hoot in a twin...have a great time.

buzzc152
18th Jan 2006, 21:14
If we're talking about a certain Wickenby based operation then you've no need to worry..... they're a professional outfit doing ligit survey work. Their pay and conditions is another story, but I only have third hand information so I'll keep quite. Good work if you can find it and not to be sniffed at in this day and age.

Good luck

dunforkinout
13th Feb 2006, 14:29
Thanks to everyone who posted with the advice. Got the job and really looking forward to it. Pay is not too bad either!

Thanks.

DFO