PDA

View Full Version : Lifestyle in the small Caribbean islands

european champion
18th Jan 2006, 15:28
I always wanted to move to S.America or Caribbean islands and i would move tomorrow if i had the chance but preferably on one of the bigger islands,im not sure if i would like the lifestyle on a small island,i ve seen on the map some really tiny islands(personally i dont feel very comfortable living in very small towns,islands...)
Anyone who has lived or spent time in the small Caribbean islands could please make a comment about lifestyle?If you had to make a list of islands with interesting lifestyle and another list of boring islands which ones would u put on the list?
Ofcourse everyone has different preferences but i believe that would help wanabees who have never been there and plan to go to get a rough idea how is lifestyle there and which are the good and bad points of living there.

flufdriver
6th Feb 2006, 06:11
The only way to find out is to actually go there.

As a european having lived in the Caribbean region for 35 plus years I can only say that you have to try the Islands yourself.

First you find out if you like the climate, then the people, then if the people like you, next if you can earn a living and if you can assimilate.

Its kind of like selecting a companion, no-one can tell you how you will like a place and/or a people.

so... go and explore!

I didn't come here to stay, it just happened!:\

blueplume
8th Feb 2006, 09:48
eurochamp,

the Caribbean has no timetable other than "it's done when it's done". This means that even it has been completed you won't be told this until such time as the doer feels the time is auspicious (cool) enough to tell you.

Money will get almost everything done quicker (note that this is still a relative term).

The main reason for this is that the sun shone yesterday, it's shining today and it will almost certainly shine tomorrow so why hurry if every day is the same?

However, if the locals feel that they are learning/getting something from you then you're their best friend until you start telling someone else the same thing at which time recipient-of-information No. 1 will feel his worth decreased because he/she is no longer the sole person to benefit from some piece of information that can be used to show up the neighbour's ignorance.

Before anyone says it, no, I am not making generalised racist comments. I have been in the Caribbean for years now and I can confirm that there are many extremely intelligent and talented individuals in the Caribbean that would put the average European to shame. It's just the Caribbean way. Go there and enjoy.

flufdriver
10th Feb 2006, 02:08
I wouldn't dispute that many Caribbean people have a different set of priorities from the average european or north american working or business person, as to which is the better recipe for enjoying life and reducing stress is another matter and the jury is still out on that one.

that is why I say "Whatever happens, happens"

and who wants to arrive at the end of their life early?

european champion
19th Feb 2006, 10:42
Thanks for your replies.I have always wanted to live in the Caribbeans or latin america,i guess the only way to find out how life is there is to live there,i just need to make a decision where to go for a start.Workwise i believe there is going to be plenty of work anywhere,the only problem from what i realize is work permit issues and also citizenship requirements in some countries.I believe there is always a way to go around some certain laws and get things done in most countris,can anyone confirm this?

flufdriver
20th Feb 2006, 02:08
:} Of course there is always a way around any requirement or law, it usually takes money or conections or both.

One of the unfortunate things about going to a new place on this planet is that one rarely has those things that can oil the machinery.

But then again, moving and making new starts is what makes life interesting and unless life is interesting, it is not worth living.

Some of my fondest memories are of times of struggle and and overcoming adversity.

That IS Life!

Hogg
21st Feb 2006, 23:28
Lived for almost 2 years on 4 different Islands. First one was after ferrying a twotter to Antiqua where I spent a week "drifting" around the Island trying out the bars and food, during this week met a girl who showed me the unspoilt ! caribbean and convinced me to work in the region. Got job got validated oecs few handy ratings and worked on Antiqua/ St Vincent. Then joined a startup in Grenada and stayed 18 months. GND was a smallish island but fab people, great nightlife and such a relaxed atmosphere that I flung my seiko watch into a shore and havent worn one since.
I fitted into the area where i lived opting for a small flat in St Georges instead of the company provided apartment in Lance AuxPines. Made loads of friends very quickly and was soon cooking my own goat curry with the added ingredient of 2 bottles of whiskey.
Spent a fair bit of time also on Carriacou snorkling scuba diving and lying on the beach just doing nothing.
Overall i would opt for the smaller non tourist island but you definitely need a sense of humour!
The views each morning island hopping and the sometimes longer 3 hour charters were very very nice. Wish digital cameras were invented. Best memory was UVF-TAB empty positioning flight on my own at lowish altitude! Fab.
Funniest but not for those involved was on a BN2 delivering a body from GND to Union Island late one evening and my colleague another to SVG when after turning the casket each and every way to get it out to discover the wrong person, so back into Islander and flew to St Vincent where my colleague was waiting in fits of laughter after his body which was for Union was cordonened off on the ramp with a suspected sudden death being investigated by a big official ex west african expert cop because it had fallen out of its final overcoat! The delights of Carib freight Forwarding.. so
Miss GND so much and have been back twice since the terrible hurricane, Would go back in the morning.
Having spent recent times in West Africa very similar attitudes...... its a laff:)

european champion
1st Mar 2006, 15:22
Thanks for sharing your experiences.Hogg is there any airlines flying from West Africa to Caribbeans.I think it would be a good plan to fly from Europe through W.Africa,this way i increase my opportunities of scoring a job in either W.Africa or Caribbeans.