PDA

View Full Version : US DVDs in UK ?

The Nr Fairy
18th Jan 2006, 00:30
If I've got a multi-region DVD player, what other technical considerations are there if I want to buy a DVD in the US and play it in the UK ?

Is NTSC/PAL still valid since this is DVD output, or a non-issue ?

Conan the Librarian
18th Jan 2006, 00:38
I honestly wouldn't have thought there were any.

Conan

Keygrip
18th Jan 2006, 02:10
Ooooh, steady.

Depends on the DVD and TV combination that you have - and part of that will depend on where you bought the stuff.

I've purchased three multi region dvd players - and three multi region VCR's - whilst out here in Florida.

Check the specifications carefully. It's quite possible that the DVD player will PLAY any region of disc - Region 1, region 2....PAl or NTSC - quite happily but will only OUTPUT the signal in EITHER PAL or NTSC (or even SECAM - as I said, depends where you bought it).

Now a modern British telly will, quite likely, accept an NTSC signal and convert it for you to let you see it on in PAL (so your video tapes should be the right length).

Read the manuals before you dive in too far.

ORAC
18th Jan 2006, 04:40
Agree with the above. The player may output NTSC as either NTSC, PAL or pseudo-PAL depending on the spec. Most modern TVs will handle NTSC anyway, if not your picture will be in black anf white, Check the spec of both your TV and the player.

BEagle
18th Jan 2006, 08:26
My Panasonic DMR-E55 was converted to multi-region when I bought it and NTSC DVDs or any region play back fine in either RGB or RF with the TV System set to PAL - as the output is then in PAL 60, sometimes termed 'pseudo-NTSC'.

The TV must be capable of pseudo-NTSC PAL signals, as I understand it. What is the make/model of your TV and DVD player, NrF?

The Nr Fairy
18th Jan 2006, 10:54
Philips LX3750 DVD player, with a Sony analog telly. With the pointers give, I've looked at the manual online, and there's a "PAL" output option which forces all output to PAL.

Excellent - one copy of March of the Penguins in the suitcase for the nipper - thanks all.