PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 747 or Airbus 320?

lillis
17th Jan 2006, 22:16
Boeing 747 or Airbus 320?
Which would anyone consider the safest, most comfortable airplane?

Ryanair or Aerlingus (Ireland), which would you prefer to fly with and why?

Rainboe
17th Jan 2006, 22:24
Why do you ask? You have asked a question expecting to ellicit replies. Is it out of idle curiousity in a bored moment or is there some agenda? Is this some trap (Ryanair v. Aer Lingus)? As you ask the question, are you really trying to compare a 747 with an Airbus? So what is the basis of your query?

lillis
17th Jan 2006, 22:34
I have no hidden agenda, this is my first post and i am petrified of flying.....just wanted some opinions..it's not a case of 1 versus the other, just asking for anyones opinion regarding this topic....

flyblue
17th Jan 2006, 22:37
What Rainboe means is that your question does not make sense. Perform a search on the A/C manufacturers and types, and the airlines, and you'll know why.

lillis
17th Jan 2006, 22:46
If I knew anything about flying i probably wouldn't be asking this question.
However I appreciate your confusion. I should have typed Boeing 737 not 747 ....:confused:

SyllogismCheck
17th Jan 2006, 22:50
Strewth, what a horrible thought. Imagine the boarding free-for-all on an FR all economy 747. :eek:

For reassurance though, either aircraft and either airline is safe far, far beyond any purposeful comparison.
Have a nice flight.

Conan the Librarian
17th Jan 2006, 22:51
Only advice I can give, is don't try the A320 if you are going direct to Los Angeles

Conan

DaveO'Leary
17th Jan 2006, 23:22
Ryanair have softer bottie paper in the loo. Little things can mean alot. Hey that's a good ad headline!! I know someone who might use that.

O'L

lillis
17th Jan 2006, 23:33
:bored: Guess I won't be gettin any serious answers here....
thanx anyway

lillis
17th Jan 2006, 23:37
Had a good ole laugh at my ignorance though! he he

SyllogismCheck
17th Jan 2006, 23:54
Hey, take that back right now!
Read back, saying either and either are incalculably safe is a serious answer... bloomin' cheek of it... I dunno... :hmm:

Ok, I edited it in afterwards so can understand how you missed it. ;)

Conan the Librarian
18th Jan 2006, 00:36
Illis, come back! We are not that bad a bunch and if you ask exactly what is on your mind, you will find more sense here than almost anywhere else that you can think of.

It is ok - I promise

Conan

amanoffewwords
18th Jan 2006, 08:40
Personally give me an Airbus 320 anytime :ok:

I found them more confortable and perhaps quieter than the 737. I haven't flown on Ryanair yet but have on Airlingus so can't comment on their configuration/confort etc. But I have flown on GB Airways on a brand-spanking new A320 and on an older BA 737 or two in the past - again my preference would be for the former, with one caveat: the latest generation 737 (800?) is supposed to be designed to make it more confortable/accessible etc for the passenger so at the end of the end of the day there's probably going to be very little difference between the two. In terms of safety of course it is said that it is safer to fly than to cross the road (statistically of course).

Cheers,
amofw

anotherglassofwine
18th Jan 2006, 11:03
Hi lillis,
I do a lot of travelling between the UK and Ireland - if I go on Business, and work are paying - I fly Air France (CityJet). If I am popping over to my mates and I am paying , I take whichever is cheaper between Ryanair, Aer Lingus and BMI. I suppose I am saying that there isn't a huge difference on short haul routes across Europe. Both are fine and give the basic standard of service you'd expect when you pay 9 euro for your flights. As for boeing or airbus - I have no preference . I am quite fussy longhaul though - like my inflight entertainment and decent food - so thats a different story - and I don't recommend Aer Lingus btw.
Safety is something I can't answer, the stats speak for themselves. A search of the forums here will reassure you. The folks in the pointy end are more scrutinised then heart surgeons - so whether it be Ryanair or Aer Lingus - from a pax point of view - bog all difference (as they say in the west!)
Driving on Irish roads is a much bigger worry for me.
Happy flying!

Rainboe
18th Jan 2006, 14:23
Now we know I am happy to help provide an answer Lillis. Here it is......it doesn't matter. Flying is superbly safe. Sure once in a blue moon there is an accident in Europe on these airlines.....except I can't remember the last one on Aer Lingus, Ryanair, Easyjet etc. Just watch the deadly bit driving to and from the airport. As for comfort, the Airbus has a slightly wider cabin so I suppose that is a tiny bit better, but it doesn't matter because you are hardly there for long. If you're really anxious, take the ferry/train. You'll only do it once, then fly next time, so fly this time. Just sit there and think what you're going to do when you get there and forget about it. People spend their whole working lives doing what youo're frightened to do once! Pull yourself together and stop being a baby man!

The SSK
18th Jan 2006, 14:54
I guess you have a trip planned, from Ireland to somewhere, and either an Aer Lingus A320 or a Ryanair B737 will get you there.
First consideration - will they both use the same destination airport? If not, what is the difference in terms of convenience.
2 - price. Be sure to take into account the price you will be charged, not the price they advertise on their home page.
3 - schedule. Check the timings which are most convenient for you and if necessary trade off with #2.
Apart from that, will you have a lot of luggage? Check their rules on their websites.
Don't know if Aer Lingus have allocated seating, if they do, that must be a plus for an inexperienced flyer. If it's a fine day ask for a window seat, if it's dull or nighttime get an aisle seat.
Safety either of the airline or the aircraft should not be a consideration. As for comfort, Ryanair put 189 seats in a B737 whereas a 'quality' airline would have 165. EI's A320s seat 174 compared to 150 on a full-service airline. In other words, the squeeze factor is about the same.
The choice is yours. I've had a lot of pleasant journeys on 'the old' Aer Lingus so I know which one I would choose.

superspotter
18th Jan 2006, 20:46
Personally, I enjoy flying in anything that get's me there;)

ExSimGuy
20th Jan 2006, 16:06
First thing - if ypou're nervous, just remember that the guys (or gals) up front are as concerned for their safety as you are for yours, and they are the ones who are "in the lead" - nobody ever heard of an aircrafrt reversing into a mountain:\

Regarding the aircraft types - I fly a lot of short-haul in 320s and they are fine for a couple of hours' flight. I also flew in a Tarom 737-800 recently, about 4 hours to their homebase and the same again from there to UK, quite a pleasant flight (not mentioning the problems with the baggage screening equipment at "home base" that all pax had to use, despite coming from a Tarom flight and going to a Tarom flight :bored: and which was out of order!)

As posted earlier, check the fares, check the times and the airports, and have a good first flight!

ExSim

I won't include the "Martin Baker ad" on this post!

BOAC
20th Jan 2006, 16:53
Well, lillis, you have 'the advice' there. Flying - no problem, 737 or A/B. Just do NOT travel to the airport - that is too dangerous!

I think we'll shut this one before we get an A/B-Boeing thread or a RyanAir slagging thread.:)