PDA

View Full Version : Stanstead-Koln, Route?

ExSimGuy
17th Jan 2006, 18:56
A friend is soon flying from Stanstead to Koln, and wants to get a map to show what he is likely to see from the window. (Yeah - I already said he'd see lots of cloud :} )

Can anyone point me to a web site that will predict the actual routing between the two cities? His wife wants to be able to "spot" where she is (apart from seat 25C)

Me, I'm more used to knowing with ful confidence that there's nothing but bl00dy sand under me!)

BOAC
17th Jan 2006, 19:59
ESG - can I assume that is GermanWings? In any case, I will put this over to 'Routes' to see if an EGSS-Germany operator can help you.

tommyc2005
17th Jan 2006, 20:38
Sitting on side A departing towards Bishops Stortford he will see Hatfield Forest, turn towards Chelmsford, overfly Hanningfield Resevoir flying towards Wickford, down to Basildon, turn along the River Thames at Tilbury with an excellent view of Southend further along. The airport should be visible, as will the pier. The shallow water and sand/mudbanks are clearly visible. The flight will then turn down towards Kent, overfly Sheerness on Sheppey flying along the north Kent coast, with Manston possibly being seen depending if the flight goes south enough. Then, out across the North Sea to Ostend, across to Brussels. Then descend down to Cologne. Hope this helps.

ExSimGuy
18th Jan 2006, 17:08
Thanks, Tommy. I have passed that on to my pal in UK. Hopefully he can plot that out on a map - presumably for his "Mrs", as I know he's many, many hours of flying as a pax - mostly in Hercs, flying across the Atlantic - or maybe he likes the idea of looking out of a window when he's not freezing his wotsits off and being deafened!

"Side A" - obviously a Captain - I'm honoured!!!!!!

"German Wings"? Is that a German "loco"? I'm pretty sure my mate will be on a loco, but not sure which one

Stu

BOAC
18th Jan 2006, 17:11
Thanks Tommy - quick and helpful - are you free to help me navigate?:)

ESG - that's the only one I could find on Expedia on that route. There may be others.

ExSimGuy
18th Jan 2006, 17:41
Yes, he's going German Wings - did that company take over Air Berlin? When Tony first booked it was Air Berlin, but now German Wings (03/Feb/2006 Flt No 4U 331, Return 08/Feb/2006 Flt No 4U 330)

BOAC
18th Jan 2006, 18:25
Wiki says not - 49% Lufti owned.

Buster the Bear
18th Jan 2006, 20:52
I am a mere thick bear. Please tell me, where is Stanstead?

Avman
18th Jan 2006, 21:20
Best is to sit on the left side. Upon crossing the Belgian coast Ostend will be on the left. If the visibility is good Bruges (a little inland and a little further north) and Ghent (almost below) will also come into view. 4 minutes or so after Ghent comes Brussels. Look for the Atomium a few miles SSW of the airport. Another 6 minutes and they will fly right over Liege where they'll turn left for Norvenich and CGN. Maastricht and Aachen can be seen. (All the above can be seen on the left side. Bugger all to see on the right)! After that it depends on the runway at CGN.

BAe 146-100
19th Jan 2006, 19:40
I'm sure from EGSS they have the option of going over the Nederlands too? I know that is an option from EGCC, although HLX from EGCC normally choose to route over Belgium too as it saves a few minutes.

Tell your friend that he will be very impressed with CGN airport, its really quite an impressive construction. CGN is quite a big airport in area, with a massive main runway! The taxi can be quite long, so tell your friend to be prepared! :ok:

BAe 146