PDA

View Full Version : How, and how long, to get that first job?

ramshorn
18th Jan 2006, 12:52
Hi
Could people give me a general idea of how long it took them from end of IR or MCC to get there first reasonably paid work as a pilot wether they were instructing or RHS for airline/corporate or any other piloting they may have been doing??

Thanks;)

eghi r20
18th Jan 2006, 13:11
Hiya

Approaching four years of weekend instructing so far and still trying to land that first real job.

That said most on my course have now landed jobs.....Lucky sods......

good luck

ps i am a 32 yr old, modular,900 hrs, Would never turn down an offer. Had a few near misses though.. ( i guess 5 CV's per month )

buzzc152
18th Jan 2006, 13:24
About 7 months after modular route to (virtually) unpaid C172 work aerial work, and about 13 months to full time job on proper aeroplanes (actually I start on monday :) )

Superpilot
18th Jan 2006, 13:32
With these sort of questions, it's also worth asking people other details. Such as:

How hard did you try to get the job? (cv's/month)
Did you pay for a T/R out of your own pocket?
Did you pay for any line training?
Your age
Have you turned any job down?

Without the above bits of information anyone could form any old conclusion. Trouble is, all of the above Questions prompt up another debate!

A320rider
18th Jan 2006, 15:21
got 1 interview a few days ago, in 4 years, maybe I have the job I dreamed of.I pushed my luck by knocking at the door without any appointment.(sending CV is useless)
got several unpaid or very bad aviation jobs in the past.

the problem is to live with a decent flying job, and this job, I did not find it yet, even after 10 years.

it is just a question of luck, but I do advise to anyone to do something else, and get a better life.
If I got the job, good for me, but for how long? and then ?

be a pilot= no money, no wife, no kid, no house, no car,debts, family problems,...

Jinkster
18th Jan 2006, 18:56
22 years old, Modular...currently approaching 10months of no flying job!
CVs sent = must be approaching 200, generally send about 20 a week to various places.

Looks like it will have to be the instructor rating for me

no sponsor
18th Jan 2006, 19:05
Finished all training in July last year (2005) with MCC. Modular. First time passes, minimum hrs. No sniff of a job, i.e. no interview. Considering FI rating.

OBK!
18th Jan 2006, 19:20
11 Months after doing modular licence. RHS on A320/21. 20 yrs old. 250hrs.

Advice would be stop sending CV's and get out there yourself. Anyone can send a CV, you simply won't stand out on a piece of paper anymore. :ok:

Rgds

AlternativeProcedure
18th Jan 2006, 19:31
4 Months after finishing the MCC, Twin Otter, Just turned 24. Oh congrats to buzzc152 for getting that job on proper aeroplanes. What aircraft is it on?

ATP_Al
19th Jan 2006, 12:23
Modular, 23, finished feb 05. Got paid parachute dropping job on BN Islander within 1 week, well paid air taxi job 8 months later. 12 months on and I'm starting with a turboprop regional airline in 2 weeks!

Put some thought into your applications and target companies you actually want to work for. Don't just mail merge the sme CV/letter! Also try to have a back up plan if you don't get your dream job straight away and make sure you apply to companies at all levels in the industry, from piston singles to big jets!

Al

ali1
19th Jan 2006, 12:34
Hi all

Finished IR Apr 03. Did various ground jobs dispatching etc. Got an FI rating, lots of fun!!! Just started line training on 737. Age 22 and didn't pay upfront for a type rating

all the best

hedges81
19th Jan 2006, 12:51
those of you for whom it is/has taken a long time, did u have first time passes for all the atpl exams, cpl and ir?

Liftdumper
19th Jan 2006, 13:17
Integrated with MCC, I found a RHS on a CRJ in 11 months.

fly-dj
19th Jan 2006, 13:50
Intergrated course. A bunch of CV's and a spot of luck got me 3 interviews within 2 months of finishing. Passed 2 of them and a subsiquent sim check to make it into both airlines hold pools. Then a further 8 months of swimming before getting a start date.

richiya
19th Jan 2006, 14:11
Finished intergrated in 2001, MCC done feb 2001, then usa for hour building got 550 hours plus.still NO JOB. Decided to go to uni hoping for things to be better when I finish my degree. Still have all licences up to date and send out 2 or 3 cv´s a week... had some interviews but no luck...:*

llesson
19th Jan 2006, 15:08
6 months RHS B737 from modular CPL/IR....

jimpearce
19th Jan 2006, 15:08
Modular, 37 (old git!!), finished IR early Sept '05. Started applying for jobs. MCC completed early October and got parachute dropping job on Islander late November, started training early December and just waiting for reasonable weather to get signed off.
Might not be the shiny jet job many expect but very happy that my first aviation job is on a twin and looking forward to a great summers flying.
Been lucky enough to hold on to my engineering job throughout, don't be too quick to throw away that reasonably paid employment, it really helps, not many people get that break straight away.
All the best for 2006.
Jim.
:D

Pilot Pete
19th Jan 2006, 16:00
There aren't too many replies to this thread yet, but a few things stand out to me and they echo my past experiences.

1. Integrated AND modular trained pilots get jobs.
2. Integrated AND modular trained pilots can spend a long time looking for that first break, or have a couple land in their lap within weeks of qualifying.
3. Not many breaks come along, whatever route you have taken to get your licence.
4. Some people nanchalantly brush off 'a couple of breaks' as 'no luck yet'. Let this be a lesson to ALL Wannabes; if you get a call for selection, DO NOT BLOW IT, it could be a very long time before you get another chance (if ever).
5. Paying for a type rating is not necessarily the answer and do so bearing in mind the great risk attached if not part of a scheme such as the CTC ATP where you get placed with an employer.
6. Sending out CVs alone is simply NOT ENOUGH. You MUST be pro-active if you want to get that break, as sure as hell someone else will be and no prizes for guessing which one gets the 'lucky break'...
7. If you don't get a job within a reasonable timescale after qualification (your decision as to how long to wait), YOU MUST do something else to make yourself more employable, be that para-dropping, FI, type rating scheme (note 'scheme' as I think paying on the open market is just too risky; but each to his own), or whatever else to get more hours. The worst position to be in 12 months later is to still have 200hrs, working back in your old non-flying job (to pay the bills) and not spending enough time either 'in' aviation or job seeking.

Age is undoubtedly a factor (although not insurmountable), luck comes into it too, but the overwhelming majority of pilots don't get that lucky to have a couple of offers within a month of qualification. Most have pushed and pushed and pushed potential employers, upped-sticks to wherever to fly ANYTHING to build experience and NEVER let up in their attempts to get on the next rung of the ladder.

I think the biggest thing to bear in mind, which I see again and again is DON'T SCREW UP A SELECTION if you have done the hard work and been called forward.

Oh, and just for the record, I first started flying in 1997, followed what would now be called the 'modular' route, qualified Jan 1999 and set myself a cut-off of 3 months to get a job. Didn't, so did an FI rating. Made a contact and grabbed an opportunity to do air taxi up in Scotland. Eighteen months later, and after 4.5 months of harranging the Boeing Fleet Manager, I was called for selection for jmc (now TCUK) to make up the numbers when CTC could only provide 9 from their hold pool when he wanted 10. Qualified on the 757 as an F/O, then 9/11 and a couple of jobs later ended up in Britannia as an F/O. Last year saw the chance of a command on the 737 fleet and that's where I am now. It does happen, just keep the faith and don't relent on the job search.....

Best of luck.

PP

Delta Wun-Wun
19th Jan 2006, 16:31
Even older git (40yrs) modular. Did CPL/FI back to back then instructed part time. Got job offer almost 2 yrs to the date of initial IR. Thought I`d learnt something whilst being an Instructor.....nothing to what I have learnt in the last 3 mths in a Turbo-Prop!!

Craggenmore
19th Jan 2006, 16:47
MCC to hold pool was 4 months. Still in the hold pool and currently an FI.

Remember, an airline job is until 60. An instructors license is for life!

:}

AlternativeProcedure
19th Jan 2006, 18:51
Most have pushed and pushed and pushed potential employers, upped-sticks to wherever to fly ANYTHING to build experience and NEVER let up in their attempts to get on the next rung of the ladder.
Looking back, that is so so true. That statement totally describes what I had to do. You really cannot let the lack of activity bring you down, do whatever it takes, no matter what, hard work and Perseverance will always pay in the end.

Seaweed Knees
19th Jan 2006, 18:53
This thread will not give a true indication of what can be expected. People are more likely going to post about their success so it will not give anyone reading it any meaningful info on the likelyhood of employment or how long it should take to find a job. I got my FAA CPL in 2002 was employed 3 months later flying a 206 in AK, starting new job flying an AC690. 3 jobs between those two.

Number Cruncher
19th Jan 2006, 19:41
This thread will not give a true indication of what can be expected

Maybe so, but I happen to find it one of the most useful discussions I have seen here in a long time. Keep them coming guys. Maybe hearing from the non-successful guys will make it even more useful.

Fokkerdriver
19th Jan 2006, 20:00
Finished intergrated course 2002, 22 years old.
Was unemployed 1 year...invested in a turboprop rating and got a job.
Worked for peanuts for 3 years but is now moving onto a jet and prober money in the pocket.

nbairlines
20th Jan 2006, 08:04
20 yrs old, finished integraded 6 months ago, starting TR 737NG for a large dutch airline on monday.
airline pays for everything. TT ~175hrs

fly-dj
20th Jan 2006, 08:09
Quote:
This thread will not give a true indication of what can be expected. People are more likely going to post about their success

Well yes, since to title of the thread is "time from end of training to first job". I would have thought you needed to have achieved success before you can answer ramshorn's question.
Just a thought...

747 Downwind
20th Jan 2006, 08:49
Finished integrated training at 23 yrs old, one year to get flight ops job (made redundant), half a year thinking hmm what next (FI course etc), a year doing SSTR with line flying, then job RHS 737.. Total time: 2.5 years.
All first time passes, average above 85% blah blah.. just didn't have any flying experience, that's the key keep flying if u can.

Wannabe24
24th Jan 2006, 15:59
Mod's can we make this one sticky? (or at least for a couple of months)...It would make for some pleasant scenery!

I promise to reduce the size of this post if you do! :D

Don't worry, I've done it for you!

No, I won't make it a sticky. There are too many already. However, if it continues in a constructive vein, I may add it to the READ THIS FIRST sticky thread in the other Wannabes forum. You have read that one, haven't you?

Scroggs

Megaton
25th Jan 2006, 07:10
Eight weeks from completion of MCC to first turbo-prop job. Twelve months later first jet job.

haughtney1
25th Jan 2006, 11:03
Started flying in New Zealand in 1991, CPL in NZ in 1996 first job took 8 months on a light twin....12 months later onto a turbo-prop, then made redundant:ugh:
Stopped flying for 18months..then moved to the UK in 2000, started a modular conversion on 11/09/00:ugh: Finished conversion/Exams/IR in early 2003, then it took 9 months of door knocking, phonecalls, long drives up and down the UK before a turbo-prop job was offered, 9 months later PPrune sponsered me onto a jet (thanks again)..and in 5 weeks or so Im starting as a DE F/O at Monarch:}
A long and winding road:ok:

plumponpies
25th Jan 2006, 11:11
12 months after MCC 34 yrs old. 300hrs landed RHS 737. by pure luck, determination and networking.
CV bashing produced zip! Get ot there and get noticed, that seems to be the best advice.
Good luck.

Longchop
25th Jan 2006, 19:55
Finished MCC Nov04 had 1 interview in nov04 before yhe end of my MCC and 1 interview in early dec04 then that led to 2 job offers and a job start date of may05.........on a regional heavy TP with 230 hrs!!!

hows about that then!!:ugh:

skywaytoheaven
25th Jan 2006, 21:38
Finished IR Aug 2000,
Aug 2000 - May 2001: Unemployed(able)
May2001 - May2003: Instructor
2 years 9 months to first airline job

May 2003 - Dec 2005: Dash 8 driving
Jan 2006 -: A320
And the most fun was instructing!

Sphinx
25th Jan 2006, 22:35
PPL while working Mid 2000 - 2001
Full time modular courses Autumn 2001 - 2002 including ATPL's, CPL and IR
MCC early 2003
Interview April 2003
Job end of May 2003 with a leading UK regional on a TP.

Decent money if not bank-breaking. After 2 years moved on to charter A320 and good money.

scroggs
26th Jan 2006, 08:00
This thread will not give a true indication of what can be expected. People are more likely going to post about their success so it will not give anyone reading it any meaningful info on the likelyhood of employment or how long it should take to find a job.

To some extent this is true. There will be many who were active Ppruners while they were in training and, later, searching for a job, but if they were unsuccessful they will have drifted away. That said, so will many of those who did succeed! Therefore I think this thread could provide a reasonably useful cross-section of experiences.

As Pilot Pete has suggested, the most important quality in your job search is not the school you went to, or the percentage you got in your ground exams, or the fact thet you got all first-time passes (or not!). It is your attitude and the amount of effort you are prepared to put into finding a job. Some of those who sit back and wait for a job to come to them will be lucky; most will not. Those who really make the effort to go out and find the work make their own luck, and the vast majority of people with this kind of 'go get it' attitude will succeed.

It's up to you!

Scroggs

eahlund
26th Jan 2006, 08:03
Very informative thread! Just a question, when you guys are talking about making yourself noticed. What exactly do you mean? I think i have an idea just want to make sure, I dont finish my training until somtime early 2007, but im trying to prepare for what im up against ;)
Cheers and thanks for the useful information!

757manipulator
26th Jan 2006, 10:02
Eahlund,

IMHO, its all about getting yourself known, this means picking up the phone and speaking to various interested persons, being a detective and finding out who to contact, being the squeaky hinge that needs oiling first:} (had a girlfriend like that once;) )
Dont forget that a lot of people in positions of influence have had to go through EXACTLEY the same process as you. It really is a case of sink or swim in this regard. Tough but true.

Bluebaron
26th Jan 2006, 10:45
Finished IR in Mar 1998, started instructing in June 2000, got first 'job' in Sept 2001 but didnt start until feb 2003.

SO 3 years really but 5 years in reality due to me bin ladan.

BB:\

ruthers
26th Jan 2006, 11:25
age 38 (now 40), modular. Completed MCC Nov '03 and spent 3 months concentrating on 'select' regional carriers (with no success). Mar '04 completed FI rating and gained 650 invaluable hours and experience in 11 months teaching PPL's.
Feb '05 gained employment as a f/o with regional jet operater via spec application.
Everyones circumstances are different but if you are very low hours with no firm job offer/interview (and you're finances can take the hit) then maybe now is the time to book on that FI course ready for a busy summers flying. Without those single piston hours i would be back working in the office for sure!

Fellow Aviator
26th Jan 2006, 12:38
PPL 2002. Started training for CPL/ME/IR August 2003, finnished Dec 2004. FI-rating for summer 2005 flying season and now flying TP.
I also think that without my FI-hours I would still be looking for a job. Good luck to all.

Carl Kevan
18th Sep 2006, 17:26
Hello all.

Are you a recent graduate from either Oxford or Jerez? If so, what success (or let downs) have you had? Have you been forced to fork out for a type rating? Also, if your trained at Jerez, did you receive any aftercare once you had finished the course. I am asking for this feedback, as I have yet to make a final decision on where to train. I will be visiting both schools. But, I would also like experienced and non biased opinions. Any knowledgeable feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Carl.

rabino
27th Sep 2006, 15:03
I finished last year in September. Went back to my original job(3 months unpaid taken to do training). Then out of the blue phone goes, can I come for an interview 2 days later(March 2006) and hey presto after a 45 minute chat, I'm now a F/O flying B737-800's out of LGW for XL. 6 months of CV bashing and annoying phonecalls Definitely lucky break.

pipertommy
27th Sep 2006, 15:40
Well done:ok: What was your qual`s ie type rated?If you don`t mind me asking?

FunFlyin
27th Sep 2006, 19:39
Seeing as this has been brought back to the top it would be polite for me to put my two cents in :)

Finished an Integrated course in March 05.
One interview in the April which i sadly at the time (things are better with hindsight) didnt get.
A few months over the summer keeping current and enjoying my licence while working out of the industry followed by many cvs
Gained another interview in september, Sim checked in November and started my job flying TP's for a UK company in January

Over the moon to be here, keep bashing those Cvs out and keep current:D

pipertommy
28th Sep 2006, 11:19
Congrats:ok: How many hours do you have step climb?

GoldenMonkey
28th Sep 2006, 12:18
Modular trained weekends and evenings whilst working to (partially) fund it.

August 2002 - May 2003: PPL
July 2003 - July 2004: ATPL distance learning
August 2004 : hour building in states
September 2004 - May 2005: CPL/IR
July 2005: MCC
Oct 2005 - Jan 2006: CTC ATP selection (including AQC)

Now 737 RHS and loving it. Head down and stay focused. Definitely worth it.

Good luck to all. :ok:

ChocksAwayUK
28th Sep 2006, 13:33
Modular trained weekends and evenings whilst working to (partially) fund it.
August 2002 - May 2003: PPL
July 2003 - July 2004: ATPL distance learning
August 2004 : hour building in states
September 2004 - May 2005: CPL/IR
July 2005: MCC
Oct 2005 - Jan 2006: CTC ATP selection (including AQC)
Now 737 RHS and loving it. Head down and stay focused. Definitely worth it.
Good luck to all. :ok:

That's absolutely identical to how I did it, but six months ahead of me! Still swimming in the CTC pool though. When did they fish you out and start you on a rating Golden Monkey? if I add six months to that I'll be able to plan on whether I need to renew my IR or not.

GoldenMonkey
28th Sep 2006, 13:46
Back in January this year, they couldn't spit us out fast enough.
So I was in the pool less than 24 hours!
Hope you're not swimming too much longer.

GM

ChocksAwayUK
28th Sep 2006, 13:51
Ah, thanks. Things have slowed down a bit in the last few months. Fairly high on the list but if I don't start till late November I face a rather expensive inconvenience :uhoh:

Penworth
28th Sep 2006, 15:41
CPl/IR/MCC modular finished April 05.
Interview a month later with regional turboprop operator
Passed Sim check for them in Dec 05
January 06 CTC AQC (same as Golden Monkey!)
Chose to stay with CTC over starting TP type rating in March.
Now have almost finished 6 month training contract on 737.

So after finishing training took a year until starting first job. Loving every minute of it so far! :)

PW

pipertommy
29th Sep 2006, 11:40
Thanks nice to see it`s possible.Good luck with your future:ok:

hpcock
29th Sep 2006, 12:50
Route: Modular
G/school finished Mar 2003 (JAA FATPL)
CPL/IR finished Feb 2004
MCC (A320) Jun 2004
ATPL Ground Instructor from Apr 2003-Dec 2005
Apr 2006 sat & passed Indian DGCA "composite exams"
At present - awaiting finalisation of paperwork & offered 4 jobs in space of 3 weeks on either ATR 42/72 500 - B737NG - A319/20. All private Indian operators, with chance to move onto B777-300ER or A330-300 or A340-300/500 in space of 2 yrs. Looks like command comes in approx 18months - 2 yrs after completion of all line checks - due to current major lack of flight crew.
On a plus side - money is much more than the UK for new FO's approx x1.5 - 2 of UK salaries & quicker time to LHS
Currently deciding who to fly with.
Total Time 515hrs.
Head down, Hard Work & Keep believing - it does happen

Good luck to all
HPC

54.98N
1st Oct 2006, 06:50
Started Modular training May 2001 - Finished training September 2005. I did everything part time and when holidays allowed.

1st interview May 2006, Started online last month with TP operator.

Dan 98
1st Oct 2006, 13:59
Started PPl in August 2004, ATPL's with Bristol Jan 2005 - Dec 2005. ME IR CPL March 2006 - June. 230hrsTT
Passed FR assessment on Friday.

ramshorn
1st Oct 2006, 19:53
Hi Dan
James told me that you are starting with FR.Congratulations on passing the assesment.
Good choice mate!
Thinking about going that route myself.
Did you get there by doing the online application?
Did you have a contact there at all?
Regards
Ben

AlmondBeach
12th Oct 2006, 10:36
Hi

I understand that many airlines take their low-hours pilots direct from flight schools who offer the integrated training option...

...which obviously makes life easier for those students who choose this route of training - as they will be in the right place when they qualify with their fATPL.

But, what happens if you qualify via the self improver/DIY route? How do you get that first job? I understand that most airlines receive several hundred applications per month - so the chances of interview are at near lottery-levels.

Any insight into this stage of the game would be most useful - as I cannot see how to best position yourself for a job after several years of training via the more cost-effective and flexible modular route.

Best regards

AB

badboy raggamuffin
12th Oct 2006, 11:53
"I understand that many airlines take their low-hours pilots direct from flight schools who offer the integrated training option"

Who told you this, the integrated course providers? Some airlines do, but the likes of of OAT will have you beleive that this is completely the case and that if you go modular you havent got a chance.
Do not take this as the truth. As far as I know it is only BA who only take intgegrated pilots. There are hundreds of modular guys out there who have got/ are getting jobs as we speak. If it was so difficult to get a job through the modular route then why are there so many schools offering modular training and doing very well out of it?

Go modular, think of the the cash youd save, is having a slightly better chance of getting a job straight after training really worth the extra 30000 quid or so it costs to go integrated?

fatlazypilot
12th Oct 2006, 12:00
What do you guys consider a low hour pilot? either intergrated or modular.... What is the lowest you guys have seen in euorpe?

Here in the states, its at colgan air which hire 18 year olds with 500/100 hours.

rogueflyer01
12th Oct 2006, 12:14
Instruct or pay for a TR and work for ryan air for a couple of years...

In my opionion (after doing some careful research) following the integrated path will land you into the right hand seat of a shiny jet much more quicker than someone who followed the modular path. Off course their are exceptions but generally speaking this seems to be the case.

+RF ;)

Captain Melly
12th Oct 2006, 22:27
Just want to agree to the fact that this is a very useful thread, thanks to everyone who has contributed! I am just starting out (ground school now after PPL some time ago) and the fact that jobs can be found (with hard work and determination and some serious networking of course!) makes the road ahead worthwhile.

Thanks again guys! :)

AlmondBeach
12th Oct 2006, 23:35
Indeed this is not a integrated vs. modular debate

I suggest you re-read the question I put forward (which happened to be merged by a moderator) and provide appropriate feedback if you have experience of securing a job without the assistance provided by the integrated schools and their link-ups with the major players.

That's all - no debate, just plain information from those who have succeeded.

FougaMagister
13th Oct 2006, 00:28
Started training at 32, modular (back to back) 05/2001. Finished MCC 01/2003. Then one season as Cabin Crew for a large charter outfit (no luck in networking with them from the inside), then 2.5 years as Flight Dispatcher. Got into a holding pool for a TP job yesterday.

Four things to keep in mind:
1/ CVs on their own are useless (unless you get real lucky)
2/ Get an airside job (typically dispatcher or FI) and start networking
3/ Never miss a chance to talk or pass a CV to the right person
4/ Never give up. Ever.

Cheers :cool:

Startbahn West
13th Oct 2006, 12:38
Hello,

started Jan 2001 until Jun 2002
-> intgrated
-> 200/15 hrs
-> no mcc

within the last 4 years:
many cv´s
2 intervies
no job
MCC
University

Today:
Rampagent in FRA
pre-degree at university
290/20 Hrs
MCC
SE / IR up to date
Fly sightseeing once in a while
2 intervies next month

we will see...

dont give up,
stay online and search
keep in contact with the smell of kerosin
fly anything, i would do so too.... but did not happen...

If nothing works the next 12 month...maybe dispatcher licence,
FI-Rating...but i will stay in the airline business!

Money is something, Fun is everything! :ok:

scroggs
13th Oct 2006, 14:24
What do you guys consider a low hour pilot? either intergrated or modular.... What is the lowest you guys have seen in euorpe?
Here in the states, its at colgan air which hire 18 year olds with 500/100 hours.

Less than around 500 hours is 'low hours'. It is common in UK for people to be employed on B737/A320/RJ with 200 or so hours.

Scroggs

Pilot Pete
13th Oct 2006, 23:09
In my experience, to a jet operator anything less than turbine time on a commercial aircraft in a two crew environment is considered as 'low hours'. I believe the term to be not necessarily as it is written, I think it is more about experience than hours......when I got my first jet job I had 950TT, of which 700hrs was single crew multi-engine IFR on piston twins up to C404 size. I was still considered 'low hours' and had to do exactly the same as the 200hr cadets that I started alongside.

However, to a turbo-prop airline I would broadly agree with Scroggs that 500hrs is the sort of time that starts to make you just look that little bit more experienced.

I would say that after qualifying with your circa 200hrs the next 300hrs make little difference to an airline, but they are some of the hardest to get your hands on! As I mentioned in the first paragraph, extend this up to the 1000hr mark for jet operators. After 1000hrs it comes down to the quality rather than the quantity, so you need to be 'progressing' if you want to work for an airline. 3000hrs of instructing is really not doing you any favours if you want to be considered serious about an airline job (ok if the market has slumped and it keeps you flying). Having said that I always recommend the FI rating if you don't get picked up straight away after qualifying. Just look at poor Startbahn who has only added 90hrs in the last four years. He is still at the bottom of the pile with others joining daily, and others climbing rungs on the ladder and leaving him behind. I know it can be a bitter financial pill, but if those four years had been spent instructing and then possibly flying some twins I think he could well have had a job with an airline by now......

As ever, good luck.

PP

FLT777
22nd Oct 2006, 11:43
hello all
I have recently finished high school and am persuing a career in aviation as commercial pilot...

After obtaining ATPL I was wondering if anyone could please give me some info on various airlines throughout the world.

I would just like to know about the hours, routes and all round sort of life style ect...

I like the look of Emirates and Etihad as i like the idea of living in middle east. However not sure if its the best airline to work for the moment. (AFTER READING PREVIOUS POSTS)

Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks alot:)

Altug777
24th Oct 2006, 16:07
Hi all,
I live in Turkey and i am about to get JAA Frozen ATPL in December or so.It can be sometimes difficult to find a flying job in Turkey due to reasons.So could you please give some ideas for me about searching a job outside Turkey?Which airlines hire 200 hours new Frozen ATPL owners mostly??Where i could get more chance(it can be everywhere in World)?I am waiting for your important advices :) THank you very much:rolleyes:

P1 Forever
25th Oct 2006, 09:43
Hello,

Just wondering if there is such a thing.

Once you have you fATPL, is there a particular month or time of year like spring, when you are more likely to gain employment with your first airline or does it not really matter these days...nothing to worry about.

Just a thought.

Interested in your opinion, cheers for now!

razzele
25th Oct 2006, 16:27
IR/MCC august 2005

FI job november 2005

Air Taxi job august 2006

Now 1100hrs 300multi with a bit of multi turbine every now and again !

I am slowly sneaking up that ladder, trying to make myself more and more employable by those big boys ! Fine tweaks to my CV added, and only a select few airlines that I would be really happy to work for are getting regular updates.

I might get critiscised for "select few" airline bombardment, but in reality I doubt that I would stay in the unselected airlines !

:ok:

GuinnessQueen
25th Oct 2006, 17:54
CPL /IR /MCC Completed April 2005 (whilst on 2 months unpaid leave).
Back to the aviation related desk job. June 2005, FI scholarship completed part time and finished by August 2005.
Oct 2005, gave up sensible, well paid job to instruct full time (But it was great fun)!!
April 2006 job on a TP (specialist aerial work). Had only 500 hrs when I started the job.
To Summarise:
-12 months of fairly rigourous job hunting (about 10-15 CV's per month).
-1 failed sim ride.
-2 or 3 good contacts in corporate flying that I think would have resulted eventually in an interview.
-Job was from 1 very lucky CV (and perhaps the aviation related previous desk job).
-No training costs since MCC
-Still enjoying the odd bit of instructing!
It all happened much quicker than I thought....never doubted I'd get a job eventually but realistically thought it would take about 3 years / 1000hrs.
GQ:ok:

Gravox
26th Oct 2006, 21:26
I don't know the EUROPEAN way of aviation, but it appears to me, that you all seem to be targeting the airlines. There are a few of you stating that they are working for skydivers. You need to be different than the rest. Fly for some small dodgy operator and get some experience in your log book. It will make you more appealing to the big boys, but it will be the best flying you will ever do.

I understand that a few of you see yourself as getting on in age,but enjoy every moment of flying, cos you'll only be a systems monitor as soon as you're flying the jets. I have flown C172, 182, 206, Barons, Navajo, Metros, Saab 340s, and am now in the RHS of a B737.

My first job paid AU$100 a week. I did that for 10 months and had a ball. I made some great friends, but more importantly I learned how to actually fly! I learned more in those 10months than i did in the year of training previously. I constantly landed with 10knot tail winds, beach lands, and how to fly in VMC whilst the aircraft was only VFR rated. I learned how to make command desicions and to respect the weather. The early days in your career is your training ground. If you are flying as single pilot this is where your desicion making ability really begins, there is no one next to you saying what you should do.

you should really learn to walk before you run. I had 4000hours before getting into a jet, but that is the way it is down this way, and I wouldn't change it for all the tea in china. In fact, I'm now bored and am looking for a challenge. I would love to go back and fly a Navajo again, but it is the pay that is stopping me.

Go out there get some real experience and enjoying the hands on flying. I don't know how some of you can sit around and not fly just waiting for a phone call. IT"S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! Convert your license go to Africa and try your luck. If still you don't get any flying well you can say your tried, and had a great time in the process.

I could could go on and on but I'll stop now. Don't feel hard done by if you are given an opportunity to fly an old piston, while your mate is flying a turbine, grab it it with both hands and enjoy. I had a mate with 2500hours on a C206 and loved every minute.

If you are dedicated and persevere you'll get there. GOOD LUCK
Keep the blue side UP!

berserker
26th Oct 2006, 22:56
Integrated CPL/IR finished november 04, Just finished the skill test on twin TP today. TT about 800 hrs.
Looking forward to start the line training now:)
Just believe in keeping applying and finally one will get that job!!!

wannabepilot1531
27th Oct 2006, 00:48
GRAVOX

Some of the best advice I've heard in a long time, props.

Aaron

exhercboy
27th Oct 2006, 07:36
I'm just in the process of completing my ATPL and should (fingers etc crossed) have it bagged by end of Feb07. Just thought I would test the water and see if anyone can tell me (honestly) what recruitment is likely to be around Feb time....? Much obliged! :ok:

Sphinx
27th Oct 2006, 22:27
I don't think anyone in this industry can really tell you what recruitment is going to be like from one month to the next!

However, in general there is a decent amount of jobs around at the moment (compared to when I started looking in 2002). If you are an ex-mil Herc boy I'd suggest you fill in a BA RAFCARS application form online ASAP.

You don't need to have an ATPL at the time of applying just have one when you begin working for them. Look at http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/baweb1/tpl_ba01.asp?KEY=3586516&C=214854726198&PAGESTAMP=sejolwenbcqthigkgh&nexts=INIT_JOBLISTSTART&nextss=&mode=1&newQuery=yes&searchrefno=&searchregion=0&searchlocation=0&searchbusinessunit=4228&searchtext=&formsubmit4.x=21&formsubmit4.y=7

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
29th Oct 2006, 20:17
started cpl etc in 2002 finished mid 2003 just got the first job at last. it can be done - just takes a lot longer than planned and expected !!

richc
30th Oct 2006, 17:30
6 months from modular CPL/IR - RHS 757 for Tommy Cook.

Keep the faith!

RichC